Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: summer ( )
Date: January 14, 2023 09:56AM

According to a recent post on r/exmo, the Mormon church is rolling out a new, worldwide initiative to "find" (harass) so-called lost members. This initiative will be active as of February 1st, 2023, and focuses on using Elder's Quorum and Relief Society presidencies to direct the harassment efforts.

This initiative was piloted in various Bountiful, Utah stakes, and the worldwide rollout has been authorized by the 1st Presidency. In Utah, the letter announcing this was distributed to Stake Presidents this past December. The main focus will be on converts who joined the church within the past ten years, and are in the "Address Unknown" file at church headquarters.

Suggested means of harassment include using phone, email, social media, contacting known family members and friends, and also contacting the occupant of the last known address.

If you have not yet resigned from the church, right now might be a really great time to do so.

https://old.reddit.com/r/exmormon/comments/10b7aea/now_is_the_time_to_remove_your_records_from_the/

Here's the link to the 14 minute video of the training presentation:

https://media2.ldscdn.org/assets/area-training/msr-training/2022-12-0010-finding-lost-members-training-utah-area-1080p-eng.mp4?lang=undefined

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/14/2023 10:04AM by summer.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: January 14, 2023 10:25AM

This isn't about reclaiming "lost sheep."

It's about preventing those who are currently in the flock from straying.

Posted by: blindguy ( )
Date: January 17, 2023 01:55PM

"You can check out any time you like
But you can never leave."
--"Hotel California," by The Eagles, 1976

As Dave the Atheist might say, that's the ticket!

Posted by: PHIL ( )
Date: January 14, 2023 10:47AM

Out here in the greater Tuscaloosa metropolitan area, pretty much those that don't come to church are for the most part are ignored and after a while aren't even ministered to. We've had a number of people who died years ago and nobody knew.
I can't believe it's much different anywhere else. Maybe Utah is different but not around here.
An "official" church program may do some good if there are brownie and status points to be had.

Date: January 14, 2023 10:49AM

The program does seem to be contingent on the ward-level presidencies being willing to do the work. The church stated that it is more effective if the presidencies are in charge of the efforts. However, they may choose not to do that, or to hand it off to the missionaries.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: January 14, 2023 11:05AM

>>..."ministered to"...

That phrase always gives me a chuckle.

It strikes me as Mormons using Christian talk for tracking people. It's interesting how readily the members will use designated words whenever the church wants to tweak their image.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: January 14, 2023 10:48AM

From our exMormon home page:

https://www.exmormon.org/remove.htm

Date: January 14, 2023 11:08AM

Oh boy! I can hardly wait. It's bad enough when there's a conference talk about finding people who left.

This is one reason I like RfM. It's nice to know what shenanigans the Mormons are up to so we know what to expect.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: January 14, 2023 11:44AM

dagny-

Did U get some recognition or award for using ‘shenanigans’ ?

congrats !!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/14/2023 11:45AM by GNPE.

Date: January 14, 2023 11:48AM

Yes, it's one of my favorite words along with scammy. Lucky for me they both apply to Mormonism a lot!

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: January 14, 2023 12:09PM

Sounds like a bunch of malarky to me. ;)

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: January 14, 2023 12:42PM

Tough to pick a winner in this competition!

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: January 14, 2023 12:42PM

There is no such thing as a "lost member". People are free to seek out their local ward if they wish.

Date: January 14, 2023 01:01PM

The only Free Agency they would allow is the freedom to follow their rules.  

I am imagining some poor schlub member ID'ing a member who became inactive 11 years ago, who then gets reamed out by his or her 'boss' for failing to follow the 10-year metric...

Date: January 14, 2023 01:05PM

But Dave, how would the non-attending member know they they are missed (even if they've never met anyone in that ward,) and are very welcome to attend? /s

Posted by: Eric K ( )
Date: January 14, 2023 02:44PM

Sigh. I did this decades ago when I was an Elders Quorum President. It only facilitated getting people to resign from the corporation because they did not want to be bothered yet again by church people. Some were angry at being found and screamed at us. Not one person returned to the church. It will be a great frustration to those members who try to implement this program.

