Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: October 01, 2022 09:47PM

I was blissfully unaware that conference was scheduled for this weekend until reading some posts on RfM today. Curious enough to scan the internet, I found that the good folks at the SL Tribune have timely produced a general summary. Here are some themes that receive particular attention.

1) Child abuse is a sin and the church takes it seriously. (Are you listening, Associated Press?) Several talks touched on this, including Russell's. But one of the presenters unintentionally stepped on the message by insinuating that the "emotional and verbal mistreatment" she experienced in her childhood home, and which made her feel resentment towards her dad, are comparable to sexual molestation. But in any case both can be overcome through faith in Jesus.

2) Racism is evil. We mean it this time. A couple of speakers addressed the topic, and at least as importantly an African American woman and a Chinese American woman (shout out, and flowers, to EOD for his insight regarding the dual adjectives) were allowed to speak from the pulpit before heading home to cook donuts.

3) The Presiding Bishop, who incidentally stewards the church's resources, said that Mormons should steward the earth's resources. It wasn't quite "bless the beasts and the children," but it apparently represents a gesture in the direction of climate change and environmental conservation. . . I was reminded of Spencer Kimball's exhortation that we must not shoot the little birdies.

4) Men and women are equal in the eyes of God and the church. . . Did you notice that we let three women--two of them minorities!--speak today before they went home to cook donuts?

5) Oats tells us that the church gives a ton of donations to good causes since that's what "righteous people do." And we are, as you know, righteous.

6) Missions are very important and must not be avoided. Books of Mormon are important, too, so please give them to your missionary children to distribute when they are on their missions.

So there you have it. The church is committed to racial equality, gender equality (sorry, you LGBTQ+ types), environmental preservation, the protection of children from sexual abuse, and philanthropy.

And missions. Did I mention "missions?"

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/latest-from-lds-general-conference-nelson-denounces-e2-80-98grievous-sin-e2-80-99-of-abuse-christofferson-warns-against-prejudice/ar-AA12tMUQ

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/01/2022 10:41PM by Lot's Wife.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: vzgardner ( )
Date: October 01, 2022 10:11PM

Excellent summation Lot's Wife; better than any news article I've read so far.

I thought Dickdorf's words of some slight interest; he seems especially worried about the "rising generation." And, of course, since the old codgers don't trust the youngsters to make their own life's choices, they've come up with a new version of ‘For the Strength of Youth’ subtitled ‘A Guide for Making Choices.' Because anyone who knows is keenly aware that "free agency" is a delusion.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: October 01, 2022 10:15PM

? send Bs of Mormon to a (far-away) missionary?

Is ChurchCo holding any UPS stock? FedEx?

Gee, to silly me it seems more efficient for ChurchCo (who publishes them) to distribute them;

I forget if I as a mish (Great Lakes mish, 67-69) paid for them / charged 'gators for them. Ah, the memories...

Date: October 01, 2022 10:20PM

That was literary license on my part. The speaker really just emphasized the BoM and its utility in spreading the word. I tied it to the missionary exhortations more tightly than our Dear Leaders did.

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: October 01, 2022 10:24PM

Lot's Wife Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> But one of the presenters
> unintentionally stepped on the message by
> insinuating that the "emotional and verbal
> mistreatment" she experienced in her childhood
> home, and which made her feel resentment towards
> her dad, are comparable to sexual molestation.

Not to minimize her experience in any way but abuse is abuse and sexual abuse is sexual abuse. Each can result in enormously negative consequences, obviously. But I would not say they are comparable across the board, as she makes it seem in that statement, in that sexual abuse results in its own unique brand of egregious harm.

Date: October 01, 2022 10:45PM

If I were a child who had for years been physically or sexually abused by those who were supposed to protect me, I would find Sister Yee's comments enraging.

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: October 01, 2022 11:01PM

Yes, the best you can say is that she is under-informed.

But (likely a silly question) do they not have screeners who check people's talks before they're given? That remark would have clanged to me and I would have suggested it be edited either for accuracy or out altogether. It shows a lack of knowledge and understanding.

I don't feel like going into details but it seems fairly obvious.

Abuse of any type is harmful, yes. But there are different outcomes depending on types and duration and by whom the abuse was perpetrated, as well as many other elements.

I don't think comparing abuse types is all that instructive, unless you're an expert in the various fields and there's a purpose for the comparison. Best to discuss one's own experiences or personal knowledge and not assume it's the same across the board for everyone - or anyone - else.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: October 02, 2022 01:21AM

I've never performed surgery, but I can imagine it's kind of like carving a pot roast. By Mormon standards, I may be qualified to speak at a medical conference.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: October 02, 2022 12:16PM

I am enraged. I was sexualized at 3. Did she know what that is like?

Date: October 02, 2022 02:27PM

It brings to mind Pacer's statement that sexual abuse is like a really bad day in the second grade.

I also thought it strange that Yee said she'd ask her "verbally and emotionally" abusive father before giving the speech. Does that mean people should keep the abuse quiet unless permitted to go public by the abuser? That sounds like the logic of the hotline: shut up until the patriarchy issues permission.

Yee exemplifies the problem, not concern for the victim.

