Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: BoydKKK ( )
Date: September 24, 2022 10:03AM

Yep, the babe is a Mormon.
Wonder if she will be excommunicated - either for the sex or for hurting the Boston Celtics chances at an NBA Title?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: September 24, 2022 10:16AM

Ummmm. Aren’t the coaches decisions & actions the real issue here?

or is this Blaming the victim?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/24/2022 10:17AM by GNPE.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: September 24, 2022 10:51AM

https://www.cnn.com/2022/09/22/sport/nba-boston-celtics-head-coach-ime-udoka/index.html

The head coach was suspended for violating team policy by having an affair with a woman on his staff.

Either he didn't read his contract, or he didn't read the employee handbook. Plus, there's a basic lack of common sense there.

Apparently when the team interviewed both parties, the relationship was described as consensual. But the woman also accused him of making "unwanted comments." So, who knows?

https://www.cbsnews.com/boston/news/boston-celtics-coach-ime-udoka-suspension-report-the-athletic-unwanted-comments-espn/

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: September 24, 2022 11:27AM

"Udoka had a consensual relationship with a female member of the team's staff."

====================================
I'm not seeing the problem ?

Posted by: blindguy ( )
Date: September 24, 2022 11:58AM

Dave the Atheist Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> "Udoka had a consensual relationship with a female
> member of the team's staff."
>
> ====================================
> I'm not seeing the problem ?

I actually see two problems here. The one that would be of most note to this forum is the staff member being a Mormon. One wonders if her temple recommend (assuming she had one) went out the window with the disclosure of this affair.

The bigger problem (and this is the one I think you're not seeing) is how that relationship, even if it was consensual, may have affected the workplace, specifically the coach's office and staff. What happens is when affairs like this are rumored about, whether or not they are exposed, charges start flying about favoritism towards the love interest, even if those charges aren't true, and that can make for a not-too-friendly work environment. Also, you have to keep in mind the power dynamic here--one of the relationship's members is directly dependent upon the other for her job, and there are many cases involving bosses who tried to sleep with their employees.

Probably the best example I can think of showing how this kind of thing can go off the tracks is Motown Records during the 1960s and 1970s and the relationship between company founder and CEO Berry Gordy and singer Diana Ross who was in a contract with the Motown label. Berry admired Diana's feistiness and that admiration soon became a sexual one. Eventually, that relationship was blown up (Berry was married at the time, and Diana married a white record producer--a controversial relationship even in 1971). It wouldn't be until 20 some-odd years later that Diana Ross went public with the information that her oldest child's father was, in fact, Berry Gordy.

What also became public was that many of Diana Ross's co-stars knew about and resented the relationship. You have to remember that throughout most of the 1960s, the singers and musicians on Gordy's labels toured together (it was called the Motown Revue), and gossip was flying everywhere. Berry Gordy was on these trips, and, according to now-deceased members of the Temptations, both Berry and Diana always came out last to board the bus going to the next stop from the hotel, and some said that they saw her slipping in to Gordy's room when neither thought anybody was looking. And yes, a lot of other Motown stars at the time said that they believed that Berry was favoring Diana, whether the charges were true or not.

So no. Having a romantic relationship with one's boss is something that should really be avoided, if at all possible.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: September 24, 2022 12:34PM

As blindguy said, a relationship between a manager and an employee can be problematic -- so problematic that the Celtics organization had a written policy against it. By his own admission, the coach went against the written policy. That's straightforward enough.

But more than that, the CBS News article that I linked above stated that there were other issues including, "unwanted comments" to the woman from the coach. The implication is that these other issues made the situation untenable, thus the suspension. I doubt that anyone wants to go into any great detail about it.

Unless the woman wants to confess to her bishop. Then all bets are off the table as to whether the full story gets out. ;)

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: September 24, 2022 01:39PM

Dave, the state of the present law--and most corporations' internal policies--is that when there is a superior-inferior power relationship in an employment situation, there can be no "consensuality" in a relationship. It's like a consensual relationship between a professor and his adult college student or a coach and a player.

The proper way to pursue a relationship is for one or the other employee to leave the company and then move forward. This is the same thing that cost Jeff Zucker his position as CEO of CNN.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: September 24, 2022 11:52AM

Based on the basic facts, didn't the coach get himself suspended?

Date: September 24, 2022 01:39PM

Yep.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: September 24, 2022 09:22PM

He could manage an NBA team but he couldn't manage to keep it in his pants.

Date: September 24, 2022 09:33PM

I'd imagine it is quite difficult to keep an NBA team in one's pants.

Posted by: ziller ( )
Date: September 24, 2022 08:37PM

in b 4 ~

let all emxos pause ~

an offer a morment of praize ~

to LUST ~

the undisputed invincible undefeated all-time champ ~

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: September 24, 2022 08:45PM

I'm for allowing true, pure love to have a part in ppl's lives; when they're employed together one should move to a different area or department;

adultery is seldom pretty!

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: September 25, 2022 03:30AM

That's why it should be done with the lights off.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: September 25, 2022 01:56AM

Remember the the early days of the sexual revolution, when we were told that "a meaningful relationship" was the only thing needed for sexual intercourse? And we were free of the complicated rigmarole of Puritanism and courtship protocols?

Good times!

Posted by: Bite Me ( )
Date: September 28, 2022 01:02AM

A wise man once said, "Don't shit where you eat."....drops mic....

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.