Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Lori C ( )
Date: July 31, 2022 04:01AM

For those of you permanently estranged from your families….you need to hear the first .50 seconds of this. This was 3 days ago. This is the man these people trust and believe.

Unless some unforeseen event happens in their lives….you will not get them back.

This is terrifying. This is how MMM happened and this is 2022…

https://youtu.be/zbSF7ZAtuw4

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: July 31, 2022 07:42AM

A cult is still a cult.

https://youtu.be/JC0tqZfMv34

Just because you have money and resources doesn't make you any less of a cult.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: July 31, 2022 10:10AM

Ugggh. He's such a sourpuss.

Notice he doesn't come out and say that God Himself isn't going to directly tell you crap about all that stuff you are supposed to do.
Everything he said basically means you are to do what the church tells you.

Date: July 31, 2022 10:26AM

Agreed.

This is what radicalized the Lafferty family. This right here.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: July 31, 2022 10:56AM

Agree. What does that even mean, to "put God first"? I have a life to live, people to see, things to do.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: July 31, 2022 10:26AM

Actually, there was a good deal more that made MMM possible. It would take more than a geriatric spouter of standard Mormon "I will go where you want me to go, dear Lord" boilerplate.

As far as Nelson being the man they trust and believe, I didn't notice an unusually large number of people in Utah calling for mask mandates or getting vaccinated. There are also news reports that there has been a spike in lapsed temple recommends since the pandemic hit. I believe a TR is good for 2 years, so since people have had a break from the two hour block every week, a significant percentage have decided they can live without LDS Inc.

Not only is MMM not on the horizon IMHO, I don't think the threat of family estrangement has the teeth that it once had. Nelson may have been trying to blow some life back into that, but I don't see him as succeeding.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: July 31, 2022 10:34AM

There’s a Nelson (HA-ha!) quote out there about not turning your back on friends and family who have left the church, else they may not return when the spirit tells them to, cuz someone was mean to them.

He’s such a beautiful man!

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: July 31, 2022 05:13PM

"they may not return when the spirit tells them to"

Never underestimate the power of tequila.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: August 01, 2022 04:57AM

The MMM was fueled by deep seated hate caused by extreme past persecution and the PTSD it causes. Just like how the people in Hancock County snapped and turned to murder and extreme measures the Mormons in the Cedar City area snapped and took their revenge.

What causes this snap is extremism. When you think you are the chosen people you are going to cause people to hate you. It's guaranteed and someone eventually snaps and whacks someone and then you have payback and counter payback.

Posted by: auntsukey ( )
Date: July 31, 2022 01:25PM

Don't know about you, but I sure wouldn't let him cut into my heart under the direction of Gawd.

Are any mortality rates available about his patients?

Posted by: schrodingerscat ( )
Date: July 31, 2022 02:35PM

“God will challenge each one of us to an Abrahamic test.” Rusty Nelson, PRetend Prophet

So your murderous God is going to command each of us to kill our own children, then tell us “psyche! I was just Fuckin with you!?!?”? Anything short of that doesn’t come close to an Abrahamic Test’.
Banging your neighbors wife after sending him on an overseas mission certainly was no ‘Abrahamic Test’.

Posted by: heartbroken ( )
Date: July 31, 2022 02:50PM

Most Christian religions tell members to let Jesus into their lives. Nelson one-ups them by telling members to let God "prevail" in their lives. I don't think anyone knows how to do that or what it even means. It's why we have Jesus. Christians can relate to Jesus but not to God. Some can't even relate to Jesus but pray directly to his Mother, Mary. God is big and powerful and scary.

Posted by: Villager ( )
Date: July 31, 2022 03:01PM

...the last 60 seconds of the last speaker is selling the SECOND ANOINTING. Bribing the members with a carrot on a stick.Do this and we will give you THIS!

...I was brave and listened to the whole link. The general authorities berate the members by slamming anyone who wants any kind of life outside of the Mormon church. They definitely are not seeking diversity in its members and everyone needs to follow marching orders.

