Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: October 04, 2022 03:19PM

You can have all the truth and facts but people have to accept them as such. Some people will reject the truth no matter what. It's a big world, life is short. You can waste your time trying to convert those who refuse to see the truth or you can go your own way and enjoy life as much as possible. Don't waste your time on the stubborn.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: October 04, 2022 03:36PM

There are none so blind as those that will not see. Mormons in particular because then their fake world would fall apart.

Posted by: Roy G Biv ( )
Date: October 04, 2022 03:40PM

I was thinking about this on the way to work today and what has happened in this country over the last few years. Too many people with the "I only trust sources that tell me what I want to hear" attitude.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: October 04, 2022 04:19PM

As a musician, you know that people only really pay attention to the music they like.  When someone preaches to me about the beauty and relevance of a genre that I'm just not into, and I appear to be uninterested in what they're saying, am I an inferior being?

I want to be an inferior being on my own, not because of some societal irrelevance!!

Date: October 04, 2022 04:30PM

>> When someone preaches to me about the beauty and relevance of a genre that I'm just not into, and I appear to be uninterested in what they're saying, am I an inferior being? <<

No, just an inferior musician. So you're saying you don't like Perry Como? Well, let me tell you about Burl Ives.....better yet, lets talk about Ken.....

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=by+request+only+ken

Date: October 04, 2022 04:39PM

Only because it was you, Roy, did I hit the link...  I'm listening this 28 minutes of perfection and reading the poster's comments:

"Writing this is difficult, not because I can’t think of a good thing to say, but rather because I have too many good things to say.  There are a lot of adjectives to describe this album.  “Brilliant”?  Definitely. “Masterpiece”?  Yeah.  'The greatest thing mankind has ever created'?  Exactly.  To know Ken is to know that angels exist…because Ken has a heavenly voice like no other.

"The music of Ken was so fantastic, I threw away all of my other CDs and deleted everything from my iPod.  Anyone who has heard this album already knows that Ken is the greatest musical force of all-time and no one else could ever hope to compare, so what’s the point of even listening to other music?  In fact, I’m seriously considering closing my RYM account because 'By Request Only' is all I’ll ever need.

"Not only is Ken a talented musician, but he’s also an incredibly sexy man-God.  Every night before I go to bed, I fantasize about making passionate love to him and bearing his children.  The doctors tell me I can’t have kids because I’m a male, but damn it, I will find a way!  I want a magnificent mustache ride from Ken more than I want a cure for cancer or world peace."

...gonna change my wardrobe, too!

Date: October 04, 2022 04:47PM

That's the spirit! See, old dogs can learn new tricks!

As far the wardrobe goes, stick with lime green, lots of plaid, wide collars and big knot ties, bell bottoms, and white dress shoes. Ken and that is all you'll ever need and all your dreams will come true!

I'm sure even Gladys will agree!

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: October 04, 2022 07:02PM

I'm fine as long as he keeps the Yosemite Sam mustache and the bolo tie!

Date: October 04, 2022 06:57PM

You have a valid point. When media selection was limited and it was just networks It was ABC,CBS and NBC with Walter Cronkite being the most popular of all the talking heads. News was news and now it's polarized politically and then add in left wing and right wing alternative media with hosts who are out to say anything their niche audience wants to hear so they can make some $$$$$.

The result has been a divided country.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: October 04, 2022 04:32PM

BKP was right when he said sometimes the truth is not very useful. I hate to admit but he was savvy in working that revelation to his advantage.

Is the truth just something to get hung up on? Is the truth really the Wild Card in the deck?

Date: October 04, 2022 07:00PM

What Boyd was really saying is don't let the truth get in your way of supporting your church leaders. That's the church in a nutshell. Unconditional loyalty to the leadership. Period. That's what the church is. All the rest is just fluff.

Date: October 05, 2022 11:27AM

Too true. I just wish so many others hadn't followed Boyd's lead although he didn't invent the concept and it has been a mainstay of certain types for millenia.

Bad enough when churches are doing it, but . . . well you know.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: October 04, 2022 07:42PM

First, religion rejected truth. Then it was politics. Now the two have combined to deliver us into a world of lies. I suppose all we can do is keep telling the truth about history, both political and religious. Everyone has a will to power, some more than others. Much, much more. When they show us that their cause is more important than human rights, we know what they are. Extremists.

Date: October 04, 2022 08:23PM

"Hear, Hear!"

Date: October 04, 2022 10:07PM

There’s corruption in everything now including the peer review process in academia and science. It’s way deeper than politics and religion which we’re always dodgy. You are seeing what used to be once respected academic institutions hit the skids. Places like Harvard and MIT.

Date: October 04, 2022 10:20PM

Thank Mohonrimoriancomur that BYU has retained every bit of moral and intellectual integrity given to the institution by its founder, the Reverend Brigham Codpiece Young!!

Huzzah!

Date: October 05, 2022 12:07AM

I haven't heard the news that the UN and Google manipulate search results and can't find it on the web (even when not using Google), so I can't say for certain. But your record on this stuff is abysmal--January 6 was a liberal plot; no? then a false flag operation by Antifa and BLM; no? then a false flag operation by the FBI; anyway, none of the 800 arrested were charged or convicted; no? I'm sure you have a new explanation--and that is certainly relevant.

As for "cancel culture," it's instructive that you don't consider conservatives banning books censorship; and as for public speakers, it's interesting that you don't mention the hecklers at Liz Cheney and Adam Kinzinger's events. And what about the death threats to liberal politicians? It doesn't even register.

Once again you're showing that you have two standards, at least, and that you are either incapable or unwilling to look at things objectively. That's not honorable.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: October 05, 2022 12:35AM

You may disagree with the Jan 6 protesters, but their treatment as prisoners crosses the line way into cruel and unusual punishment. The kind usually reserved for black folks.

Doesn't the Prison Industrial Complex, in which we are all complicit, demonstrate who we are as a nation? Not only do we discard the least among us like trash, we torture and dehumanize them.

Which I find oddly reassuring given the current state of geopolitics. If the sky is filled with bright flashes and mushroom clouds, at least we kinda deserved it.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: October 05, 2022 11:38AM

"their treatment as prisoners crosses the line way into cruel and unusual punishment." ... explain

Date: October 05, 2022 04:15AM

?????? Who said anything about what you are referring to?

Date: October 05, 2022 08:18PM

caffiend did. It was a recitation of his usual conspiracy theories.

I'm not surprised his propaganda got zapped. I am not sure how my reply didn't follow his into the aether.

Posted by: [|] ( )
Date: October 05, 2022 08:38PM

>I am not sure how my reply didn't follow his into the aether

You posted it as a response to the original post, not as a response to caffiend's post. Thus it would only be deleted if the OP was deleted.

Date: October 05, 2022 08:45PM

Makes sense.

Posted by: schrodingerscat ( )
Date: October 05, 2022 11:52AM

No amount of evidence is enough to convince a fool of anything.
The ‘sunk cost fallacy’ and ‘Confirmation Bias’ are powerful motivators.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.