Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: November 22, 2022 08:27PM

Nighty, you're the only person I know who will groan with me at this Jeopardy! answer from tonight.

Category: Architecture
The question was to name the statue on Mormon temples (Moroni).

Out of all the famous buildings in the world, they somehow thought Mormon temples were worth including. Eye roll.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: November 22, 2022 08:57PM

Haha, dagny. It hasn't been shown here yet so I haven't seen it. I'll be sure to pay attention. It's on at 6:30 and again at 7:30 Pacific Time.

I was going to say, but then thought we'd already made the point, but thanks for this post so I can say it again: There's something going on. :)

There have been more Mormon clues in a brief period of time than I've heard ever and my mum and I watched the program every night for many years. It's difficult not to think it has something to do with their new permanent host who happens to be Mormon.

OTOH, it's almost beyond belief that he would put his hand on the scale like that. Because it's kind of a big fat groan if he is influencing the game for some kind of personal benefit, if only it's recognition within his religious community or to make said community more mainstream, or something?

To be fair, I was also going to say there are a lot of Bible clues in general lately. When you think of how many potential topics there are in this world, and how infrequently one of them is ever a category or even a single clue on Jeopardy, Mormonism definitely gets an outsize share of air time. But also Bible topics have shown up not just often but several times in short periods of time to the point that it's noticeable. Well, I would notice things like that but surely others do too. There's a wider application for the Bible though, with world history and historical sites a common theme for a Jeopardy topic anyway.

I know there's a lot of material in the scriptures for them to draw from but not every contestant nor audience member is Christian or interested or knowledgeable about less obvious scripture (well, anything can seem so if it's unfamiliar to you but still...). What does amaze me though is how some of the contestants know the most obscure things from the Bible. Even more know the "history" parts, such as names of rulers and especially places. The names of Bible books and their order even are somewhat common themes within that topic. Quite a few contestants do know those. Maybe everybody's cluing in (my Jep joke!) that they need to include the Bible in their pre-show study.

To date, that I know of, the program hasn't featured any clues specifically from the BoM. They seem to be going more for the leaders (well, JS & BY - I'd be SHOCKED if any contestant, no matter how well informed, knew any of the others by name) as well as place names. They've thrown in a few about Mormon historical events in the time of the founders (not the supposed history according to the BoM). Salt Lake City and BYU have come up several times as well as the Fancher party even.

I can't wait to see if any of tonight's contestants rang in on Moroni, and got it right. :)

I'm fairly sure, enough to put a dollar on it, that they have actually had that clue before - I recall that we had a thread about it because nobody knew, or something like that. You'd think they wouldn't want to publicize the name Moroni as it sounds so strange to outside ears but maybe they're so familiar with it they have no sense of that.

I watched the recent championship: I was cheering when Amy won but I liked the two men as well. I didn't notice Ken using any particular pronouns this week.

There are famous building clues quite often, all around the world. Maybe next we'll get "The name of the statue on the Paris temple". Haha. As if out of all the famous buildings in Paris worth looking at you'd even notice the mo temple. Is that mean to say? (Oh well, too late)...

Date: November 22, 2022 09:16PM

I also was happy for Amy. She sure knows a lot of stuff.

I think they are doing more Bible stuff than they used to, but like you say, the Bible has a wider application.

I kind of suspect it's not a matter of Ken or Mormon staff putting their thumb on the scale. Rather, they might think Mormon (and religion) stuff is more widespread and important because that is the world they come from. Also, as someone said here (LW I think), maybe they know the geographical areas and market where the show is most popular. Who knows.

Enjoy!
PS: My favorite contestant playing tonight got the answer.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: November 22, 2022 10:56PM

Yep. That's my theory. They know their demographic market and serve it.

Otherwise there's no way they would pay such attention to the details of a stupid little cult.

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: November 22, 2022 10:21PM

I love Jeopardy and watched every night for years while Hubs was on the road. Now that he is grounded we watch Big Bang. Sigh. My favorite category is Potent Potables :)

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: November 22, 2022 10:50PM

WAY OUT OF PROPORTION!

