Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: December 04, 2022 12:41PM

I was curious if my great grandfather's talks were on Spotify today so I searched. They are there.

So I listen to some of this very long speech. I thought the title apropos. My father was never there. His grandfather I never knew much. I was a young child when he died but I couldn't go to the funeral. Too important a man for kids there.

It was then with great surprise I found this in his talk.

"When I got up in the mountains on top of a peak, I was all alone. I removed my hat, and in a loud voice I said, “Oh, God, are you there? You know that I am about to be a millionaire, or I think I am. Father, if this is not to be good for me or my family, don’t allow it to happen. If it is going to rob my family of their faith, don’t allow it to happen.” I talked to Him as a man would talk to another man. I didn’t seem to get an answer. I stayed up there for some time."
https://speeches.byu.edu/talks/hugh-b-brown/father/

Seriously, my father always wanted to be a millionaire. Even with his own business he didn't succeed. Ironically, my father owned an oil annuity inherited from his mother (Brown's daughter.)

One of my sibs will get it when my mother dies. It is a last vestige of Mr Brown's million.

I wonder if any living apostles ever thought like Brown. I doubt it. How could they? Brown helped turn the church into a billions and billions of dollars affair.

He was worried about his family but not his church.

Don't worry great grampa. None of your posterity did as well as you that I know of.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/04/2022 12:44PM by Elder Berry.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: December 04, 2022 01:39PM

Very interesting family history, EB.

Unfortunate legacies.

Date: December 05, 2022 05:08PM

Nightingale Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Unfortunate legacies.

Name of my band (of people.)

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: December 04, 2022 03:26PM

Not knowing the story of HBB after he left Alberta for Utah, what businesses was he involved in that made him wealthy?

Date: December 05, 2022 05:05PM

Exon Mobile I think before it became that. He was a lawyer for an oil company in Canada before he got the call to become a GA.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.