Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Cactus Jim ( )
Date: July 26, 2022 03:01AM

This is a book available for free online by professor Bob Altmeyer from Canada. He explains about who and what Authoritarian followers are and also what kind of monsters autoritarian leaders are. There are tests to measure your authoritarian level. Quite enlightening. Authoritarian followers make good mobbers. They like to have their beliefs validated by the people around them. They will attach themselves to leaders like brownshirts to Hitler and they will absolutely hate the "others" who aren't part of their group. They tend to be Conservative politically and Evangelical (Mormons) theologically. Trump says he could stand in 5th avenue and shoot someone and his followers would still vote for him. That was one of the few things he ever said that was completely true. Russell M Ballard could say the same thing. For people leaving the LDS church in the time of Trump, Putin, Emperor Xi, and Kim Jun Un, it splains a lot.

https://theauthoritarians.org/

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: olderelder ( )
Date: July 27, 2022 08:02PM

It has only become more true since its original publication.

I happened to run across this related thought today:
"People with authoritarian personality types have poor coping skills and poor emotional self-regulation, and therefore seek to control others instead of themselves."

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: July 27, 2022 08:37PM

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: July 28, 2022 02:34AM

I happen to think that’s often overstated / hyperbole but nevertheless accurate in a few extreme cases such as BY.

There is usually some ‘office politics’ involved in promotions & even performance evals, but I’m not sure that applies in our highly technical world now as before.

Each GA & FP member has a separate & distinct personality, I don’t care to classify them as clones.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.