Date: November 22, 2022 11:31PM

Having just returned from NY, PA, NJ, I can easily think of more significant architecture:

Independence Hall, World Trade Center, Washington, Lincoln, & Jefferson buildings in WDC, ect. MoMA, Metropolitan Museum, Lincoln Center, many many others...

Jeopardy is trolling.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/22/2022 11:54PM by GNPE.

Date: November 25, 2022 09:47PM

And yet again.

The answer to tonight's Mormon clue was "What is BYU?" which the (Canadian) contestant got correct.

Ken piped up to say "Yes. Brigham Young."

In case any watchers didn't know the full name.

When is there going to be a Catholic clue? Or a Presbyterian one? Lutheran?

They usually mix up the categories and clues so the same topic doesn't repeat over and over and over and ...

Date: November 25, 2022 10:08PM

I saw that too! Major groan.

Out of all the sport things and images of school stadiums, they pick BYU's stadium to identify. And, like you said, it gave Ken a chance to say Brigham Young as if just saying BYU wasn't enough. I surprised Ken didn't put his hand over his heart.

I think in their world, Mormon stuff is right up there with Catholics in significance and influence. It's beyond weird at this point. I am becoming less and less happy with Ken. I think he's in a Mormon bubble and can't see out.

Date: December 03, 2022 01:36PM

Two or three more clues in quick succession lately eliciting a response of "Utah". With the last one, Ken yelled out "Mormon" after the contestant responded correctly. Just in case a viewer doesn't know Utah/Mormon, maybe.

Why not make use of a national stage when you get the chance. I guess.

It shouldn't bug me but somewhat it does. It's certainly noticeable. Mormon host. Mormon clues. And in general more Bible clues in a much shorter time than are usually featured for any one topic.

I was thinking during the last episode that maybe it will be necessary for future contestants to study or at least read or review the Bible just in case. So if you're sneak-preaching that would be quite effective.

I don't think it's just because it's Bible/Mormonism that I'm noticing it. I would notice any rapidly recurring topic because with a whole big wide world out there, plenty of subjects await to be explored. No need to repeat the same ones so soon.

Although they certainly have more pop culture topics too lately than I remember from the past. If you don't stay up to date with musical artists and movie stars you likely won't do as well.

I admire the contestants though. I'd have to have a couple of truckloads more guts to even apply. Not to mention a good few hundred thousand more little grey cells floating around inside my head. I especially hope the (very few) Canadians who appear do well. It's daunting as so many clues relate to the USA. Not all of us are totally up on every aspect of US history and government.

It's interesting and often educational though so I keep watching despite the niggle every time they give a plug for Ken's religion.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/03/2022 01:38PM by Nightingale.

Date: December 03, 2022 06:05PM

I agree with your thoughts about this, Nighty.

Date: December 08, 2022 08:31PM

There was another Mormon question tonight. It had to do with a court case that ruled Mormons couldn't use 1st the amendment to justify polygamy.

The category was about court cases. Out of all the court cases in history, they pick one about Mormons.

However, bringing up polygamy is not exactly complementary for the church. Also, it must be killing them that the church's whole dumb name won't fit on the game board so they have to use Mormon.

To Mormons, everything is about Mormonism. I think they have an exaggerated sense of self importance.

Date: December 08, 2022 09:38PM

I'm just watching it now. They're at the first break.

I cannot BELIEVE there's another Mo clue already.

We were right the first time - the fix IS in!

It shouldn't bug me so much but it does.

Not fair!

Out of all the religions in all the gin joints...

Date: December 08, 2022 09:48PM

LOL. You're the only one I know who understands!

To give them credit, they did have one clue about a Hindu monkey god. I guess that's progress!

Date: December 08, 2022 10:05PM

From what you two report, it sounds like the trend is becoming more and more pronounced.

