Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: September 26, 2022 02:27AM

At least in 3 Nephi?

How oft would I have gathered you as a hen gathereth her chickens, and ye would not.

You just wouldn't listen. You upset Mr. Bigglesworth. And when Mr. Bigglesworth gets upset, people DIE! Now look what you made me do.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: September 26, 2022 04:36AM

not written to understand, just to ‘develop faith’ silly people!

God’s way will Never be understood by humans, it was planned that way!

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: September 26, 2022 07:54AM

No, just a deified alien from another planet.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/26/2022 07:55AM by anybody.

Posted by: Human ( )
Date: September 26, 2022 08:41AM

God is ineffable.

But fuck the ineffable.

We have enough trouble as it is with what *can* be said.

(‘It is what it is’ is mostly all we can say, leaving all kinds of room for dreary ol’ human psychopathy.)

Posted by: Henry Bemis ( )
Date: September 26, 2022 12:10PM

"God is ineffable."

'Ineffable' relates both to the existence of the 'thing' or experience to be described, and the inadequacy of human language to describe that 'thing' or experience. One naturally wonders what might exist in the universe that fits this characterization, such that we have only vague glimpses of something that seems to be important but have no idea what that something is. Virtually all of modern physics and cosmology is ineffable in this sense. We have wonderful concepts supported by wonderful mathematics, but at the end of the day we really have no idea what it is that we are talking about; but it sure seems important! It would seem that whether one is talking about 'God,' 'the Higgs field,' or the Multiverse, 'the ineffable' is a kind of placeholder for the awe of human ignorance.

But fuck the ineffable.

We have enough trouble as it is with what *can* be said.

COMMENT: That, of course, is the temptation when frustration sets in. But, again, it is these transcendental glimpses of the ineffable that keeps us interested and throwing out words against the wall in hopes something will finally stick.

(‘It is what it is’ is mostly all we can say, leaving all kinds of room for dreary ol’ human psychopathy.)

COMMENT: Well, one has to wonder just where the line is to be drawn with respect to one's transcendent glimpses and psychopathy. After all, "it is what it is," neither denies the ineffable, nor explains it. Perhaps the best approach is to just sit back and enjoy the ride, without worrying too much about meanings. I wish I could do that.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: September 26, 2022 05:55PM

The laurel is hardy.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: September 26, 2022 10:32AM

Mormon God can't compete with OT God when it comes to psycho.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: September 26, 2022 04:15PM

I was going to say that the genocidal nature of Mormon God is the one thing the church got right, for Jehovah flooded the earth to kill all but eight humans, ordered the Israelites to kill all the inhabitants of Canaan, ordered the execution of surly teenagers who yelled at their parents, etc.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: September 26, 2022 12:04PM

A God's first responsibility is to at least keep things a little bit interesting.

BoM God was only Psycho-lite really and got bogged down in the "yea verily's" and "it came to passes's" until not even the revolving skin colors could save the book.

Modern Mormon God is about the laziest God ever. He's more like a really annoying Mother-In-Law you are stuck with at the familyu reunion. How do you be that shallow and mean and still that boring?

Posted by: ziller ( )
Date: September 26, 2022 12:54PM

in 3rd nephi the author of the book of mormon has MormonJesus® destroy all evidence of the author's crime of having made the whole thing up ~

the author of the book of mormon has spent the first 4/5ths of the book describing all sorts of things ~

like great cities and temples, chariots, swords, armor, coins, terrible battles, records written on metal plates, and so on and so on ~

then in 3rd nephi the author of the book of mormon uses MormonJesus® as a plot devise to go on an infantile rampage and destroy all the above (in a very un-christian-like manner) just in case some archeologist should ever go looking for any of it ~

Date: September 26, 2022 04:17PM

That sounds a lot like the story of the Flood in the Bible.

Posted by: Roy G Biv ( )
Date: September 26, 2022 01:20PM

God: I'm a little bit psycho.

Jesus: I'm a little bit rock and roll.

Date: September 26, 2022 05:56PM

And Marie is a little bit virgin.

Posted by: Roy G Biv ( )
Date: September 27, 2022 01:33PM

I think she's a little bit mormon too.

Date: September 27, 2022 06:06PM

Living in Utah.

Posted by: blackcoatsdaughter ( )
Date: September 26, 2022 04:36PM

I don't understand why you would create beings with the ability to disobey if obedience was what you wanted. Like, fine, if you want to give them free will because you want them to CHOOSE you. But why punish those who didn't? You gave them the choice. There has to be the ability to say "no", otherwise it's coercion, extortion, and abuse, which are not actually free will.

Like, I'll buy into the universe creator being needed by mankind and THAT'S why you might worship it. But in Mormonism and Christianity, it sounds like this god needs US, like psychologically, emotionally he's codependent. I think the best I can do for Mormon god is set my boundaries and stick to them so he'll learn to take charge of his own feelings.

Date: September 26, 2022 04:41PM

I really, really like this post.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: September 26, 2022 05:11PM

Setting boundaries when it comes to needy God! Too good. That's the best.

Date: September 26, 2022 05:57PM

Buying into beliefs is a modern concept. Leaving the gods you were born with used to be a capital offense.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.