Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: December 05, 2022 08:51PM

Very sad. Cancer. Evil cancer.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Anonymous Muser ( )
Date: December 05, 2022 09:50PM

What's really sad is that she never freed herself from a cult even worse than our own. She was reported to have a feud with Leah Remini when LR left that barbaric organization.

She got at least to OT-7 [Wiki], but did she finally manage to go clear by the end? Only Xenu knows.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: December 05, 2022 11:10PM

Anonymous Muser Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> She got at least to OT-7 , but did she finally
> manage to go clear by the end? Only Xenu knows.

I'm Operating Cretin-13. Xenu obeys ME.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: December 05, 2022 11:15PM

Perhaps. But EOD is, and always will be, the head cretin on this board.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: December 05, 2022 11:23PM

You big Crete!!

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: December 07, 2022 10:31AM

You guys all still Cretins? OMG That is soooooooo yesterday!

If you're interested I can get you into the entry level of the next big thing. Like Tiffany's and Cartier--- Price upon request, of course.

Tom's been begging me for a while for I can't get over that couch jumping thing. I'm not clearing him for a while.

Date: December 07, 2022 09:54PM

You are missing the distinctions. I am a Cretan, Jesus is a cretin, and Tom is a crouton.

Posted by: Gordon B. Stinky ( )
Date: December 12, 2022 05:46PM

Hehehe!

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: December 05, 2022 10:54PM

That one was a bit of a shock. I had to blink a few times, not quite believing what I was reading. :(

RIP Kirstie.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: December 06, 2022 01:54AM

Somebody tell Dave.

Date: December 06, 2022 02:05AM

We probably won't hear from Dave for a while. He's beside himself with grief, holed up in a La Quita Inn with a bottle of vodka and a pack of cigs.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: December 06, 2022 02:21AM

I have a friend in Wichita who did some work on her house there. He said Kirstie was very nice and fun to be around. He said she loved to drive this cool old car from the 40’s that was all restored.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: December 06, 2022 08:58AM

Suddenly it's my generation, and my brother's generation, that are dying off. It feels weird. As one of my coworkers observed, "We're the old people now."

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: December 07, 2022 11:55AM

Too many my age and younger than me dieing. Been on my mind a lot lately...and that my dear wife didn't get to be this old.

Date: December 06, 2022 05:05PM

I think that's why it shocked me so much. Someone born in the 50s, like me, is suddenly 71 years old and has passed away. It's too close for comfort.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: December 06, 2022 05:15PM

Based on family history, I have figured that I will live into my mid-80s, and perhaps even longer. But you just never know. A family friend died quite suddenly of an embolism in her early 70s. It's frightening. I don't want to lose my loved ones before they reach a ripe old age.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: December 06, 2022 06:12PM

I wouldn't wish colon cancer on anyone. I also wouldn't wish a colonoscopy to detect it on anyone.

She's a reminder that it's real.

Treasure every day we have.

Date: December 12, 2022 05:49PM

I got an endoscopy and colonoscopy on the same horrible day.

Date: December 06, 2022 07:47PM

Yes, truly.

In 2017, my Dad sang a duet with my Mom on June 17th. On June 26th he was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. He was gone on July 9th. The poor guy said to his doctor, "But I was fine two weeks ago."

It can be such a shock. It was that fast.

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: December 06, 2022 08:12PM

Yes, Greyfort. It's harsh. I attended a friend's funeral last week. She was diagnosed 2 yrs ago with pancreatic cancer and seemed to respond to treatment but 6 months ago told everyone that its tentacles were taking her down. It was a tough few months and now she's gone. I think pancreatic cancer is one of the most dire of diagnoses.

It's easy to say that going quickly is better than hanging on and suffering but you'd certainly hope for more time. A speedy loss can enhance the pain, definitely.

I still say "Mum was fine the day before" when relating her passing three years ago now. She was fine the day before the day when she wasn't. I think that certainly makes things harder to come to terms with.

I'm sorry about your dad. Yes, it would be shocking.

There are pros and cons to either way, fast or not so fast. It's tough when you don't get enough time to say the good-bye you'd hope to. I would have quit work early the day before and spent more time enjoying my beloved Mum's pleasant company. Fortunately, we did that often enough that I have those priceless memories.

My friend who just passed away still had so much to offer. After nursing she went on to gain much more education and helped so many people and families with her knowledge, capabilities and warm heart. She was still doing additional studies when the disease caught up with her.

It's difficult at times to find meaning in the face of what seems like such a waste. You have to just hang on to the positives. And even in the face of the pain of loss hopefully we can see and remember the positives.

As for public figures we feel like we know, their passing can be a shock too and can also elicit our grief. I have never longed for anything as much as I do for a definitive cure for the big C.

