Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: August 17, 2022 09:49PM

I saw this on KSL at 5 today but now I really had to hunt to find it online. I do not condone the vandalism. But I've never had a hard time reading more about news stories like I did tonight. hmmmm

https://kutv.com/news/local/six-latter-day-saint-churches-vandalized-in-sandy-targeted-buildings-spray-paint-messages

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: August 17, 2022 11:59PM

The story is 2 days old. Graffiti on LDS churches isn’t news anymore, though six in one night in one neighborhood is kind of impressive. I wouldn’t be surprised if there aren’t arrests in a few days. Too many video cameras around to miss kids hitting that many churches at once.

Teenagers are so good at righteous indignation. They are less good at not getting caught.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: August 18, 2022 02:21AM

I hate vandalism. I’m no fan of the Catholic Church but I would hate to see a historical cathedral get vandalized. Vandalism is a disrespect to society in general. I hate graffiti.

I wish we would cain people here like they do in Singapore. We tolerate too much misbehavior here.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: August 18, 2022 09:10AM

> I wish we would cane people
> here like they do in Singapore.

You know how when you touch something very hot you IMMEDIATELY flinch away, without conscious thought...?  This autonomic system is doing its best to protect us; don't think, just react!  Imagine the alternative of waiting for your sense of smell to tell you that your hand is cooking!

What if it were possible to stimulate unbearable sensory pain without damaging any tissue?  Then if you were caught doing something naughty, like shoplifting, your punishment could be a couple of seconds of this horrible, but undamaging, pain as you watched a video of yourself committing the infraction?  Chances are it would put you off shoplifting for quite some time.

And what if you could use this 'awful pain, but no injury' technique to teach, as the Singaporeans do, that doing naughty things has consequences...would it work to create a better society?

But many youngsters were 'caned' when thought to be guilty of an act worthy of that effort.  In fact, causing 'pain' is the whole point of the criminal judicial system.  The point being that crime will have consequences, with the idea being that we need to find just the right balance.  

In America, getting caught drunk-driving is expensive, but nobody really cares about it, crime-wise.  A good, well publicized, caning, with close ups, might be a lot more effective in helping to curb this dangerous bit of naughtiness.

Imagine what a bit of caning could do to those who think tax avoidance is no big deal?  

But then there would be those who will find a way to chemically 'turn off' the pain so that the caning is just an inconvenient few minutes of dull thumping, and the message is received.

Pain teaches, but we can't always be certain what the student takes away from the lesson.

Posted by: Gordon B. Stinky ( )
Date: August 18, 2022 01:11PM

Vandalism is wrong. At the same time, an organization that lies and exploits people is bound to bring out the worst in some people. And when the organization, from time to time, is realized to be even worse than people realize, it may be just those moments that tip the scale, so to speak.

TSCC is a lying exploitative cult, and awareness has been raised recently that their main concern at times when children are victimized in the most horrific ways is "protecting the church" from liability rather than protecting the children's welfare.

It's really no surprise that some people are angry enough to do something like this.

Posted by: Gordon B. Stinky ( )
Date: August 18, 2022 01:13PM

On an ironic note, the advert that played before the video when I watched it was from a law firm advertising that they "know Utah," and how important that is! I can't help but wonder if that's code for they know how to fight TSCC (or at least are willing to).

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.