Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: olderelder ( )
Date: September 25, 2022 09:01PM

I've been watching the "Fab Rats" YouTube channel for a while. The guy, Paul Cox, is a mechanic/fabricator/off-roader from Glenwood Utah. I've always thought there was a good chance he a Mormon, but he said something in his current video that confirmed it.

He was rebuilding the front of a tow truck and checked to see whether the radiator, air conditioning cooler and oil cooler would fit in the space he had. "It'll be tight... like unto a dish," he commented.

There's also a chance we're related through Frederick Walter Cox, a big polygamist in central Utah.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: September 25, 2022 09:22PM

Any chance he's an exmo? That's the kind of thing we would say here for a yuk yuk.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: September 25, 2022 09:57PM

What's with Joseph and tight dishes?

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: September 26, 2022 12:51PM

I have never been clear on what is so tight about a dish. Any body know? My dishes seem to be neither tight nor loose as far as I can tell or am I missing something?

"Like unto" seems to be the magic way to make sense of nonsense. The Mormon version of "abra cadabra" perhaps. Must try using "like unto" more as "yea verily" has brought nothing new to my life except for odd looks.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: September 26, 2022 01:09PM

You must like unto your Tupperware dealer pronto.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: September 26, 2022 01:12PM

Hahahah.. Now I get it. They were talking about Tupperware! I feel so dumb for not getting that.

Posted by: Rangerdanger ( )
Date: June 13, 2023 12:33PM

He’s not talking about Tupperware. He’s referring to a passage Ether 6:7 in the Book of Mormon when they were describing the Jaredite vessels they traveled across the ocean in.

Posted by: Roy G Biv ( )
Date: June 13, 2023 12:45PM

Yes, we all know that. The point is, what does "tight like unto a dish" actually mean? What is the historical reference in Hebrew culture for a dish being tight? What kind of dish is being referenced in Ether? What kind of dish looks like a submarine barge with holes in the top and bottom that can be plugged...can't have windows in them you know.

But then again, if we're talking about the Book of Mormon, it might actually be Tupperware. I'd have to ask a church apologist to be sure. They may have had Tupperware and god took it all away to test the faith.

Posted by: Investigating atheism ( )
Date: June 13, 2023 12:54PM

Maybe the phrase means water tight.

Date: June 13, 2023 01:03PM

It probably does, but leave it to Joseph Smith to use language that sounds historical but actually makes no sense.

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: June 13, 2023 01:09PM

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: June 13, 2023 04:21PM

She's Tight!

Date: June 13, 2023 06:22PM

As a missionary, I would refer to attractive women as a Jaredite....like unto a dish!

Date: June 13, 2023 08:17PM

Jaredite straight ahead. Get ready to torpedo!

Date: June 14, 2023 11:12AM

No torpedoes needed. Just have the frogmen swim underneath it and pull the cork out, then have them climb on top and pull that cork out....swift trip to the bottom of the sea.

Date: June 14, 2023 12:58PM

The Book of Mormon makes me so horny! Only horny old Joe would write about tight dishes with holes.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.