Date: January 14, 2023 02:58PM

You might be right about that but the hope is that maybe someone might just need a little nudge and a friendly invite. Could be one or two in those couple hundred missing in action in the Tuscaloosa third ward.

Date: January 14, 2023 03:05PM

Oh, Phil, no. Just no. It's harassment. It's stalking. Leave people alone. If they wanted to attend, there is this thing called the Internet. They could find their local ward quite easily.

But Eric K is right. This may push more people to resign.

Date: January 14, 2023 10:16PM

Resistance is futile.
Oh come on now! What do you take me for? If any one tells me to go away I go away. These are members who haven't been contacted for years and someone needs to stop by and at least let them know that at least somebody from Church gives a damn whether they live or die.

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: January 15, 2023 12:43AM

PHIL Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> someone needs to stop by and at least let them
> know that at least somebody from Church gives a
> damn whether they live or die.

But do they though?

In my experience in Mormondom, not.

Date: January 15, 2023 01:22AM

Maybe one reason they left is because they didn't like being a pew filler, dollar sign or toilet cleaner (aka the church's version of giving a damn).

Looking back, I can't think of one home teacher, visiting teacher (insert ministering titles here) or bishop who gave a damn once they moved or got a different church job.

Not that it matters if someone gives a damn if the doctrine is BS. If someone actually believed it was true, all the caring or ignoring in the world wouldn't keep them away. Would they be so shallow to dump their testimony of the Mormon afterlife because someone wasn't nice enough? Maybe so, and the touchy folks are their targets over those who care about facts.

Posted by: L.A. Exmo ( )
Date: January 15, 2023 02:02AM

"If someone actually believed it was true, all the caring or ignoring in the world wouldn't keep them away."

I disagree with that statement. Even if the church could be proven 100% true, with the Three Nephites as the First Presidency and a blinding white beam of light shining 24/7 from Kolob onto the Salt Lake temple, I still wouldn't go back.

I would never want to spend my eternity in a celestial kingdom populated by insufferably smug self-righteous resurrected polygamous mormons.

Or suppose someone's mormon dad is a hyper-controlling patriarchal asshat, and mormon mom is a manipulative narcissistic virago*, I sure wouldn't want to sit at their celestial table and endure their company to the end, since by definition there wouldn't be an end.

*(arguably worse than a termagant)

No. The church has nothing I want in this life or the next, if there is one. If that's being shallow, I can live with it.

Date: January 15, 2023 11:03AM

I really do understand.

However, if I actually believed God and Jebus directly ran the church and (cough cough) ~loved~ me, I don't think I would give up my place playing harps with Jebus in an afterlife over eternal death just because I didn't like a bunch of people. Maybe after a million years with them in heaven I would wish I had been snuffed out for not accepting Jesus. One man's heaven is another man's hell, after all.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: January 15, 2023 01:44AM

PHIL Wrote:
> . . . someone needs to stop by and at least let them
> know that at least somebody from Church gives a
> damn whether they live or die.

That's not at all what is happening. If someone cared, someone would have visited without being instructed to do so. But in this instance the church orders a nameless person to visit another nameless person.

A church-wide campaign is designed to increase the overall numbers not to save or help any particular individual. The people are interchangeable. Even your post substantiates that observation, for you accurately characterize the new policy as an attempt to show that "the church gives a damn."

But institutions don't "give a damn;" institutions don't have emotions. What this shows is that no one in the church cares for the ex-Mormons--and we already knew that.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: January 15, 2023 06:43AM

"These are members who haven't been contacted for years and someone needs to stop by and at least let them know that at least somebody from Church gives a damn whether they live or die."

Do you think they care whether you live or die? Death is a reward for them. You'd think they were Klingons.

Posted by: Hedning ( )
Date: January 14, 2023 10:00PM

Many years ago when they rolled out a similar program to work with the missionaries, I got volunteered to go out with the missionaries. This was when we were living in the Philadelphia metro area. The lost sheep did not want to be found was my experience, and I was fine with that. In the training the we were told that if rejected by the member we should knock some doors in the neighborhood. After our first reject/member I turned around and knocked on a neighbors door in an apartment complex, I guess a reflex action from two years knocking doors on my mission. The missionaries just about died from panic. Apparently you don't just knock on anybody's door in North East Philadelphia.

