Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: summer ( )
Date: September 27, 2022 06:31PM

Mormons gotta morm.

Sixty girls, including the homecoming queen, were not allowed to enter their homecoming dance at a Spanish Fork charter school over dress code violations...."They had their dresses pre-approved by the administration, but when they showed up, they were told that because their body was not the same as the picture of the model, they were not allowed to wear that dress,” Isabella said.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/lifestyle/lifestyle-buzz/students-upset-after-nearly-60-girls-kicked-out-of-homecoming-dance-over-dress-code/ar-AA12eV0e

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: shortbobgirl ( )
Date: September 27, 2022 06:34PM

I just can’t even find the words to express my disgust. These adults need to get their minds out of the gutter.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: September 27, 2022 07:06PM

I like how the problem was that the girls didn't look like models (implying they and had bigger boobs hanging out). Just pointing that out is sick.

This isn't a whole lot different from the morality police who come down on women for showing too much hair, IMO.

Charter schools (many) are dangerous enough, IMO. Keeping women covered and information away from kids is hard work!

Date: September 27, 2022 07:17PM

Many parents assume that a charter school is automatically better than a public school, and that is just not the case. Some are better, some are worse. Each school should be evaluated on its own merits.

And as one of my former principals stated, you never want your child to be in any school the first year that that school is up and running.

Posted by: blindguy ( )
Date: September 28, 2022 02:05AM

Summer wrote in part:

"Many parents assume that a charter school is automatically better than a public school, and that is just not the case. Some are better, some are worse. Each school should be evaluated on its own merits."

The problem in many cases is that charter schools are not required to provide the same kind of accountability as public schools so that even if parents wanted to compare the two, they couldn't.

Posted by: Elder Brother ( )
Date: September 27, 2022 07:08PM

I didn't see where any BOYS were turned away for dress code violations.

Can you believe they actually put in the rules that the same dress could be appropriate on one person, but inappropriate on another? Really??

You're too tall to wear that dress
Your boobs are too big to wear that dress
Your thighs are too long
Your arms are too short

Is body-shaming on the curriculum in high school now?
Imagine two friends buying the same dress (in different colors, of course) and one gets in while the other is kicked out.
Absolutely ridiculous.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: September 27, 2022 07:28PM

EVERYONE SHOULD HAVE WALKED OUT!

Lesson the school & agreeing parents learned:

We're raising a bunch of WIMPS who will kiss A** anytime they're told to.

Disgusting, even for MORBOTS

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/27/2022 07:34PM by GNPE.

Date: September 27, 2022 08:18PM

Let's CALL THIS OUT FOR WHAT IT REALLY IS!

This is a not-very-subtle way to aCULTurate the students for (their version of) adult Mormonism when only a select few make decisions for the masses of the Bamboozled / Hornswaggled Morbots / Sheeple; Don't Forget to Pay & Obey!!!

School Admins & Uber = TBM parents: Well, we sure taught them a lesson, didn't we! Hip Hip Hooray

'Well, we warned - told you in advance it was Our Way or the HIGHWAY!!!!'

Date: September 27, 2022 07:28PM

Maybe for the next dance, the girls could make a pact to wear suits or tuxedos, and the boys could wear the dresses. That way the girls would be covered up to the adults' satisfaction, and the boys would not be showing a distressing level of cleavage.

Do you think that would work? :D

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: September 27, 2022 08:11PM

To change outfits like that - en masse - ALL the guys wearing "approved" female attire and the girls wearing "approved" male attire - would blow the minds of administrators.

We did stuff like that back in the Sixties, using the rationale that "They can throw some of us out, but not ALL of us. The parents wouldn't stand for it." And, sometimes, it worked. The key is solidarity.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: September 27, 2022 07:53PM

At least they didn’t bust any skulls

Date: September 27, 2022 08:19PM

but they Twisted a lot of minds.

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: September 27, 2022 09:08PM

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: September 27, 2022 11:39PM

We simply boycotted sll school dances for the year.

Held our own, come as you are, events.

Pretty soon the school reversed course.

Of course we were a very small school and everyone basically knew everyone.

Date: September 28, 2022 06:17AM

The school's parents are talking about putting on their own, private events for their children. Sounds like a good idea to me.

Posted by: Northern_Lights ( )
Date: September 28, 2022 01:35PM

I think not as easy here. I am thinking of my HS and Homecoming dances and I don't think there were 60 girls that showed up period.

Here it sounds like 60 were asked to leave but some still made it past inspection meaning there are >60 girls in the school

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: September 28, 2022 02:30AM

"charter school"

Date: September 28, 2022 02:47AM

Mormons have Never been good at considering the downside of their policies & actions, even if not strictly a ChurchCo decision, the root of this is beyond obvious.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: September 28, 2022 05:28AM

Some of these charter schools are nuts and have really gone overboard with stupid rules.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: September 28, 2022 12:02PM

Don't get me started on why there should not be charter schools.

