Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: kentish ( )
Date: August 09, 2022 04:29PM

After waiting two weeks for healthcare insurance approval and the surgeon being on vacation for two weeks I finally have my microdiscectomy surgery date August 22. Now if I can just avoid slashing my wrists and decrease my growing surliness over the pain I am all set. Anyone had this procedure who can tell me what to expect?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: summer ( )
Date: August 09, 2022 04:30PM

Good luck, Kentish!

Date: August 09, 2022 04:33PM

Thanks.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: August 09, 2022 04:39PM

You’ve got this!!!

Because E = M*C Hammer, squared!!

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: August 09, 2022 05:26PM

I'm sorry you have to put up with so much pain for so long! Glad there is an action planned for you.

Posted by: [|] ( )
Date: August 09, 2022 06:02PM

I haven't had it, but I know several people who have.

Their experience is that the leg pain is gone after a few days, but the back pain may take a few weeks to resolve although it tends to be less than before surgery. There will be incisional pain for several days as with any surgery.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: August 09, 2022 07:09PM

Congratulations, Kentish. I hope the procedure goes well and you are back on the soccer pitch in no time.

Posted by: Kentish ( )
Date: August 09, 2022 10:39PM

Oh if only.

Date: August 09, 2022 10:45PM

Thanks for the info. I haven't done heavy work nor participated in sports for many years. Glad I can look forward to it lol. I was a pretty mean number 9 in my day.

Date: August 15, 2022 06:55PM

A striker?

Speed as well as contained aggression: gotta love it!

Date: August 15, 2022 07:11PM

Loved the game as a boy. Saturdays were all football. Out for my school team in the morning playing for the Boy's Brigade (inspiration for Boy Scouts) team in the afternoon.

Date: August 15, 2022 07:21PM

PS for Nightingale. Boy's Brigade is one of the great things to come out of Scotland, founded the in the early 1880s. It has a naval theme and it inspired Baden Powell to create Boy Scouts. Great motto "Sure and Steadfast".

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: August 19, 2022 07:32PM

kentish Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> PS for Nightingale. Boy's Brigade is one of the
> great things to come out of Scotland, founded the
> in the early 1880s. It has a naval theme and it
> inspired Baden Powell to create Boy Scouts. Great
> motto "Sure and Steadfast".

Thanks, kentish! That's an interesting piece of history.

Other great things about Scotland:

Highlands
Highland cattle
Mountains
Islands
Lochs (Lomond!)
Isle of Skye
Inverness

Edinburgh Castle
Edinburgh City
The Royal Mile

Stunning scenery

Pipes
Music
Musicians

Ancient castles
Ancient universities

Royal Edinburgh Military Tattoo

Clever folks like Watt (steam engine), Bell (telephone) and Baird (TV)

Medical contributions: penicillin, MRI scanner, fridge, toaster and my personal fave - disposable contact lenses

Nessie
The Unicorn

Thistle
Wool
Shortbread biscuits

Amazing accents

Weather (!)

Populated since 12,000 BC (mind-boggling!)

Then at some point the Romans showed up (in the AD '70s). Apparently, they couldn't take the weather. :)

My sister and her husband and daughter travelled to Scotland in May. They spent most of their time on the Isle of Skye and also researching family history in various places. They were amazed and impressed by the U of Glasgow (ancient buildings - 1451!)

They brought back souvenirs, as you do. Most unfortunately, despite all precautions, they all came home with Covid too. Sis was quite ill for a good few days and the others were pretty miserable too. Too bad that happened but otherwise it was a great and memorable trip.

I love Scotland. I'd love to visit again some day.

Date: August 09, 2022 07:31PM

Oooh, I wince when I read your back pain posts, kentish. I work with a physician who specializes in back pain from numerous causes (which doesn't make me an expert) and I know it can be debilitating. You've had a long go of it. Glad to hear you're on the list to get some relief. (I can't imagine you being surly, btw, but ongoing pain tends to bleed the thrill out of life, for sure).

I'm sure you've been well informed by your MD and perhaps from Google searches on your own but here are two brief articles on microdiscectomy. It all sounds very promising.

