Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: anon this time ( )
Date: January 10, 2023 11:57PM

I was going to send them to him but I realized it would just fan a response. I never did read them.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: January 11, 2023 10:22AM

You have piqued my interest.

Sometimes more is more not less?

I have a box of all the missionary letters I sent to my parents that I got when Mom sold the house and cleaned out. I am very reluctant to read any but can't throw them.

The one reason I would read them is to remember things forgotten like even who most of my companions were besides insufferable. Only about three weren't.

Posted by: anon for this one ( )
Date: January 11, 2023 02:03PM

I'm trying to transition to being a virtual hoarder.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: January 25, 2023 06:21PM

Just a note that I love the word, "insufferable." It is so descriptive of certain people.

Posted by: messygoop not logged in ( )
Date: January 11, 2023 10:29AM

I got you all beat.

I mailed home all my weekly letters, proselytizing planners with names, appointments, companions with the grand idea that I could relive-revisit my mission anytime I desied.

So my TBM collected all this stuff and took it out to the burn pile. Yep, she burned it all during a freak rainstorm the last weekend.

I lost my missionary journals, but I still have the wacky photos when we goofed off.

Date: January 11, 2023 10:30AM

**my TBM mom threw out my stuff and burned it

Date: January 11, 2023 10:50AM

I burned my missionary journal. It was huge thick and fat and had a ton in it including a stamp collection inside the covers and lots of photos. I really wish I hadn't burned it but it horrified me back then.

Now, having come to terms with who I was then I would love to read those two years from this distance--the other side of midnight.

Posted by: txrancher ( )
Date: January 25, 2023 05:49PM

MessyGoop--I think we served in the same mission, around the same time. I went home the month it changed to a flat cost for all families (you mentioned in an earlier post that you were there for it.)

If your mission president was "White," he was the biggest a$$ I ever met.

By the way, I used to call Odessa "Odessalation" but I liked Midland OK.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: January 26, 2023 11:46AM

txrancher Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> MessyGoop--I think we served in the same mission,
> around the same time. I went home the month it
> changed to a flat cost for all families (you
> mentioned in an earlier post that you were there
> for it.)
>
> If your mission president was "White," he was the
> biggest a$$ I ever met.
>
> By the way, I used to call Odessa "Odessalation"
> but I liked Midland OK.

I served with Frost and was south of San Antonio.

Odessa is nicer than Beeville :)

I travel all around the Lone Star state.

Posted by: txrancher ( )
Date: January 26, 2023 03:59PM

OK--nope, different missions. Had to ask, though!

Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: January 11, 2023 11:16AM

About 10 years after my mission, I decided to rewrite my journal. I was still very much a believer at the time, but I wanted my account to be honest (and readable). I ended up with over 100 printed pages. Only a few people ever read it, but I felt that it was worth my time and effort. Ten years seemed like the perfect interval-I could still remember things, but there was enough of a separation to get some perspective and honesty. I’m sure my MP wouldn’t have liked how he was remembered, nor would a couple of my companions, but I stand by what I wrote.

I’m glad I still have that journal. I have mixed feelings (at best) about my mission, but I see benefit in looking at that journal once every few years.

Date: January 11, 2023 12:03PM

The entire week could be summarized like this:

1) It's hot again in Texas

2) My companion isn't talking to me

3) Nobody wants to hear anything about Mormons

4) We came back to the apartment to change sweat drenched clothing for the third time.

5) The dickhead mission president says we're not obedient enough and need to repent in order to baptize converts.

6) I'm tired of eating top ramen noodles because I don't have enough money to make it thru the month.

Date: January 11, 2023 12:09PM

Posted by: Silence is Golden ( )
Date: January 25, 2023 06:09PM

When the monthly check from the parents showed up, we all went shopping for food after we paid the rent and such. So you had to be careful what you bought.

In one area we had 6 of us, the other 4 rented out of the same building. So every month they bought a 50 Pound Bag of popcorn. They ate everything the first half of the month except the popcorn, the second half they relied upon member dinner invites and the popcorn.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: January 11, 2023 12:08PM

I reread my journal after 30 years, and 20-some years out of Mormonism. It was boring, mundane, and kind of depressing. I tossed it, along with all my Mormon books. both in English and Portuguese. I kept a few Brazilian magazines and novels. The magazines have since been tossed. I can find magazine articles online.

If I ever need to look up something in the BoM or a similar book, those are all online. The journal was unique, but still, I was happy to be rid of it. I still remember all the areas I served in, but I have forgotten most of my companions' names. I'm OK with that. Sic transit gloria.

Posted by: Phantom Shadow ( )
Date: January 11, 2023 07:56PM

Halfway through my mission I tore up and tossed out my journal, that heavy book some kind person gave me as a missonary gift. My memory is that I thought I was depressed, but I think I was angry. A couple of months later I bought a nice leather bound notebook and started again. I tossed that one out when I wanted to leave the church, but the cost of leaving might have been too great. Later my sister gave me all the letters I had given her--except the one my mother read and claimed it was because she found it and the dog had chewed it up.

What a revelation. I realize now the dog had died before I wrote that letter! I was sure Mom read them. I told my sister the truth. Anyway, as an exmo I took those letters and reconstructed my mission. I should probably toss it. My parents are long dead. No one will care.

I got hell for that letter when I got home. My mother nursed her anger for a year. I told her she had no idea what I'd been through. I doubt she forgave me.

Thanks. This has been cathartic.

Posted by: laperla not logged in ( )
Date: January 11, 2023 08:19PM

That's what we're here for.

Posted by: Mormonenonpiu ( )
Date: January 26, 2023 01:17PM

After 46 years I finally read the letters people had sent me and those I had sent my parents. I had not had any interest in reading them, but after reading the post on here (rfm) about the retention issues of the Mormon church vs the JW and SDA churches I experienced some emotional feedback so I got them out and read them. The sameness of the letters was depressing. I could have created a form letter with a few blanks to insert a few names here and there and perhaps a space for a sentence at the end. All of the “the time is passing too fast”,”I wish I were more worthy”,”tell my brothers,cousins,friends to read the scriptures, learn to play the piano, prepare”,”I am so grateful that I was born of goodly parents in the true church and not into the darkness of these (poor) Catholics”,etc… And always,about the many golden contacts we were finding and the imminent baptisms (that for the most part never happened - obviously because I was not worthy enough). Pathetic. I was in Italy, incredible history,architecture,culture,etc…, and these were my inane ramblings.

Posted by: Notmonotloggedin ( )
Date: January 26, 2023 06:51PM

Date: January 28, 2023 01:58PM

Molto bene! Io Milano anche 75-77.

Posted by: kentish ( )
Date: January 26, 2023 01:49PM

Italy is my favorite country to visit. I hope you made the most of all it had to offer. It was always surprising how naive missionaries were when I was around them in England, and also how ignorant they were of the culture and social norms of the country they hoped to impact. I always thought they should have been allowed at least a couple of months to absorb their surrounding before even attempting to proselytize.

Date: January 28, 2023 02:12PM

I agree, On all counts. Italy is beautiful, with amazing scenery, architecture, people, history and culture. Halfway through my mission the hardcore mission president was reassigned and the new mission president was a retired music professor from BYU. When I asked permission to go to the Scala he told me that it would be foolish not to take advantage of the opportunity (as opposed to the previous regime telling me, after taking my companion to the ER after I awakened in the morning to find him drenched in blood, that unless we were throwing up on every doorstep we should be out tracting). Also, yes, missionaries should spend time learning about the people, culture and country in addition to learning the language and having the church propaganda crammed into their brains.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.