Posted by: Shinehah ( )
Date: October 01, 2022 10:32PM

The church public relations department seems well tuned in to what the members and the media need to hear from the leaders.

But was there no revelation? No prophecy?

Date: October 01, 2022 10:43PM

Yep. The main topics were precisely those in the news right now, in the news and on RfM.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: October 01, 2022 10:57PM

Thanks for that. I think it is a good time to remind people to judge by what they do, not by what they say.

1) Child abuse: Until they dump the internal screening of abuse claims and instruct people to call law enforcement, (like Catholics can't seem to make themselves do either) they have no credibility.

2) Racism: Until they repudiate in clear terms what they have taught in black and white (pun intended), they have no credibility.

3) Earth's resources: Building countless unnecessary buildings and prosperity consumption is not exactly a show of caring about the climate and resources. I don't think they are going to give large amounts of money and sermons to support issues like population control, ecosystem preservation or support of climate change activists any time soon.

4) Men and women are equal: They can get back to us when there are as many women GAs as men, and a woman prophet. As long as they have an all male priesthood, they have zero credibility making equality claims.

5) Donations: Their charitable donations compared to their investments show they think holding assets are what make them righteous. I thought Jesus instructed to give all you have to the poor.

6) Missions and BoM: They expect free salesmen. Apparently they want to run the kind of business like Mary Kay where they expect the salesmen to buy the supplies up front.

They are still taking the stance that gay people are OK, but must remain wallflowers and not participate in their marriage and family ideals. Now there's a winning strategy! I think maybe religions are going to need to change and adapt a lot faster than they have through the centuries if they want to survive. OTOH, when they change things, they expose their previous wrong views. Society is changing fast and resources are finite. Religions need to figure out how to keep up but maintain their regressive traditions. They won't be able to win 'em all.

Date: October 01, 2022 11:45PM

They are explaining that they currently do everything right and don't intend to change a damn thing.

Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: October 02, 2022 09:27AM

A perfect summary of ever General Conference for the last 100 years.

It's so bizarre (sarcasm) how, when the leaders say things are gonna change, the members never quite get the memo.

Posted by: blindguy ( )
Date: October 01, 2022 11:11PM

Lot's wife wrote in part:

"1) Child abuse is a sin and the church takes it seriously. (Are you listening, Associated Press?) Several talks touched on this, including Russell's. But one of the presenters unintentionally stepped on the message by insinuating that the "emotional and verbal mistreatment" she experienced in her childhood home, and which made her feel resentment towards her dad, are comparable to sexual molestation. But in any case both can be overcome through faith in Jesus."

Gee but that last sentence sounds so much like that one hears from many born-again Christians: "I was personally saved by Jesus and so I don't want to sin no more." Such rubbish!

Posted by: Silence is Golden ( )
Date: October 01, 2022 11:57PM

My mother was a screamer, she could say some real mean things to you. Insulted you on a regular basis, and reminded you daily of what a lazy little shit you were. None of us were exempt, but we older ones got it worse, because it was her way of making us take care of the younger ones.

But in fairness, whe was one tough person, she gave all of us kids the drive to get out of the house and take charge of our lifes.

However, to compare verbal abuse to molestation, my gosh, what an insult to those who were molested. My mother put us through some serious emotional upheavels, but never to what one would experience through sexual abuse.

I agree, that kind of comparison is plain rubbish.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: October 02, 2022 02:52AM

The church is losing young single adults in record numbers. They think if you serve a mission you are more likely to stay in the church. In my observation it doesn’t work. Apparently there is a problem of abuse in the church. More Jesus! Jesus! Jesus!

I might add the church really seems isolated and out of touch. The church giving the United Nations $43 million does nothing to help the people here at home. The church is out of touch as the government is.

Probably a big reason people are leaving is they feel they are getting nothing out of their church membership. Dry talks from old men who live comfortable and donations to the UN really does nothing for a young person facing inflated costs in everything. I know some young people who are really struggling right now and there’s nothing in the church that’s going to help them.

Conference is always the same, year after year. What’s really new? Nothing. Pray pay and obey and invite your friends and neighbors. Let’s sell this shit. Nothing new.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: October 02, 2022 04:06AM

Why don't they save all of that work and just BUY the damned donuts !

Date: October 02, 2022 04:41AM

Because then they would be breaking either the sabbath or shabat, and we can’t have that now can we?!

Posted by: heartbroken ( )
Date: October 02, 2022 12:48PM

Looks like many important themes were covered in Saturday's conference - the conference that doesn't have as good a turnout as Sunday's conference. So I wonder what the 15 could possibly talk about today (Sunday)? What is the most important message the morbots need to hear? Pay their tithing? Be obedient? Be on the alert for Satan? Stay away from social media? Revere the Prophets?

Thank you Lot's Wife for the conference summary.

Date: October 02, 2022 01:18PM

If there were a devil, Bednar could easily fill the roll. That's it, that's my entire comment.

Date: October 02, 2022 01:57PM

So the token female gets up and says the closing prayer only to reiterate what that senile old fool said about overcoming the world... perfect!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/02/2022 01:57PM by vzgardner.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: October 02, 2022 03:34PM

All I can say is that for you who have been playing General Conference Bingo, I hope you don't end up in the ER from alcohol poisoning...

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.