Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: December 03, 2022 06:53PM

I think Peggy is a bit overwrought here but I'm always willing to doubt my doubts.

https://www.sltrib.com/religion/2022/12/03/latter-day-saint-activism-see/

Has the activism in ldsism influenced change? Do we have a hundreds of billions of dollars corporation today because of grassroots trickle up effects?

I don't know. I think "the world" had far more influence than any believer in these changes.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: December 03, 2022 07:02PM

"Believing members should sustain the status quo, he argued, and wait for the prophet to “change the lightbulb.”"

How many prophets does it take to change a light bulb?

Date: December 03, 2022 07:09PM

Only one has seen a bright light with God and Jesus. It might take 50 more to change that light and make it bright again.

Posted by: BoydKKK ( )
Date: December 04, 2022 10:18AM

bradley Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> "Believing members should sustain the status quo,
> he argued, and wait for the prophet to “change
> the lightbulb.”"
>
> How many prophets does it take to change a light
> bulb?

How can you change what you can't see?

Posted by: Honest TB[long] ( )
Date: December 03, 2022 07:38PM

Mighty rivers of tears of joy flood my eyes as I write this and my Correlation-programmed brain thinks about this article. Everything fires us up.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: December 03, 2022 07:46PM

The church has always had terrible policies and fights like hell when efforts are made to "change" them.

Sorry, I don't remember the church listening to suggestions made by well-meaning members.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: December 04, 2022 12:13PM

But there is some evidence that mormon ghawd inspires surveys and then inspires the members to respond to them and then inspires the leadership to review them and be inspired to introduce new aspects of the continually-being-restored joy that is mormonism.

Keep in mind, mormonism doesn't change; it improves.

Also, keep in mind that the ultimate goal of mormonism is for good men to have lots of wives . . . Lots and lots of wives; you can't have too many wives!

On this, The Cat and I will embrace in unity: mormonism is a sex cult; women have a void men believe is theirs to fill.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: December 03, 2022 09:20PM

Peggy missed one. I think the changes to the temple endowment, removing the 5 points of fellowship, and the pantomimed death oaths was a bottom-up change because the members complained.

Date: December 04, 2022 12:01PM

But they were cool with the naked touching.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: December 04, 2022 12:29PM

Elder Berry Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> But they were cool with the naked touching.

Exactly.

I was standing naked with the church's approved "shield" which was too short- I'm tall and big. And 5 brothers are walking around me whispering- yeah that doesn't quite fit. Do we have any others?

Not only was I questioning what the hell did I get myself into, but I thought- If so much is done by proxy and prayer, why can't they just lay their hands on my head and say "We know pronounce you washed and cleaned from the sins of the world"

I didn't think this was EVER a proper thing for a religious organization to do.

Posted by: BoydKKK ( )
Date: December 05, 2022 07:17PM

The 5 points of fellowship was changed due to way too many women complaining of a 6th point from some of the dirty old men on the other side of the veil. Add in too many of them were "touchy/feely" with their hands and you see the "inspiration" for the change of the endowment - that great "revealed" ceremony observed by every dispensation - from Adam to now. Right?

Posted by: briantchrist ( )
Date: December 04, 2022 08:46AM

Nothing says "I know nothing and never look beneath the surface" like an article by PFS.

Date: December 05, 2022 05:29PM

She is like Robert Kirby without the humor.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.