Date: December 06, 2022 09:03PM

The one thing I am grateful for, when it comes to my Dad, is that he got to live a normal life, blissfully unaware of what was to come, right up to the end.

It's just that we didn't have time to adjust to the idea of losing him. But I told myself that one day I'd be glad that my Dad didn't spend a few years suffering.

Posted by: alsd ( )
Date: December 07, 2022 01:40AM

Watched a few videos on Scientology over the years, and watched one yesterday about her passing away. While there is no specific prohibition in Scientology regarding medical treatment, reluctance is common, especially in the higher OT levels, because of the teaching of Scientology. They literally believe that stuff like cancer is the flawed theatans trying to attach themselves to your body, and they can be eliminated through proper "auditing". The higher level "auditing" is essentially described as counseling for the flawed theatans, and that proper auditing can convince them to remove themselves. This former Scientologist believed that while Kirstie Alley may have eventually sought medical intervention, it is his belief, based on her being at least OT7 (and quite possibly have done OT8), that she likely postponed conventional medical treatment in order to use Scientology practices. Sad if true. Of course we see this in several religions, where people trust in the power of their religious beliefs to deal with their medical issues. So this is not something unique to Scientology.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: December 07, 2022 10:46AM

Thanks. Glad you added this. Needs to be known.

They take the same approach as Mormons, ie: "I don't know that we teach that . . ."

Insinuation and innuendo work much better for many religions. There is no mystery as to what they want you to do, the mystery is the why.

The extreme Scientology they represented made it impossible for me to watch Tom, Kirstie, and John. I overlook a lot, but that cult is cruel. Would be like watching Oaks play Sheriff Taylor in a revival of the Andy Griffith Show.

Date: December 11, 2022 10:15PM

alsd Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> This former
> Scientologist believed that while Kirstie Alley
> may have eventually sought medical intervention,
> it is his belief, based on her being at least OT7
> (and quite possibly have done OT8), that she
> likely postponed conventional medical treatment in
> order to use Scientology practices. Sad if true.
> Of course we see this in several religions, where
> people trust in the power of their religious
> beliefs to deal with their medical issues. So this
> is not something unique to Scientology.

This has been very true, in the past, with Christian Scientists. After a life time of supposedly effective healing "demonstrations," they would arrive in their mature years unfamiliar with malignant conditions. They'd treat the symptoms, but not the causes, and perhaps turn--far too late--to medical care. Then they'd succumb, and Christian Scientists would snidely remark, "Well--had she stayed with 'Divine Science,' instead of 'materia medica,'* she'd probably be with us today."

At long last, Christian Science culture is much more relaxed about utilizing authentic medical care. Like LDS, the more radical strictures of the faith are dissipating with the passing of that generation, forcing the hierarchy into difficult positions--and decision

*That's a now-dated derogatory term we used for conventional medicine.

On a lighter note:

https://uploads.disquscdn.com/images/693719e74fcae519da20cad2d5b5e4af4c7d062a08ee1a598975b28f4b883cde.jpg?w=600&h=366

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: December 11, 2022 10:53PM

>Then they'd succumb, and Christian Scientists would snidely remark, "Well--had she stayed with 'Divine Science,' instead of 'materia medica,'* she'd probably be with us today."

>*That's a now-dated derogatory term we used for conventional medicine.

That seems like it ought to be related to the "physical materialism" and related terms thrown around here by those trying to convince us there is some sort of ghost in the machine.

https://www.exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,2455509,2455905#msg-2455905

And say what you will about Rusty, he probably saved hundreds, perhaps thousands of lives by calling off "administering to the sick" during the covid pandemic. That meant admitting that there is no magic protection from olive oil, no matter how well consecrated. Nor priesthood ordination, even if you can trace your keys directly back to JoJu.

Date: December 12, 2022 10:18PM

PS: I find when I mention "Christian Science," most people think of Tom Cruise, EL-ron Hubbard, and all that. I usually just say, "Christian Science and Scientology are actually very different cults. They're both very wrong, but for very different reasons. Christian Science is headquartered in Boston, and Scientology is in Clearwater, Florida, and has been strong in Hollywood."

Unless there's interest or a reason to go further, that's usually sufficient for casual conversation.

We used to wisecrack that Christian Science was "the cult for the cultured." Relative to Scientology, Divine Light Mission, JWs, and others, I'd call it a soft cult. It's so soft now, I think we'd be hard pressed to apply our usual cult criteria to it. Maybe it's just a pseudo-Christian sect now.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: December 12, 2022 04:43PM

Cheers to her in her next life.

Date: December 12, 2022 05:47PM

Agreed! Pun intended, I assume.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: December 12, 2022 05:48PM

May she not come back as a bar fly.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.