That may spell the show's decline. If you've got an important demographic, you want to keep them happy. But if you cater to them too much, you lose your other viewers--leaving you ever more dependent on the remaining group.

Jeopardy may be staggering towards the graveyard.

Date: December 08, 2022 11:58PM

Who knows. Maybe it's just that my irritation with it is more pronounced! I don't want to hear about Mormon stuff on game shows for cripes sakes.

Date: December 09, 2022 12:07AM

Something just occurred to me. Conspiracy theory alert!

Maybe Ken is doing a church messaging service now that the church gave the OK for gay marriage rights.

Just maybe mentioning this case against polygamy was their way to let everyone know the church is NOT favoring rights for polygamists. ;-)

Date: December 09, 2022 12:37AM

If we're donning tin foil, maybe Ken is himself gay.

Date: December 09, 2022 01:59PM

You win.

Posted by: tumwater ( )
Date: December 09, 2022 01:39PM

I notice the LDS topics on Jeopardy, but it seems that some are too sensitive about it.

To me there are many more topics relative to Catholics than LDS and I don't seem to notice that reaction.

Date: December 09, 2022 01:48PM

The LDS church is hardly in the same league as the Catholic church.

The host is Mormon, so it matters if a bias shows. You know, kind of like if judges were Catholic and always sided with....never mind.

Date: December 09, 2022 02:08PM

Yes, it's about the bias. It's just something a bit interesting that we're noticing and musing about.

I definitely don't notice more Catholic clues on Jeopardy! than the number of times a Mormon clue has popped up lately.

Seeing as how we're at RfM to discuss Mormonism, that's why it's a thing.

That is all.

Oh. Predictably, that isn't all. There are many more clues, by far, about the USA than there are about, oh, Canada, for instance. But I don't expect any different. It's a US show. So that I don't gripe about. But in all the years that Alex Trebek hosted the show, if there was a Mormon clue once a decade, if ever, that would be about all, I'd guess. Now it's every month, or more. What a strange coincidence that it's occurring at the same time the new host is being Mormon.

So yeah. It's just something a little bit noteworthy, if you notice these details. If not, OK...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/09/2022 02:13PM by Nightingale.

Date: December 09, 2022 02:22PM

True all that.

I admit I'm not really as irritated as I'm letting on. It's a game show after all for cripes sake. I have lots of trivial gripes about all kinds of things. When they involve Mormonism, this is the place to be!

Date: December 09, 2022 01:49PM

There are roughly 100 times as many Catholics in the world as Mormons. It follows there should be 100 times as many Catholic-related questions as Mormon-related ones.

I don't watch Jeopardy--someone once told me that doing so would give me cankles--but what I read on RfM suggests the actually ratio is much more LDS than it should be.

Date: December 09, 2022 01:58PM

I'll have you know I recently noticed cankles on Kimberly Guilfoyle (in her recent evening gown pictures that somehow showed up on social media). I have a future in politics and maybe even in perfume advertisements!

Date: December 09, 2022 02:10PM

If you play your cards really well, you may end up dating a Trump.

Date: December 09, 2022 02:14PM

Lot's Wife Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If you play your cards really well, you may end up
> dating a Trump.

This discussion is going downhill faster than a NY minute!

Date: December 09, 2022 02:16PM

Hold me back!

Date: December 09, 2022 02:18PM

I'm laughing right now.

Date: December 09, 2022 02:24PM

Think of the possibility of buried on a golf course even! A girl can dream.

Date: December 09, 2022 02:26PM

Bury me not on the lone prairie.

A golf course would do me fine. But how many times would you want to get whacked with a club? So, on second thought.

Date: December 09, 2022 02:27PM

If you were buried on a golf course, EOD could visit you at least weekly.

. . . Not entirely sure that's a positive.

Date: February 01, 2023 08:30PM

Nighty! I couldn't resist resurrecting this thread again. They did it again. There's no one but you for me to groan with.

Tonight a category was about people who got pardons.