All the best! I'll have a pint for you on August 22 (3 days before my XXth birthday!)

https://www.uscspine.com/treatement-options/back-treatment/microdiscectomy/

“The results of microdiscectomy surgery in the treatment of a painful, herniated disc are generally excellent. Numerous research studies in medical journals demonstrate greater than 90-96% good or excellent results from microdiscectomy surgery. Most patients are noted to have a rapid improvement of their pain and return to normal function.

“Patients may return to light work duties as early as 1-2 weeks after surgery, depending on when the surgical pain has subsided. Patients may return to heavy work and sports as early as 4-6 weeks after surgery, if the surgical pain has subsided and the back strength has returned appropriately with physical therapy.”

https://www.spine-health.com/treatment/back-surgery/microdiscectomy-microdecompression-spine-surgery

“…a microdiscectomy uses minimally invasive techniques and can be done with a relatively small incision and minimal tissue damage or disruption.

“For leg pain, patients will normally feel pain relief almost immediately after a microdiscectomy. They will usually go home from the surgery with significant pain relief.

“As a general rule, microdiscectomy is considered a relatively reliable surgery for immediate, or nearly immediate, relief of sciatica from a lumbar herniated disc.”

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/09/2022 07:32PM by Nightingale.

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: August 09, 2022 10:45PM

Good luck, Kentish.
I can’t imagine you being surely.

Date: August 15, 2022 06:47PM

I mean surly.

Date: August 15, 2022 07:47PM

Either way, I have my moments.

Date: August 15, 2022 07:37PM

That's good news. I hope it helps.

Be careful if they prescribe oxy for pain. I was prescribed it after a surgery. It helped, but I didn't especially like it. Thankfully I didn't have addictive tendencies for it. I don't want you to trade one problem for another!

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: August 22, 2022 03:28AM

A couple of years ago I had a total replacement of my right shoulder, after several unsuccessful attempts to repair it with lesser levels of surgery. I think I was sent home with a dozen oxys.Much to my surprise, I didn't need them. I think I took one, the first time I had pain post-op, but after that, my favorite OTC pain reliever, Excedrin, did the job.

I kept the oxys, "just in case," and have gradually used them up over time, because when you get to be in your 70s, various body parts tend to hurt. That's just how it goes. But I never had enough oxys to become addicted to them, and they did come in handy from time to time since then.

I have been afraid of addiction since growing up with a sloppy-drunk widowed mother. Her father was an alcoholic too, so the tendency toward addiction runs in the family.

Posted by: Arkay ( )
Date: August 17, 2022 04:54PM

I had surgery for a herniated disc 9 years ago. I had sciatica, the pain was at times unbearable. I got immediate relief after the surgery. A bigger problem was that I had taken narcotics for several months prior to surgery (due to NSAID allergy), withdrawal was a terrible ordeal. I did the shake and bake at night, I was sweaty and irritable during the day. I never took more than I was prescribed and often less. One day I got home from work and stared at the prescription I had for 100 more pills, I knew I had a critical decision to make. My decision was to drop it in the shredder and not fill it, if I didn't have them I couldn't take them.

Best of luck with your back surgery, you should feel considerably better right after. My only lingering pain was the incision.

Date: August 17, 2022 06:33PM

I have an oxy prescription for pain prescribed by my family doctor in late June. I have probably not take more than 4 half pills since then but have relied on Tylenol. The pain at times has been nasty but I have a history of kidney stones which is the ultimate marker for me as far as pain goes. Those with similar history will know well what I mean.

Posted by: cl2notloggedin ( )
Date: August 17, 2022 08:36PM

It may be 4. Somewhere in there he wasn't living with me and so I lost track as he had several inguinal hernia surgeries, too.

He was the grounds supervisor at the hospital (until he retired in June) and he had a lot of injuries. His first back surgery he had to wait a long time. They had him have a few shots and none every worked. He couldn't even walk sometimes.

We saw an immediate change. He would say the same thing. BUT do what the doctor says. Be very careful. Do what the therapists tell you to do.

Date: August 19, 2022 07:42PM

Glad for you, kentish, that your surgery is coming up on Monday. Here's hoping it makes a huge, and immediate, difference to your physical comfort and quality of life.

