Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Sharapata ( )
Date: December 03, 2022 02:03PM

Never thought I would ever see this. The Church is throwing in the towel by selling off two chapels in Fremont:

https://www.loopnet.com/search/churches/fremont-ca/for-sale/

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: December 03, 2022 06:00PM

That's just around the corner from San Jose, CA. I guess the Apple and Google and Facebook engineers aren't that interested in the One True Church Upon the Face of the Earth™.

That's a lot of lost tithing.

Posted by: Phantom Shadow ( )
Date: December 04, 2022 12:47AM

Anytime a member here in Silicon Valley makes a bit of money they move back to Utah. Well, that was the way it was a few years ago when we witnessed a great exodus. I live on a hill and can see the Catholic Church next to the Mormon chapel below. Even with the pandemic, the Catholic Church has expanded by building a new parking lot nearby. A Catholic friend, since moved away, said the meetings were so crowded that they had to find new space. During the pandemic they erected an outdoor tent-like structure and we could hear the services being conducted in good weather.

Next door, the Mormon Ward seems kind of empty. We haven't heard of any activities there for a long, long time. Despite the drought, they still have a huge green lawn in front, which irritates me no end when I drive past. I don't know what is really going on there. Haven't met anyone who attends there and it always seems lonely on a Sunday.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: December 04, 2022 01:28AM

I haven’t lived in Seattle for about 45 yrs but I still consider it home & wonder how church & friends there are doing. In general ( except for temple attendance) I don’t think ChurchCo does well with an aging cohort / demographic; I believe the ‘emphasis on youth’ has caught up with them. The missionary who converted me, a Utah Highway Trooper, passed a few years ago.

Posted by: sunstoned ( )
Date: December 04, 2022 11:25PM

Last year I visited my home ward in California for Easter Sunday. The chapel was about one third full. Maybe forty people. There are almost four hundred on the books. I took a little drive after the service and saw full parking lots at the Catholic, Methodist and Baptist churches. TSCC numbers are tanking.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: December 05, 2022 10:32AM

The ward was using an overflow with folding chairs.

My mom now informs me that they have closed the overflow area.

She tells me that some members have not returned since the covid shutdown.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.