Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Color Me in Crayon ( )
Date: September 26, 2022 09:53PM

I like this place and consider you all my friends. And friends gossip, as in sharing news, good, bad, or indifferent.

My widowed TBM daughter, who lost her Heir to the Kingdom a couple of years ago to the ravages of Covid-19, is getting married.

The text announcement, to which I responded positively, said that she's getting married in her ward chapel. She's the oldest of my BIC kids. Her intended, who is also in her ward, is divorced, and has five kids. He's also the exact same age as the bride's younger BIC brother...so she's five years older than him, but like me, she doesn't show her age.

I assume that they've known each other for some time, living in the same ward. But according to her sibling, with whom I've just spoken, they only started dating in September. I wonder if his ex-wife is going to be there?

My initial reaction was "getting married in the ward chapel! Oh ho, you've been fooling around!! But then I remembered that she belongs to another man and this marriage is just for earthly companionship. And the companionship includes him being added to the big family plans for the celebration of the 30th anniversary of her first marriage. Being alive can be a curious adventure.

Here's my question: In church etiquette, is the 50th wedding anniversary (of a temple marriage) anything special? Would a normal, faithful LDS couple, and/or their kids, mention it on Facebook?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: September 26, 2022 10:18PM

Hmmmm.

If he is divorced, I'm guessing there was not a temple divorce. Even if there was, don't they discuss with the ex wife whether he should go to the temple? Or maybe they don't do that if they go to the temple to be married for just time? It's all so convoluted (and stupid). Eventually she'll probably explain the reasoning. (They're probably boinking.)

I don't do Farcebook, but I thought it was common to announce a 50th wedding, especially if they are having some kind of celebration. I have received invitations for them (which usually meant a donation for a trip or gift).

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: September 27, 2022 08:15AM

IIRC, I don't think they do "time only" weddings in the temple anymore. I think that was one of Rusty's reforms.

Posted by: cl2notloggedin ( )
Date: September 28, 2022 02:58PM

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: September 27, 2022 08:16AM

I wish your daughter well -- but a man with five kids, that she's only dated for a short period of time -- yikes! Will you be attending the wedding?

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: September 27, 2022 12:53PM

Cheaper by the half dozen.

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: September 27, 2022 02:45PM

Color Me in Crayon Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I like this place and consider you all my friends.

That is very nice.

> My widowed TBM daughter, who lost her Heir to the
> Kingdom a couple of years ago to the ravages of
> Covid-19, is getting married.

That's a tough one. Sorry.

I don't know much about the intricacies of Mormonism in the way that BICs do so I don't know about all the ins and outs of their marriage beliefs and customs. "Earthly companionship" and then reverting back to the first man in the eternities. I can never get used to the weird-sounding extra-xian beliefs of Joe Smith et al.

> according to
> her sibling, with whom I've just spoken, they only
> started dating in September.

I had to just check my calendar. Are we not still **in** September? So - yow??!!

The Mormon Fast Track. That was in the Top Five on my list of reasons to Not Be Mormon. The rush to the temple for baptism and marriage. One "elder" (boy mish) told me 1 minute after my ill-advised and ill-fated and much-regretted baptism: "it's your JOB to get married".

I could hardly stand the excitement of that prospect. {{sarc}}

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/27/2022 02:46PM by Nightingale.

Posted by: Bite Me ( )
Date: September 28, 2022 01:12AM

Please tell me you at least meant dating since September 2021. If not, this deserves a JHFCWTF is she thinking???

Posted by: CMiC ( )
Date: September 28, 2022 12:28PM

Their first and only date was on 9/04/2022. After that date they were engaged.

I have now seen a photo... He had like a five day beard. He was dressed for church, but had an 'I just sold a a million dollar life insurance policy' grin.

Kind of weird. If they marry for this life only and his first wife isn't worthy (assuming they married in the temple) then he goes to heaven as a batchelor. Is being a batchelor in the CK a fun thing? I always assumed someone was in charge of distributing the leftover righteous womwn that didn't get pre-picked from the master catalog.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.