On another note, I'm using your thread to post about the Dieppe raid during WWII, widely acknowledged to have been disastrous and tragic, including/especially for Canadian troops.

Today (Friday, August 19, 2022) is the 80th anniversary of the disaster in Dieppe, France. Amazingly, there are still survivors who were part of the operation and a few attended memorial services today in Canada.

Here is some coverage, including music for you, kentish, and anybody else who's interested.

The stats are: Many Canadian soldiers wounded, 916 killed (in less than 10 hours) and 1,946 taken as prisoners of war. Most of them remained captive until the end of the war in Europe, almost three years later.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/windsor/dieppe-80th-anniversary-windsor-ceremony-1.6555461

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/windsor/dieppe-raid-world-war-two-essex-and-kent-scottish-france-anniversary-1.6552943

https://montreal.ctvnews.ca/dieppe-remembering-one-of-the-worst-disasters-in-canadian-military-history-1.6034389

https://calgaryherald.com/news/local-news/one-calgary-veteran-recounts-the-horrors-of-dieppe-and-wwii-from-the-archives

Around 1757 Jean Elliot composed the lyrics (the originals were lost to history) for ‘Flowers of the Forest’ to accompany the ancient tune. The refrain is “The Flooers of the Forest are a’ wede awa’”, which means, “The Flowers of the Forest [the young men] are all wilted away.”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PPZ4okTBpc

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/19/2022 07:48PM by Nightingale.

Date: August 20, 2022 09:41AM

Thanks Nightingale. I am familiar with what happened at Dieppe overall. if not the details. I think it good to remember these events and what it took to win WW2. I am of that generation that was shaped by those times. The Last Post always gets to me and never more forcefully than when I stood at the Menin Gate and looked up at the names of the thousands listed there of whom no trace was ever found, many Canadians among them. "They are not missing, they are here." Heroes all.

Surgery set for Monday. Have to be there at 5:30 am. They must know w hat a morning person I am lol.

Date: August 21, 2022 01:50AM

Such reminiscences are particularly poignant now, as we live through an age in which so many people want to throw away what the sacrifices of WWII achieved.

Date: August 22, 2022 10:38AM

Good luck today, Kentish ! :)

Date: August 22, 2022 02:18PM

Yes, thinking of you.

Date: August 22, 2022 05:30PM

Hey it’s about 3.30. Came to in recovery room about 9.45. Some pain and got heavy med. since then only Tylenol. Waiting on doctor to see if I go home or stay night. Doing great no leg pain. Apologies to doctor but it must be that stiff upper lip thing kicking in. Ain’t it great!

Date: August 22, 2022 05:34PM

Great to know, kentish! Thanks for the update.

Modern medicine - gotta love it!

Take it easy though. Don't rush things. And don't hesitate to take the recommended dosage of any meds, including for pain, because you want to stay out ahead of things. Easier to prevent or ameliorate than to control.

Yes, that Brit lip comes in handy.

Take care. Lucky your good wife is there to wait on you hand and foot if needed. :)

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: August 22, 2022 05:46PM

Ah, yes, the noble Englishman, stiff upper lip and all.

Just lie there and think of England!

Date: August 22, 2022 05:57PM

Absolutely. "If I should die..." and all that. The best medicine. Just went for a second walk way down the hallway and back. Thanks so much for all the good wishes and encouragement.

Date: August 22, 2022 06:33PM

This is very good news !

:)

Date: August 22, 2022 06:34PM

Congratulations, Kentish. Great news.

Date: August 22, 2022 10:33PM

Just got home. They decided I could go home instead of staying the night. Just on Tylenol at the moment. Terrific people st the surgery center. But the doctor has a perverse sense of humor. Said it was down to my Irishness. I do have some Irish dna but that was below the belt. Lol

Date: August 22, 2022 10:52PM

Kentish Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I do have some Irish dna but that was below the belt. Lol

Isn't that the truth?!

Date: August 22, 2022 10:59PM

Rest well. Hoping for a fast and complete recovery. You're a trooper.

Thanks for sharing your experience so we all can learn more.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.