Posted by: cl2notloggedin ( )
Date: September 28, 2022 02:51PM

We hadn't been active mormon for quite a while. All her friends wore spaghetti straps. My daughter didn't PICK something modest. It just happened that was a dress she loved on the clearance rack!!! She still has it. It is black and it is beautiful. There hasn't been any shaming for what dresses girls wear as far as I know around little Hyrum or anywhere in Cache Valley, but I could be wrong.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: September 30, 2022 01:30PM

Posted by: Gordon B. Stinky ( )
Date: October 01, 2022 06:01PM

Sigh. I would say it's unbelievable, except that it is...

> "They had their dresses pre-approved
> by the administration, but when they showed up,
> they were told that because their body was not the
> same as the picture of the model, they were not
> allowed to wear that dress,”

Did the girls not have the same bodies when their dresses were approved?

Date: October 01, 2022 07:10PM

Gordon B. Stinky Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> Did the girls not have the same bodies when their
> dresses were approved?

I'm guessing that the dresses were in the store, either hanging on a hanger, or held up for a photo before they were purchased/worn.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/01/2022 09:36PM by GNPE.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: October 04, 2022 12:10PM

Dance Dress Code
American Leadership Academy High School dances are school events and reflect the values and standards of our school. The ALA Dance Dress Code will be strictly enforced at all formal dances and must be followed by all students attending which includes ALA students and their guests. Anyone not in compliance with the Dress Code will not be admitted to the dance and refunds will not be issued. If you are bringing a date from another school, it is your responsibility to make him/her aware of the ALA Dance Dress Code.

Guidelines
- Necklines of a dress, top, or gown must be cut in a modest way so that no cleavage is showing.

- No strapless or backless tops.

- No exposed undergarments or sleepwear.

- Backlines and sides must cover the torso, chest and back and should be no lower than a normal bra strap.

- Cut-outs or any exposure of chest, midriff, thigh, naval or abdomen are not permitted.

- The dress, skirt, or gown must be no shorter than the student’s fingertips when hands rest at their side. This includes slits in dresses or skirts.

- The garment should not be excessively tight and should allow free movement without necessity of adjustment.

- Because of differing body types, the same dress may be acceptable on one person, but not on another.

- No pinning is allowed as an alteration for a dress if without the pinning the dress does not meet dress code.

- Dresses need to meet the above guidelines without adding any jacket or cover-up that may be removed once inside the dance.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: October 04, 2022 01:41PM

That entire list is offensive, but this one takes the cake:

> - Because of differing body types, the same dress
> may be acceptable on one person, but not on
> another.

The last thing young women need is yet another reason to focus on their bodies relative to others'.

Date: October 04, 2022 02:37PM

'Hot' female bodies should not be distinguishable from 'unHot' female bodies.  Yeah, fine.

But how come it doesn't work that way for men?  If a guy works out/pumps up, there are no societal rules regarding him dressing in a way that accentuates his achievements.

And then there's the cod piece . . .

"An item of male dress that was briefly de rigeur some five centuries ago, the codpiece both covered, and drew attention to, a part of the anatomy that couldn’t even be mentioned in polite society. Writing in the 1580s, the French philosopher Michel de Montaigne (translated by Donald Frame) summed up the curious case of the codpiece as “an empty and useless model of a member that we cannot even decently mention by name, which however we show off and parade in public'.”

"Masculinity was big in 16th century Europe – along with notions of chivalry, honour and romance. Codpieces were speedily hijacked for the purpose of proving masculinity in the most blatant of manners. The most elaborate versions were singularly showy and portraits show that in the mid-16th century the codpiece reached epic (if not priapic) proportions. No expense was spared: codpieces were made in luxury silk velvet, bejewelled or embroidered. Even young boys were obliged to wear them."

https://www.cam.ac.uk/research/features/what-goes-up-must-come-down-a-brief-history-of-the-codpiece

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: October 04, 2022 03:09PM

And now we're stuck with the lift and accentuate underwear when a cod piece make so much more sense and thirteen year old boys if they had them wouldn't need to carry their school books in front of them when leaving class.

Love the link. The guy in read is definitely saying, "I'll show you mine if you'll show me yours." Made me laugh

Date: October 04, 2022 03:16PM

> Made me laugh

My work here is done for today...

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: October 04, 2022 05:10PM

Done & Done Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> . . . and thirteen year old boys if they had them
> wouldn't need to carry their school books in
> front of them when leaving class.

And that made me laugh.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.