Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: September 23, 2022 04:47PM

My Mom worked outside the home to make ends meet. She purchased All or Cheer because it was cheaper. Mom avoided Tide because she wanted to afford Tithing- Lol!!!

I saw this from an old thread discussing silly Mormon rules and myths. Apparently the Proctor Gamble logo had a Satanic logo. A man on the moon with hidden horns and inverted scary numbers.

https://www.exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,1598947,1600535#msg-1600535

*laundry detergent -in case I wasn't clear

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/23/2022 04:53PM by messygoop.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: September 23, 2022 05:00PM

I remember well the P&G thing. The Satanic Panic marks the point, IMO, at which America completely lost its mind. It has never recovered.

We used Tide all the time.

Posted by: ziller ( )
Date: September 24, 2022 11:58PM

back in the 1980's ~

mormons were mormons ~

an mormons loved to deride the christian community as simplistic and misguided hi-jackers of the good christian name ~

back in the 1980's ~

ziller's morgbot parental units had evangelical christian neighbors ~

who tried to warn ziller's morgbot parental units against the evils of p&g® ~

but neither entire grocery store isles of p&g® products ~

nor billions of hamburgers sold ~

nor the manson family crimes ~

nor liz claiborn's entire fall collection ~

could dissuade them from mocking the heart-felt convictions of they evangelical christian neighbors ~

in b 4 ~ the 21th century ~

when we exmos now find out ~

that tide™ is developing a detergent for the use of astronauts in the "space program" ~

an it turns out ~

that the evangelical christian neighbors ~

were right after all ~

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: September 23, 2022 05:46PM

Working outside the home was satanic when I was young.

I also had no name brands, once per week bathing, hand me down and donation food and clothing.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: September 23, 2022 05:50PM

Elder Berry Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Working outside the home was satanic when I was
> young.

You work outside the home, right?

I rest my case.

Date: September 24, 2022 09:25AM

I'm a minion of my dark lord.

Date: September 24, 2022 09:26AM

Also my late father said mothers who work a damning their children. I guess we damned ours.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: September 24, 2022 02:48PM

And the "damning" continues, proudly, here as well.

Posted by: cl2notloggedin ( )
Date: September 23, 2022 05:53PM

We were more like the no name brands like Elder Berry. It seems she didn't like to do laundry on Sunday, but I think we did it. The thing I remember is my grandmother told us that for any sewing you did on Sunday, you had to unstitch every stitch with your nose in the next life. She wasn't raised mormon. I just saw this rule on some movie I was watching or something??? My mom didn't like shopping on Sunday, but would buy gas and buy pop out of the vending machines.

My dad didn't follow those rules. His irrigation turns for the farm were on Sunday and he irritated all weekend. He was over FFA so worked all summer, so his turns had to be on weekends. We got to do things like haul irrigation tubes, etc.

I still use Tide because I grew up with it. I bought Cheer a few months ago because it was only $6 for a giant bottle on the clearance aisle at Walmart. Haven't used it yet. We'll see how it works out.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: September 23, 2022 06:04PM

My mom used Tide. I don't think it was quite so expensive back then. I use Purex. It gets the job done, and it's affordable.

Posted by: The original MOI! ( )
Date: September 23, 2022 07:18PM

Mom always used Tide and Sunlight. I still have a couple of boxes of Sunlight detergent, but use liquid detergents. I remember always telling her to try other brands, but nope, it was Tide or Sunlight all the way.

When I went down to Ricks I was in Rigby Hall and had fun trying out the other brands such as Cheer (All TemperCheer), Bold, ABC, and Oxydol. If I didn't buy a small box of soap at the nearest grocery store, there was a dispenser of small individual soaps on the wall in the laundry room down in the basement.

I remember the 'to do' about the Proctor and Gamble logo thingy and even looked at it on the back of the products involved. Couldn't have cared less. There was no way in hell I was giving up my Zest deodorant soap. NEVER! LOL!