Posted by: anonynon ( )
Date: January 14, 2023 08:38PM

Not all who are missing are lost, and targeting people with corporate style skiptracing isn't going to yield a return of warm-bodied, former tithe payers.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: January 14, 2023 10:48PM

but BPs & SPs will like better attendance percentages if this results

thinning the herd / clearing non-active 'deadwood'

Date: January 15, 2023 05:50AM

Come back, lost sheep. Why are you running away?

Date: January 15, 2023 01:59AM

I watched the video.

There is no discussion of asking the ex-Mormon what concerns s/he has about the church. It is about moving files from one church category to another. There is literally nothing about the ex-Mormon as a person or about her concerns.

This will not activate anyone.

Posted by: [|] ( )
Date: January 15, 2023 02:58AM

I agree. It is about trying to move records of "missing" members from the central church file to local wards if possible. I suppose the Big 15 hope that some people will return as a result, but this isn't really designed to reactivate people.

However, the problem for these missing members will come if they are located and their records are transferred to their local ward. Then they will be subjected to reactivation efforts by the local members and missionaries.

My final impression is that Ms. Roskelley did not look very enthusiastic about it.

Date: January 15, 2023 03:10AM

Did you notice the three drones' bureaucratic titles? I couldn't even write them down they were so long and convoluted, but they were somewhere between Franz Kafka and Joseph Heller.

You are right this reactivation effort could prove burdensome for ex-Mormons in particular localities. But putting that aside, I can't see what this program will do other than confirming the conviction of many former members that they want nothing to do with the church.

It's efforts like this that drive the wedge deeper.

Date: January 15, 2023 03:55AM

I believe the first guy was an area seventy. I don't recall the others titles - I didn't pay that much attention.

I don't think this is going to have big returns for TSCC except maybe reducing the senior missionaries workload temporarily - until all of those records go back to SLC because the locals couldn't/didn't bother to find the people.

Date: January 15, 2023 04:39AM

You'll enjoy this.

The first guy is Jeffery Anderson. I did a quick search and he does not appear to be a general authority. His job title is

"Director of Membership and Statistical Records, a Division within the Finance and Records Department of the church."

The second man is Greg Page, "Senior Manager of Membership Application Products."

The woman is Brittany Roskaly (sp?), "Senior Manager of Membership Reporting and Analytics."

So I ask you, where would you hope to find greater commitment to, and skill in, pastoral care than in these spiritual giants? And didn't Jesus assign "Membership Application Products" to Peter himself?

Clearly the Q15 have committed all their spiritual resources to this inspired program.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/15/2023 04:48AM by Lot's Wife.

Date: January 15, 2023 03:07AM

It sounds like they are trying to move work from their army of senior missionaries back to local people.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: January 15, 2023 06:10AM

It’s just another program. The church got program happy in the 1980’s and it hasn’t stopped. They come and go and frankly I never saw anything all that productive come from any of them but the sheeple all seem to get excited whenever the ivory tower throws another program their way.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: January 15, 2023 06:05AM

The video reminds me of something a bunch of government bureaucrats would put together just to do something to make it look like they are being productive. But that’s what the church has become. Programs ran by committees. It’s as cozy and spiritual as a big cold machine. Find the lost carbon units cyborgs.

Posted by: anonynon ( )
Date: January 15, 2023 03:21PM

It has a real mockumentary vibe to it. Like Parks & Recreation, with Britney Roskely playing the part of April Ludwig.

Date: January 15, 2023 07:19AM

Outside of Mormonia it's a daunting task to keep up with all the transplants moving in and out plus all the drop outs from covid.
I've known leaders who in the past who really cared and tried to make contact with all the lost members to see if they wanted any contact.
One thing they didn't do is tell them to resign. We did get a few more people attending but we did get the ward list sorted out.
Off course that was without some big mandate from SLC. Well see if this works or not.

Date: January 15, 2023 03:01PM

So it's like maintaining a list of dogs with a taste for the same vomit.