The question was who got pardoned in the Utah war. The answer was Brigham Young.

Out of all the people in history, they had to include a Mormon example. It's like they're turning the show into Mormon FHE Trivia night.

OK. As you were. Carry on.

Date: February 01, 2023 09:02PM

As soon as I saw that this thread had floated up, I knew what you were going to say. It is getting beyond belief now. Just too often. Too obvious.

I think Ken definitely must have influence in this or else the producers (or whoever chooses the clues) are doing it as a nod to him. As I said above, I've watched the show for years. You rarely ever get repeats of certain themes - some categories recur definitely but not one specific topic or clue often enough to be noteworthy, on any subject. Certainly not any particular religion. I mean, have they ever featured Catholic-themed clues with regularity? Not that I've ever noted.

Why would they want to resurrect Brigham Young? You'd think they'd be content to keep him buried.

The idea occurred to me that this is a really sneaky way to get future contestants to study Mormonism because of the frequency of Mormon clues coming up. Knowing one response that other players don't, especially if it's a Daily Double, could make the difference as to whether you win or not.

But they wouldn't stoop that low, would they? To sneakily introduce Mormonism to America via a game show?

Sheesh. I know it's a small thing, very very small, to complain about but I don't like sneaky. However, I don't mind Ken as much as I thought I was going to.

But I might be getting over Jeopardy anyway. It's a habit because my mum and I used to watch it together and I've just kept up the tradition. But more and more I don't know any of the material. I don't even know answers to the Mormon clues, LOL.

I haven't seen it tonight yet as it's on here at 6:30 and then again at 7:30 but we're behind you up here so you see it first.

Oh well. Worse things happen at sea, so they say.

Date: February 01, 2023 10:14PM

It could be a sneaky way to make sure people study Mormon stuff to compete. I tend to think it's more about self importance. They actually think Mormon stuff is a bigger subset of everything than it really is.

At least they had a category about Greek gods. If they ever have a category about BoM characters, I'm done with it! LOL

Anyway, enjoy!

Date: February 01, 2023 11:51PM

Lest I repeat myself, let me repeat myself.

Which is more likely: the people at Jeopardy are trying to spread Mormonism by making people study arcana that have no spiritual import at all, or they are trying to maintain what at this point is their core audience?

To put the point more precisely, how many people will convert because BY was pardoned by the federal government in the late 1850s?

Date: February 02, 2023 01:09AM

True, but why would Mormons become the core audience? Were they before Ken? I'm not sure I care enough to research their audience stats.

In Mormon-think, probably anything on TV about Mormons equates to publicity.

I hear tidbits here and there and it piques my interest to look into something I don't know much about. FWIW.

But, I agree with your overall point which makes the most sense. Follow the money. They know audience types to cater their content.

Date: February 02, 2023 01:20AM

I have no information besides what everyone else here has, but I can say that I have not heard anyone other than Mormons or ex-Mormons mention anything about Jeopardy in decades.

I don't think anything has changed suddenly, but I would not be surprised if the broader American public gradually turned away from evening game shows. Could it be that the non-Mormon audience has shrunk, leaving Mormons disproportionately loyal? If so, then maintaining that audience would be important as a means of keeping the revenue flowing.

I likewise don't know anything about Jennings, but in my hypothesis he wouldn't have been the driving force here. I'd alternatively put my money on older Mormons being stuck in the 1950s or 1960s in their viewing habits as well as so many other things.

Does that make any sense?

Date: February 02, 2023 11:13AM

Yep. That does make sense.

They do seem to be pushing more to encourage people to try out to be contestants. Plus, they spend a lot of time creating "events" for "champions" who won a certain number of games. They seem to create star champions who go on to do even dumber games like "The Chase." I suppose they will try whatever keeps them all in business.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: February 02, 2023 11:39AM

I hope I'm still among the living when
      "Naked Jeopardy" premiers on Netflix.

Date: February 02, 2023 11:52AM

Please no. Have you SEEN some of those people?