Date: September 23, 2022 11:01PM

My Mom was an easy mark to get cornered into buying Amway- It's just as good as name brands- so she was conned into buying a 70 lb bucket.

It was so heavy that even I couldn't get it into our house. Trying to lift it out of the trunk of the car, the flimsy handle busted. It stayed outside on our front porch. So running the washing machine required going outside to get a scoop.

Ah, but all that money she was saving :(

What money saved if you had to rerun every other load because basic stains wouldn't be lifted. Mom eventually stopped answering her phone on the 15th and 30th- that was the last day to reorder from the Amway distributors of the ward. Too bad caller ID was still in the making.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: September 24, 2022 01:22AM

Mom used Tide and I've been now for almost 50 years. That whole P&G horseshit is exactly that!

Posted by: Hockeyrat ( )
Date: September 24, 2022 02:03AM

I never heard this or remember it. I remember a lot of people talking about Amway though. I do vaguely remember something about giant Quakers on the moon, something like that.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: September 24, 2022 04:35PM

They migrated / immigrated to The Moon from Kolob as an Advance party.

Date: September 24, 2022 02:26AM

The P&G Satanic Branding conspiracy thingee was my first exposure to that kind of fear ‘thinking’ I guess, look what’s happened since with those (sad face)

Posted by: [|] ( )
Date: September 24, 2022 02:37AM

https://www.insurancejournal.com/news/national/2007/03/21/77915.htm

"Procter & Gamble Co. won a jury award of $19.25 million in a civil lawsuit filed against four former Amway distributors accused of spreading false rumors linking the company to Satanism to advance their own business."

At least one of the Amway distributors was from Utah

Posted by: moehoward ( )
Date: September 24, 2022 03:33AM

I came home from work in the 80s and discovered my TBM wife had scratched out all the logos on PG products in our home. I can't believe I just didn't pack a suitcase and leave.

Date: September 24, 2022 03:15PM

Mormons just need to wait some 40 years for Nelson to scrub off the Satanic - worldly symbols carved in stone.

Nevermind that Stan and his apron was stealing the show every Saturday inside a holy Mormon temple.

Posted by: Villager ( )
Date: September 24, 2022 04:42PM

My mom used Tide all the time and I use Tide now. I didn't know it was more expensive I just knew it worked. I still like the Tide powder not the liquid. I use BIZ along with Tide on dirty delicate things I can't bleach like soccer uniforms and cheerleading outfits.
I remember the satanic moon and stars debacle and as I recall Proctor and Gamble sued guess who? AMWAY for promoting the rumor.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/procter-gamble-wins-satanic-civil-suit/

Amway was not used in our home. My mom was totally disgusted with Amway and she never EVER used their products. She disliked the whole MLM marketing concept.

But the weird thing was she was good friends with Clara Tillotson
McDermott when Clara was living in Brigham City.

https://www.deseret.com/1991/8/4/18934312/nu-skin-brings-in-the-big-bucks-for-wyoming-native

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: September 24, 2022 05:35PM

I hand-wash my cheerleaders in tepid water, using clarified butter...

Posted by: ziller ( )
Date: September 24, 2022 07:33PM

in for links to pics ~

thx in advans OPie ~

Posted by: loislane ( )
Date: September 24, 2022 07:18PM

I lived in a house where Oxydol ruled.

I sure do miss Oxydol.

Date: September 24, 2022 08:52PM

How about White King soap?

(I thought it was called White King D for a while, it was White King detergent)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/24/2022 08:57PM by GNPE.

Posted by: loislane ( )
Date: September 25, 2022 05:12PM

Oh, White King D. How could I forget White king D?

Was that what you put in the blender with a little water, until you got a nice whip-cream like lather that you could sculpt into fun shapes.

That's what we did with SOME kind of laundry detergent.

Or was it Ivory soap -- 99 and 44 one hundreth percent pure.

IT FLOATS!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.