Posted by: blackcoatsdaughter ( )
Date: January 15, 2023 08:22AM

Well, this will be a nuisance. I do hate visitors as it is. Maybe if I talk about my lovely girlfriend and the saucy romance stories I'm writing, they'll kinda get the hint that I don't need the church in my life and I'm not interested in coming back.

I'm no longer mad enough to challenge or attempt to destroy other people's testimonies. However, I can definitely see this happening with others who have a bad taste in their mouth from the church and just wish to be left alone. Especially if these ministering agents get particularly pester-y about their outreach. They'll only get polite declines at first, most likely. Then they'll get inactives and exmos confronting them with stuff they're probably not ready to hear just to get them to leave. I think, as others have said, this is less about reactivating members and more about strengthening current members. And I think this will go horribly wrong if that is their goal.

A few years ago, the main presidency suggested that members abandon social media or an over preoccupation with it, to limit their time online. And I thought that was clever of them. This is not clever, if their goal is to keep their current members. A lot of people will get exposed to "Do you know why I left the cult??" and "You wanna know why I'll never go back?"

Posted by: Twinker ( )
Date: January 15, 2023 08:53AM

No wonder the FBI and the CIA have a reputation for hiring Mormons - all that free training to be used to their advantage.

Posted by: cl2notloggedin ( )
Date: January 15, 2023 12:49PM

you, they will. I resigned quite a few years ago. I get bugged by my neighbors. I have done nice things for their six kids and so they feel the need to save me. When my son was in the hospital last spring for meningitis, the wife (the husband is in the bishopric now) told me that I could come and sit by them in church and find some peace. HUH? I told her thank you for asking. I decided not to be rude. It just so happened I had been at my dad's farm (and on back through a few generations) that we had to sell to take care of our 2 disabled brothers. But the guy we sold it to my dad had mentored in FFA as his father was an alcoholic. (His son was killed in a car wreck in New Mexico as a missionary 18 months ago or so). We can visit the farm any time.

So my aunt took me there. I felt the peace there. My dad loved that farm. He couldn't sell it before he died. I felt them all there. I hated the farm and now I love it.

So I told her I found peace at my dad's farm.

Last thing I need is to go be a single in the church again. Sit with the next door neighbor's family. I wouldn't go anyway. I haven't even been able to force myself to go to 2 funerals in the past few years. Two older women from this ward that I was close to and then a friend from high school died a year ago and I just watched it on zoom. I used to go to the funerals. I can't anymore.

They'll be bugging me. I don't think my daughter will dare. She'll be leaving in 2 weeks anyway as her husband has to train bus drivers for Alaska in St. George and then they'll be headed to Alaska end of March, so there won't be the pressure on her either.

Glad I read on here today so I could be aware of what is to come. I've been inactive for 30 years. You'd think they'd catch on. Inactive/resigned.

Posted by: tamboruco ( )
Date: January 15, 2023 02:12PM

Just watched the very robotic video presentation. Frankly, this is just a re-packaged initiative with some newer internet support tools. They continue to use a very typical sales tactic which is to find support for the brand from the customer base. If you are still on the membership records you are considered part of the customer base. ChurchCo is trying to find the most effective way to find you and get you interested in the brand - plain and simple.

Over the holidays, a friend of mine tried to engage me and I told him I resigned in 2018. He's been pretty quiet since and now knows why I don't appear on the ward records. On multiple forums I see folks whining about being contacted by ChurchCo and I get it, some are in very difficult circumstances but if you don't want contact submit your resignation. I have had absolutely ZERO contact from ChurchCo since I resigned and I live in the moridor in the area where they did the study for this program. This 'new' program is a different color of lipstick on the pig - nothing more.

Posted by: want2bx ( )
Date: January 15, 2023 02:53PM

Even if church members don't participate in this initiative, it perpetuates the false notion that most Mormons have that those who left the church did so because they were offended, sinned, etc. It creates an assumption within the membership that the "lost sheep" actually want to be found.

I live in a Utah neighborhood that's probably 98% active Mormon. Many of my Mormon neighbors won't even return a wave when I wave "hello." That's been my experience in most of the heavily LDS areas that I've lived in for the past 30 years.

Mormons like to believe that as a people they're a welcoming, friendly group. Some are very friendly, but I believe it's the minority. So the church is really asking a lot of its members when it creates programs like this.