Not a drop of kindness or empathy, They are a bunch of mean old weenies.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: July 31, 2022 04:55PM

MORE AND MORE I want to paticipate LESS ANDLESS

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: July 31, 2022 04:57PM

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: July 31, 2022 05:05PM

Does he mention Honesty and/or Kindness ?

How about Repentance & Forgiving?

It used to be that everything was Black OR White in Morland (the above Not Included)

I guess now it’s Only what RMN says.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/31/2022 05:26PM by GNPE.

Posted by: schrodingerscat ( )
Date: July 31, 2022 05:55PM

Having Empathy for “others” is like Kryptonite to MORmONs.

Date: July 31, 2022 05:16PM

Silver-tongued devils

Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: July 31, 2022 05:52PM

I spent a good portion of my life as a truly devout Mormon. I occasionally had very serious thoughts about what I would or would not do for the church. One of those occasions was September 11, 2001.

Even at my most extreme level of devotion, I knew that I could never kill someone for the church. There were times when I was sufficiently devout that I would have died for the church, but I wouldn’t have killed anyone-even if that request come personally from the president of the church. And yes, I did ponder that exact scenario.

Date: July 31, 2022 06:19PM

Everything in MoMism is a one-way street;

listen to leaders, but don't expect Them to Listen to you.

Give until you're broken then Give dome more.

* Tolerate if not Love those who abuse you, even with hate, lies, & Greed.

* Never expect anything in return, including respect for your life choices.

* Simply annoying & petty micromanagement

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: July 31, 2022 06:30PM

True.

What irks me is that they teach that the average person isn't smart enough or entitled to have direct instructions from God about what to be doing every night of the week.
You have to follow a prophet or priesthood middle man to make sure God is telling you the right stuff.

If God wants you to do X or Y, He could figure out a way to tell you without them micromanaging God's instructions for every darn thing.

Date: July 31, 2022 08:04PM

Rusty is the pimp with a million hoes

Posted by: Shinehah ( )
Date: July 31, 2022 06:30PM

With all the factual information available regarding church history and doctrine about all the leaders have left is "listen only to us and obey us. Pay no attention to anything else. "

Posted by: RPackham ( )
Date: July 31, 2022 07:15PM

Maybe I'm being superficial or nit-picking, but I watched the short part with Nelson, and what struck me (as it often did with Monson) is the robot-like delivery, merely mouthing words, with phony attempts to portray sincerety with artificial facial expressions or gestures. Like a bad actor who is not in character, just saying the lines.

Date: July 31, 2022 10:39PM

nailed it. “Once you can fake sincerity… “

It seems like no message of having a sincere personal - emotional connection with the membership ever reached them.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/01/2022 12:17PM by GNPE.

Date: August 01, 2022 01:53AM

Mormon prophets are pretty disposable and many of the members know it. It’s hard to take people so old and out of touch seriously. Russ could go at any time. The younger people view the older people as complete failures because not much of a world was left for them and they certainly aren’t going to tighten up their butt cheeks and salute old crazies like Russell M Nelson.

Date: August 01, 2022 02:10AM

Younger people in leadership should have a longer view of policies & procedures but that doesn’t seem to apply to MoMism / ChurchCo.

Date: August 01, 2022 05:07AM

In my family most the young people have left the church. Even in the uber TBM part of it. The church just becomes an extra hassle and burden and offers them nothing but guilt.

The church leaders seem to want a church full of true believing fanatics but you aren't going to grow with that. People want a church for social reasons. The church has destroyed all of that.

Most members I know hate attending the temple. The endowment ceremony is widely despised. What people really want is a quality social structure that's fun and supporting. They really could care less about ordinances.

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: August 01, 2022 07:05AM

Rubicon Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> The church leaders seem to want a church full of
> true believing fanatics but you aren't going to
> grow with that.

In other words, it's a C.U.L.T. ‐‐ i.e. "cult."

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/01/2022 07:08AM by anybody.

Date: August 01, 2022 07:23AM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.