Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: September 21, 2022 05:46PM

"A Friend of the Family, about some perv who moves into a rural Mormon town in SE Idaho, and proceeds to victimize the Mo rubes. Based on a true story, and I think Netflix did a documentary on the same story four or five years ago.

Poor Rusty, he can't even catch a break. It's just one awful story after another for the "don't call us Mormon" Mormons.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Friend_of_the_Family_(TV_series)

Oct 6 on Peacock, 9 episodes.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: September 21, 2022 07:46PM

"A Friend of the Family" is based on the harrowing true story of the Broberg family, whose daughter Jan was kidnapped multiple times over a period of years by a charismatic, obsessed family “friend.”  The Brobergs — devoted to their (mormon) faith, family, and community — were utterly unprepared for the sophisticated tactics their neighbor used to exploit their vulnerabilities, drive them apart, and turn their daughter against them. This is the story of how their lives were permanently altered — and how they survived.

Paquin will play Mary Ann Broberg.  The mother of three daughters, her life has felt safe, happy and rewarding until recently.  She has realized too late that she may have missed warning signs and made a terrible mistake by becoming close to her charismatic neighbor Robert Berchtold — and trusting him around her oldest daughter, Jan.

Lacy will portray Robert “B” Berchtold, a charming local businessman who appears to be a genial Mormon father and husband.  An expert in manipulation, he puts everyone around him at ease as he carefully plots the abduction of Mary Ann’s daughter.

Hanks will play Bob Broberg, Mary Ann’s husband and Jan’s father.  Bob is big-hearted, kind, and everyone’s best friend, the very model of a suburban patriarch.  As his family gets closer to neighbor Robert Berchtold, Bob begins to fear that something is amiss.

Tipton is Gail Berchtold, Robert Berchtold’swife and the mother of a large family.  Her husband suffers from mood swings and this has led him to act erratically.  Gail’s concerns about her husband may keep her on edge, but she never could have expected what her husband would eventually do.

Mary Ann Broberg penned her experience in her memoir Stolen Innocence: The Jan Broberg Story.  The story was also the basis of the 2017 Netflix documentary, "Abducted in Plain Sight".

https://deadline.com/2022/02/anna-paquin-jake-lacy-colin-hanks-lio-tipton-jan-broberg-true-crime-limited-series-nick-antosca-peacock-1234933868/

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: September 22, 2022 09:41PM

Ah, gracias, Lamanito.

Utah punches way above its weight in the number of bizarre crimes per capita, but SE Idaho is certainly trying to be a contender.

Northern Idaho is pretty bizarre too, but not Mo-bizarre.They have their own brand of pathologies.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/22/2022 09:41PM by Brother Of Jerry.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: February 21, 2023 01:28AM

I shot trap with guys from northern Idaho who hated southern Idaho BECAUSE of the Mormon majority there.

Posted by: Gordon B. Stinky ( )
Date: September 23, 2022 09:21PM

I thought it sounded familiar, and then realized that I've seen "Abducted in Plain Sight". I did not realize/remember that the families were Mormon, if the documentary mentions it.

This Atlantic piece says that the family were experts in denial:

https://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2019/02/abducted-plain-sight-review-netflix-documentary-robert-berchtold-brobergs/582145/

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: September 23, 2022 06:00PM

I'll be able to watch that. Thanks for the heads-up.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: September 24, 2022 02:41PM

Mo's will dismiss it out of hand, saying that Anna Paquin was always showing titty in 'True Blood'.

Well, that's what they *heard* anyway...

Posted by: Kentish ( )
Date: February 20, 2023 08:59PM

Wasn't sure. Missed those comments.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: February 20, 2023 09:21PM

Interesting. I'll give it a look. Thanks.

Posted by: cl2notloggedin ( )
Date: February 20, 2023 10:44PM

I don't think I could handle watching another show on this story.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.