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: February 02, 2023 12:14PM

Well, one supposes that applicants will self-censor...

How about stip-Jeopardy?

Date: February 02, 2023 07:14PM

Seriously, Jesus, can anyone expect you to self-censor?

The mind reels. . .

Date: December 09, 2022 02:17PM

I only watch it because my mum loved it and we'd compete to see who could get the most correct answers. I don't know why I bothered - she always beat me by dozens.

So, it's a habit, in remembrance. I will likely fade away from it at some point.

As for the cankles, which I only just learned about, here at RfM (thanks dagny!) now that I know about them I'll watch out for it. Not watching Ken any more could be a wise preventive measure.

Date: January 17, 2023 09:57PM

So tonight the answer was the Mormon Tabernacle.

{{groan}}

But none of the super-smart people knew it. Ha. Petty of me, I know.

Date: January 17, 2023 11:30PM

LOL! I saw it too. I almost posted to you but you beat me to it.
I groaned in your honor!

I don't remember the exact wording, but the category was Housewives (like the cities and TV shows). Where did the SLC housewives visit or some such was the clue.

Seriously, out of all the Housewives of (fill in city), THAT'S what they had to include. Lame.

Date: January 18, 2023 12:15AM

I forget the question too or actually I may not have heard it. I was distracted. I would like to know if I would have shouted out the correct answer. If it was a TV thing - Housewives - that I wouldn't know.

But really. How many mo clues does it take to ruin a good game show? :P

It shouldn't bug me but strangely it does. Is there another major religion they are mentioning every month or more often? Some categories don't come up on Jeopardy more than once a decade. Like the inner workings of Hinduism for instance. That would actually be easier to answer for many more people as it's such a huge religion compared to Mormonism.

Date: January 18, 2023 01:20AM

I've never watched the Housewives of anything because, well, nope.

So, I didn't really get what the category was about but my ears perked up at Mormon Tabernacle.

Every once in a while they have a category about gods or mythology. They have a lot of Biblical references. I don't think they include details about JWs or Scientology nearly as often as Mormonism. I think in their minds Mormonism is equal to the other big world religions or something. In my mind it's more equivalent to fringe religions.

Anyway, Ken says hi.

Date: January 18, 2023 02:28PM

dagny Wrote:
> I've never watched the Housewives of anything
> because, well, nope.

Me either. I've just heard of it. It seems like such a stale-dated word! I don't know why it popped into my head when I was writing my post - just an example of some more pop culture with which I'm not au courant. :)

> So, I didn't really get what the category was
> about but my ears perked up at Mormon Tabernacle.

Mine too. I wanted to rewind to hear the question but in the end didn't bother. I know it's terribly petty of me to smile that nobody knew the answer. Somehow can't help it.

> Every once in a while they have a category about
> gods or mythology. They have a lot of Biblical
> references. I don't think they include details
> about JWs or Scientology nearly as often as
> Mormonism.

Yes, I've noticed more Biblical clues/answers in the past year. The contestants seem to get most of them correct. Maybe it's a secret Jeopardy crusade to get all these learned people studying the Bible in case it crops up and helps them win a game. An underground proselytizing effort - ha - not really.

Can you imagine a clue about JWs? Nobody would *have* a clue, for sure. Embarrassing to be them (the JWs). Actually, they'd wear it as a mantle of gold because they certainly have isolationist tendencies.

Maybe Scientology is verboten as a subject because Tom Cruise is an icon. Or something? Don't want to venture into dicey territory.

> I think in their minds Mormonism is
> equal to the other big world religions or
> something. In my mind it's more equivalent to
> fringe religions.

Yes, or they're trying to push it that way. It is uniquely American so that could be one explanation for its popularity with the Clue Crew. Also, Ken.

> Anyway, Ken says hi.