Posted by: schrodingerscat ( )
Date: January 15, 2023 03:25PM

Oh good, just what we need is Mormon do-gooders hunting us down and rounding us up to go pay 10% of our income to an abusive CULT that already has billions in the bank for a rainy day slush fund, for the privilege of scrubbing toilets and singing the praises of a serial rapist.

Posted by: moehoward ( )
Date: January 15, 2023 03:36PM

I look forward to the call

Posted by: kid_twist ( )
Date: January 16, 2023 06:30AM

Any church member who tithes should get a stock certificate every month. They are invested in the church financially.

Date: January 16, 2023 11:57AM

Good idea. They should make it a regular ESOP (Employee Stock Ownership Program) company and drop the religion side gig.

Unfortunately though...
The church knows they have better ways to get people invested without having to cut them a share. Plus, they get tax breaks for keeping the profits away from the employees!

Posted by: TX_Rancher ( )
Date: January 17, 2023 01:09PM

I've been out about seven or eight years. A couple years before that, I was in the bishopric as first counselor.

One Wednesday evening, it was discussed that we'd go visit some inactive members. I asked if we had an appointment or called ahead, the answer was "No." I refused to go. They probably didn't want us coming and that's a dirty trick--I wouldn't have appreciated it and I was a member.

Date: January 17, 2023 01:38PM

That was one of the things I hated most: unannounced visits.

I knew at the end of the month, the home teachers or visiting teachers would just show up. It was often NOT a good time.

It was usually done as a sense of obligation or snooping about "how they are doing."

I cringe now because I did it myself. I'd drop off cookies unannounced if I was getting pressure to get my visiting teaching done. I was probably obnoxious making sure they received the message of the month, too.

Posted by: Gordon B. Stinky ( )
Date: January 17, 2023 03:26PM

Showing up unexpectedly at someone's door is an anachronism that should have died in the 20th century. With the wide-spread adoption of the telephone, there's no acceptable reason to just show up at someone's door. (Perhaps in the case of an emergency.)

To show up with an agenda or ulterior motive is even worse.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/17/2023 03:40PM by Gordon B. Stinky.

Date: January 17, 2023 03:53PM

Man, this brings back some chaotic memories...

In November of 1992, my second family and I moved into a new (to us) home that, unbeknownst to me at the time, was half a block from the bishop's house. I had started a second family and had a seven-year-old and a three-year-old...

At that point, I'd gone about 18 years without being in touch with the church.

About a week later, the bishop and his young family showed up at the door with cookies and smiles.  Among their fecund tribe were a seven-year-old and a three-year-old, which was nice because now my shy seven-year-old had a connection at school.

I doubt that whatever records system the church had back then was capable of having alerted them so quickly that I was a member of record.  I think it was just that he and his TBM wife were both RMs and were trying to live up to the 'every member a missionary' bromide.  Certainly, they were good people.

I don't recall our conversation at the door...  But with matching-aged kids just half a block away, it was natural that the kids became at least friendly. The bishop and I had many opportunities to converse, including a couple of golf games, one of which was with a couple of P-day missionaries, during which I made a long putt for a birdie and announced that maybe there really was a ghawd...

It was my experience that telling mormons intent on getting me back into activity that I was TBAtheist made it easier for them to be friendly, on the basis of them not being singled out as being full of shizz.  I've yet to flesh this out; I really do think that rejecting ghawd allows them to be proud that I'm not rejecting mormonism, per se.  They probably are relieved that they don't have to defend all the raunchy soft spots of the church.

When my older boy was cub scout age, he wanted to participate with his mormon school friends in scouting, which was fine by me, and resulted in me being called by our neighbor bishop to be the Pack Master.  When I was asked to accept this 'calling,' I mentioned my atheistic leanings, and the bishop told me that he'd checked, and as long as I was a member, was living the WoW, and not committing adultery, being the Pack Master was okay since it didn't involve teaching the gospel.

Oh, wow, another memory just surged forward!  I invented a game for our monthly pack meetings...!!  I had a (maybe) three-foot square movers' dolly with a fully articulating wheel at each corner.

