Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: moon1943 ( )
Date: August 07, 2022 07:05PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySLMHFOZA7o

It is an interesting question. Certainly not more than one God the father who created the whole universe, including all the galaxies.

From a Christian perspective we are taught that God sent his one and only son in the body of Christ. Galaxies do not interact very often. Really only when they merge with each other. For example, the Milky Way will merge with Andromeda in another 4 billion years.

Does that mean the Milky Way is so special, and if intelligent life arose in the Andromeda galaxy would those intelligent beings located in Andromeda simply be out of luck for 4 billion years ? What would the presence of God and or the son of God be in the Andromeda galaxy?

I am sure that intelligent life is evolving all over this universe. That is a question that cannot be answered for about 4 billion years when the Milky Way will finally merge with Andromeda. By then I expect the human race will have colonized the entire Milky Way galaxy.

Within a 100 hundreds years telescope technology will be good enough to resolve planets in our galaxy quite well and determine if there is life on those planets. Resolving planets orbiting stars in the Andromeda galaxy would be more difficult, but imagine what could be done in 10,000 years. By then we should know something about the evelolution of life in the Andromeda galaxy.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/07/2022 07:12PM by moon1943.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: August 07, 2022 07:20PM

MAKE MY LIFE better or more worthwhile?
I wil still have to provide food--shelter-- and clothing
No mattere what the future hlds.!!

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )

Your answer is in the King Follett Discourse.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )

Our ghawd, Elohim, has a ghawd, who has ghawd, etc., and there is no running out of turtles.

With 6 trillion Galaxies, and counting, who's to say how the spoils are divvied up?

Date: August 07, 2022 07:21PM

My ghawd could kick your ghawd's backside.

Date: August 07, 2022 07:25PM

My ghawd just happens to be sensitive... Poetic, even! His anteroom is so tastefully done!

Date: August 07, 2022 07:28PM

The Oscar Wilde of the Celestial Kingdom? I should have known.

Date: August 07, 2022 07:46PM

What you know v. what you should have known . . .

What an amusing topic of conversation!!

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: August 07, 2022 08:50PM

My God is a woman with biblical PMS. Don't piss her off.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: August 07, 2022 07:43PM

I hope that humans, and our successors, are around to see first contact. I think our best hope for survival of our species is to start forming self-sustaining colonies off-planet.

The majesty of the universe does have the tendency to make our religious systems and beliefs seem puny by comparison.

One novel that I really enjoyed this summer was "Project Hail Mary" by Andy Weir. If you've ever seen the movie, "The Martian" with Matt Damon, which was based on Weir's novel of the same name, then you might like this novel as well (although there is more overt science fiction in it.) Weir uses real-world science to the greatest extent possible in his novels, and his main characters use that science to solve complex, urgent problems. By the end of Project Hail Mary, I was a believer. Science is our best hope for solving our problems. If you believe in God, or a god, then I would be perfectly happy saying that God gave us science, and expects us to use it to the greatest extent possible.

Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: August 07, 2022 07:45PM

Gawd told his profit(sic) Joe that he had created “worlds without number.” The Milky Way has roughly 100 billion stars. Many of those stars have planets, but certainly not all of them, and it’s reasonable to assume that the overwhelming majority of those planets are uninhabited (would the almighty consider uninhabited planets to be “worlds”?).

100 billion is a big number, but it’s still a number. In order to have worlds without number, Elohim must have other galaxies.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: August 08, 2022 12:38AM

Or maybe Elohim is not that good at math. Considering what he gave JS as a translation device, less than 200 years before the development of the iPhone (a vastly superior device), I’m guess science is not his strong suit.

In fact, I’m not sure what his strong suit is.

Posted by: kentish ( )
Date: August 07, 2022 09:24PM

I have recently been reading about the Ludlow Massacre. Stop the world, I want to get off onto a better one.

Posted by: Richard Foxe ( )
Date: August 07, 2022 10:02PM

If a cell could question, that is."Are there other bodies out there comprised of their own cell-systems?" Like thedesertrat1's comment above, would such knowledge in any way release the cell from its own function in its containing organ, system, and human body? Again, if that cell had volition, it might be NOT to become cancerous and thus work against the harmonious functioning of its local part.

Date: August 07, 2022 11:00PM

If God created the universe, then who created God? And who created the creator of God?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/07/2022 11:02PM by moon1943.

Date: August 07, 2022 11:08PM

Ah yes, the age-old question.

Here's the answer:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turtles_all_the_way_down#/media/File:River_terrapin.jpg

It's sort of a reverse King Follett.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/07/2022 11:09PM by Lot's Wife.

Date: August 08, 2022 12:40AM

What type of galaxies are able to stop producing their own stars, and start consuming other galaxies instead?

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: August 08, 2022 12:50AM

A couple of points:

If Andromeda is colliding with the Milky Way in 4 billion years, that’s about the same time the sun will expand and toast everything on earth.

Second, galaxies don’t actually collide. Stars are so far apart, that even with many billions of stars in each galaxy, the statistically most likely outcome is that the two galaxies will pass through each other with no direct collisions between stars. The gravitational pull will distort the galaxy shape, but it’s not like there will be a bunch of extra stars within commuting range.

Posted by: schrodingerscat ( )
Date: August 09, 2022 04:30PM

Each galaxy has its own black hole singularity and each black hole singularity could contain its own mini-universe, which would finally solve the Hawking Paradox.

https://www.popularmechanics.com/science/a40847455/hawking-paradox/

“One new iteration of this idea suggests that the singularity at the heart of a black hole - the infinitely curved point at which all laws of physics break down- is actually a separate and distinct infant universe.”

Posted by: moehoward ( )
Date: August 10, 2022 09:41AM

This thread reminds me a famous scene in Animal House
https://youtu.be/JUOGxePBs50

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.