Ha. Yeah. I guess I should say I'm getting used to him. He's not exciting at all but he's not obnoxious either. I guess it's not his fault he's Mormon. When you're raised in a faith it can be a wrench, as so many here know, to break free from it, especially an all-consuming one like Mormonism strives to be.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/18/2023 02:31PM by Nightingale.

Date: January 18, 2023 05:38PM

I read that the producers are working on Real Housewives of Southeastern Idaho.

All I can say is that dagny should hold out for a big compensation package. Dental and everything.

Date: January 18, 2023 05:57PM

Prepare for scandal! We've already filmed our first episode. It's about the SE Idaho housewives of Pocatello texting each other to find out if that noise we heard was a gun shot or a train.

Posted by: Eric3 ( )
Date: January 23, 2023 12:15PM

I like Jeopardy, I like Ken, but there's no question that certain subjects have been given prominence lately. 999 out of 1000 people in the world are not Mormon, don't care about Mormon history or property, are not big in the demographics.

Date: February 01, 2023 11:39PM

I often wonder if Ken’s ‘Brothers & Sisters’ in his ward/stake invite him to Scamway meetings & other “investment opportunities”…
talk about a are way to kill a (possible) friendship …

also, does he participate in cleaning chores too?

Posted by: tumwater ( )
Date: February 02, 2023 10:19AM

Some Seattleite on RFM must go to his ward and could tell us if he does any cleaning chores and what callings he has.

Date: February 02, 2023 11:32AM

the are a handful of east Lake Washington cities that are inhabitants of the Extremely well-to-do such as Bill Gates and other Billionaires, it's probably discoverable where KJ lives, but unless you arrive in a vehicle worth $75 k or more, as an outsider you'll stick out like a sore thumb...

Someone in the Penishood will ask you where you live, are you moving there, etc...

Cleaning assignments will be online & password protected & encrypted!!

Good idea though, Tumwater

Posted by: kentish ( )
Date: February 02, 2023 12:58PM

Whether we like it or not Mormonism and Mormons play a major role in the development of the West. If questions are to cover regions of the country then the West is certainly a legitimate subject and can hardly be discussed without mention of things Mormon. Scientology and JWs hardly count within that context.

I am currently reading The Promise of the Grand Canyon which focusses on the life of John Wesley Powell and his expedition down the Grand Canyon. Powell was among the first to suggest that the West could not support a massive influx of settlers as limited water could not sustain sufficient agriculture to feed them. When I ran the Colorado River through the Grand Canyon some years ago, I read, as I was following in his footsteps, a little on Powell. Though I have not reached it yet in the book I find that Powell's story includes interaction with Brigham Young and the Mormons. Even without religion, any questions on the westward movement must include Mormons.

Date: February 02, 2023 06:57PM

kentish Wrote:
> Even without religion, any questions on the westward movement must include Mormons.

I’m not disagreeing with your closing sentence, but what other significant events & cultures are just as noteworthy and crucial critical in the history & development of the western N. America?

I nominate these:

- maritime explorations & map-making of coastlines

- California gold rush + exploitation of other resources such as silver

- extensions of railways

- Spanish inhabitants

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/02/2023 07:11PM by GNPE.

Posted by: Kentish ( )
Date: February 02, 2023 07:00PM

You will note I used the word "include"

Date: February 02, 2023 07:11PM

My concern is that Mormonism is or might get more recognition than other items should have.

Date: February 02, 2023 07:29PM

GNPE Wrote:
> My concern is that Mormonism is or might get more
> recognition than other items should have.

Yeah, I haven't seen any of this lately (or ever?):

"- maritime explorations & map-making of coastlines

- California gold rush + exploitation of other resources such as silver

- extensions of railways

- Spanish inhabitants"

Not a single question on Spanish inhabitants in the years I've been watching.

That's our main point in griping about it - that the Mormon clues come up monthly now, at least, and there's a perception of somebody's thumb on the scale as it's only been since Ken J has been hosting.

But oh well, worse things happen at sea. I know. It's just a bit of fun to gripe sometimes, in mostly a pleasant way.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.