(https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwaukee-800-lb-Capacity-Furniture-Dolly-33815/202721481?source=shoppingads&locale=en-US&&mtc=SHOPPING-RM-RMP-GGL-D28I-028_032_PORTABLE-MB-MILWAUKEE-NA-SMART-NA-NA-MK492413300-NA-BT3-4051-NA-NA-NA&cm_mmc=SHOPPING-RM-RMP-GGL-D28I-028_032_PORTABLE-MB-MILWAUKEE-NA-SMART-NA-NA-MK492413300-NA-BT3-4051-NA-NA-NA-71700000085611950-58700007282788739-92700074694288766&gclid=Cj0KCQiAq5meBhCyARIsAJrtdr5tiEyd0V7U4Em964qVBXvR8DHI0x_d1hYPQROXbpj-eN6iGU0jYgYaAueYEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds)

I tied a fairly thick rope at the middle of the front and rear and made rope handles on the sides a rider could use to hold on.  The boys were divided into three-man teams, and I laid out a course around the edge of the cultural hall, and all the parents scrunched into the middle.

The object of the game was to see which team could complete three circuits of the course the quickest.  The hitch to this was that each team member had to switch positions after each circuit so that each team member was front-puller, rider, and rear-controller.

The boys loved that game, and I know I wasn't the only dad in the room who wanted a go at it.

When asked how I came up with the game, I naturally responded that I was inspired by not having the Holy Ghost throttling my motor.

It was weird that I, an avowed atheist, had a church calling and a key to the chapel...  But all I had to do was preside, and I never called on myself to give the opening or closing prayer.

We fed the missionaries for a while, but then I think they were told to stay away, but I don't know that for sure.  There was certainly no 'rules' problem since there were non-mormon family members present.

My then-wife, who'd never encountered mormonism prior to our move there, often mentioned how discourteous she thought it was to have church people on church business, showing up any time they pleased with NEVER any notice.

She'd call me if she answered the door and then turn and leave.  If asked where she'd gone because they wanted to include her in the conversation, I'd tell them that not having grown up mormon, she wasn't accustomed to the rudeness of showing up uninvited and expecting a joyous welcome.  I'd play it off as funny; sometimes, they'd get it and feel guilty, but most of the time, you could see them unable to process her point of view.  It's a fact of life for mormons that church business doesn't require adherence to the rules of propriety.

Things simmered down when that original bishop was released, and we were pretty much left alone. We moved from that home 18 years after moving in, with one boy working on a Master's Degree and the other in his third year in college, both long gone from living with us.  They still had mormon friends, but I'm reasonably sure that those high school friendships have not weathered the test of time, with the boys now being 37 and 33.  (Holy shizz!!!)

Just before we moved, the ward clerk showed up. By this time, I didn't even know who the bishop was.  The purpose of his visit was to offer me the opportunity to resign from the church.  I told him that although I felt sorry the bishop had a sucky attendance percentage, I would never resign because if I did when I died, my one TBM child would have me dead-dunked a year later and then stand up in F&TM and tearfully share the joyous news...  No way was I giving her that opportunity.

We chatted some more, and then he said that I was probably the nicest Hard-core Inactive he'd ever met and then went on to tell me that _____ _. _______, IV (The three blanks ID a famous early apostle) was inactive and lived in the ward, and he, the ward clerk, had felt the evilness emanating from that house!  

Whenever I think of this, I can't help but wonder what that "famous name" guy's story is regarding mormonism, not to mention the ward clerk's superstitions!  Although I know that 'evil' does exist, why would 'evil' retire to live in a small suburban bedroom community?

The last home teacher we had lived across the street and down the block.  He came over once to introduce himself.  I let him know that he could wave to me and count that as a visit.  The only other time he came over was to do a survey for the bishop.  It was basically a survey to cover where we stood, survivorship-wise, if there was a breakdown of civilization.  Weird, huh?  The survey included information regarding firearms/ammunition.  

I mentioned this once before here and got an outraged response stating that no way had what I recounted ever happened.  That was as shocking as anything I'd heard a TBM say or do...  I had no problem figuring out that some bishops are weird and take that 'father of the ward' business to great heights.

