Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: September 27, 2022 01:18AM

Naturally, everyone wants to know, "Where is Sister Catnip?" I told him to remind them gently that I went apostate more than 10 years ago and have no plans to return. He knows better than to bug me about it.

Sigh.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: September 27, 2022 01:29AM

Oh lord. I was going to ask about the flavor of said church but the "sister" says it all. Sorry :(

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: September 27, 2022 02:56AM

I had a friend who attended a fraternity reunion at the University of Idaho. Six and yes six of the people that lived in the frat house with him and some were major party animals joined the LDS Church and were active in it. He couldn't believe it.

It's weird times because people I thought would never leave the church are leaving and at the same time people I thought would never go back have. My cousin her husband were inactive most their adult lives. None of their adult children are active but for some reason both of them went back to church and are temple workers and are genealogy junkies.

But hell we live in times making a five year business plan is impossible. It used to be so easy. If the Stay Puft Marshmallow monster eats New York City for real I won't be surprised.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: September 27, 2022 07:09AM

Perhaps at least some of the people joining up or going back will do it on their own terms. Catnip, I would encourage your husband to turn down callings if he doesn't want them, or to not tithe if he doesn't want to. Tell him about the church's $100 billion trust fund (which is probably just a fraction of the church's total assets.)

Posted by: Jethro ( )
Date: September 27, 2022 08:06AM

I know several inactive members that just don't attend and don't live it, but were raised in lds church and don't have an ax to grind with it, they will one day go back I think, it being true is not an issue, its there culture.

Its different for others, I for one became pissed to the point of investigating because I didn't say no to callings etc, I would never return because I care about it being what it says it is, and I never was totally converted.

Belief is really crazy, no logic.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: September 27, 2022 08:12AM

Yeah, it's crazy. I've come to the conclusion that some people need religion for a variety of reasons. You just hope that their faith treats them kindly.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: September 28, 2022 05:43AM

Humans are not logical creatures.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: September 27, 2022 10:19AM

Fix him creamed beef on toast and make a comment about a dog returning to its vomit.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: September 27, 2022 12:51PM

COVID is a powerful drug.

Posted by: blindguy ( )
Date: September 28, 2022 10:43AM

Elder Berry Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> COVID is a powerful drug.

Even more powerful is the fear of death itself. The OP hasn't said this (and I don't blame her for not), but I wonder if her DH has been told by his doctors that he now has a short time to live; and ditto that with the others who have returned to the LDS fold.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: September 29, 2022 04:08AM

He is diabetic and I have a chronic kidney disease. Plus, we are in our 70s. I don't believe either of us would survive COVID.

But, we are both vaccinated, big into hand-washing and mask-wearing.

He was very supportive of my resignation all those years ago. He has not attended church for ages. I don't really know why he wants to go back, but he seems very happy about it. Fortunately he is not ignorant and narrow minded like many Mormons.

The one thing I am not happy about is that a pair of sister mishies has been circling like buzzards. Of course, they never call before stopping by. I was asleep the last time they came by, and the rules say that sisters can't come into the house unless there is a resident hausfrau on duty.

I will be polite to them; I think I have finally outgrown the flat-out hostility I have felt about Mormons for all these years. But I will not wear myself out trying to cook a multi-course meal and have a spotless house for them. Or be overly hospitable. I will let them know right off the bat that I have no interest in returning to church. Period.

If DH is happy being back at church, bless his sweet heart, he deserves to be happy. He understands on a bone-marrow deep level, that I won't be there with him.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: September 29, 2022 11:00AM

I know that bone marrow feeling about Mormonism. My wife deserves to be happy. I'm not 100 percent convinced she is happy in Mormonism but it is what she wants.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: September 28, 2022 12:07PM

I attended with an open mind so I could feel the Spirit beckoning me to return- Nope, didn't happen.

Some people took the time to say hello, a few others that I had worked with (in various callings did not).

No one was around my age- they were either 25-30 years older or 15 yrs younger with children- I was close to the median age.

It would be very lonely for me to attend that ward and the church social structure has never been very inclusive to begin with.

I think they have 4 scheduled ward socials- Ward picnic in May, 4th of July breakfast, Halloween party and a Xmas banquet.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.