Since moving from that city 11 years ago, I have had zero contact with the church, other than the BYU-affiliated contacts that any college graduate can expect.  Obviously, they have my address (I get the quarterly BYU Alumni magazine in the mail), so I don't really know what's going on.  Maybe the SCMC put the word out?  I'm not complaining...  

(that was fun for me!  Thank you, RfM!!)

Date: January 17, 2023 04:40PM

Wow! Longest-ever EOD post (that I've seen anyway).

Very interesting.

You're a good writer.

I hope you do it some more.

Thanks for the tour through your Mormony contacts. Fun to read!

Date: January 17, 2023 04:44PM

*See below

Date: January 17, 2023 04:43PM

For a moment there I thought I was in a Nightingale post.

I'd love you to tell me who the apostle was, but then you'd need to kill me and you'd cease to exist.

Date: January 17, 2023 04:54PM

Too bad you don't have my email address (I'd never give it to a married woman...the shame!!)

Since the "evil guy" is a real person and could be Googled, I cannot in good conscience dox him...although a count of the letter spaces would probably serve to be sufficient, if one had a lazy afternoon to work on it.

Date: January 17, 2023 04:58PM

As a confirmed Luddite and monogamist, I do not have an email address.

I would order one from whosyourdaddy.com to communicate with Nightingale were she interested, but otherwise it's smoke signals for you, buddy.

Date: January 17, 2023 06:09PM

Lot's Wife Wrote:
> For a moment there I thought I was in a
> Nightingale post.

Because it's long?

Or because it's fabulously entertaining?

LOL

Date: January 17, 2023 06:10PM

Because it's long, fabulously entertaining, and devoid of significant scammatology.

Date: January 17, 2023 06:21PM

{{Blush}} :)

On another note, thank you for saying 'Luddite'. I looked it up just for fun, although I already knew its meaning. Its history not so much. I found this most incredibly interesting article about modern day Luddites:

https://theconversation.com/im-a-luddite-you-should-be-one-too-163172

I also learned a new word: oligopoly

It's so much fun to say. I'm going to try it after my next two glasses of Bristol Cream sherry. :)

As for email: any time you get an addy, you're most welcome to say howdy.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/17/2023 06:23PM by Nightingale.

Date: January 17, 2023 06:36PM

>>scammatology

LOL!
Did you happen to find my dictionary?

Date: January 17, 2023 06:40PM

Oh, you have no idea.

I will be flexing my scamiferous vocabulary from now until I cease to exist due to events beyond my control.

Date: January 17, 2023 05:55PM

Those are some wonderful stories, EOD. I like how you were able to peacefully coexist with the local ward.

After years of earnest efforts, my undergraduate institution finally understood that barring a fantastic marriage, I would never be a donor. For many years I enjoyed talking to the undergraduates who were being paid to hit up the alumnae for funds. I asked them about their majors and their hobbies. We discussed local snow conditions. We talked about everything except me donating. Finally it got through to one of them that I am a single school teacher, and that my students get almost all of my available charitable funds. I told that caller that it would be far more productive to hit up one of the school's numerous rich alumnae. Hint finally taken. lol

Date: January 17, 2023 06:42PM

What a hoot, elderolddog! Such an RfM trove of goodies there.

I'll bet they were so frustrated and confused that you were the life of the neighborhood!

Date: January 17, 2023 01:12PM

Where's HonestTB[long]?

S/he should be able to put this news in its proper context.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: January 17, 2023 03:37PM

Here I is! But I ain't lost!

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: January 17, 2023 03:38PM

I want them to read the First Presidency Message on the CES Letter.

I hope that they come to bring me tickets to the BoM musical.

And then I am going to demand that they assign me my monthly home-teachers, not lying ministers who never come to visit me, but home-teachers who have to show up and read from the best church magazine, The Ensign, not some crap called Liahona.

We will have many discussions why President Hinckley will always be my one and only living or dead prophet. -He's not much to look at but he's all the lord has to offer.

[I don't think they are going to visit me and I haven't moved since I was placed on the DO NOT CONTACT LIST]

Date: January 17, 2023 03:43PM

> . . . President
> Hinckley will always be my one and only living or
> dead prophet. -He's not much to look at but he's
> all the lord has to offer.

Love it.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.