Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: BoydKKK ( )
Date: January 23, 2023 01:49PM

“Let us consider the great mercy of God for a moment. A Chinese, born in China with A DARK SKIN, and with all the handicaps of that race seems to have little opportunity. But think of the mercy of God to Chinese people who are willing to accept the gospel. IN SPITE OF WHATEVER THEY MIGHT HAVE DONE IN THE PRE-EXISTENCE TO JUSTIFY BEING BORN OVER THERE AS CHINAMEN, if they now, in this life, accept the gospel and live it the rest of their lives they can have the Priesthood, go to the temple and receive endowments and sealings, and that means they can have exaltation. Isn't the mercy of God marvelous?
--------------------------

If they can get to the top level of Celestial Glory - WHY punish them in the first place?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/23/2023 02:08PM by maude.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: January 23, 2023 02:22PM

BoydKKK Wrote:
-----------------------
>
> If they can get to the
> top level of Celestial
> Glory - WHY punish them
> in the first place?
>

Jim Jeffrey’ answer: “Because ghawd is a (moderator edit)!!”*

*not intended as an editorial comment.

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: January 23, 2023 03:21PM

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: January 23, 2023 03:36PM

Chinamen?

Dog-whistle racist and sexist. An impressive double play. Btw, there is a simple word for that - Chinese. I suppose you were attempting to mock what a 90 year old GA might sound like. Btw two, Mr Diety lets everybody in these days. His racism standards have gone completely to hell, so to speak.

Posted by: anonyXmo ( )
Date: January 23, 2023 09:41PM

Brother Of Jerry Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Chinamen?
>
> Dog-whistle racist and sexist. An impressive
> double play. Btw, there is a simple word for that
> - Chinese. I suppose you were attempting to mock
> what a 90 year old GA might sound like.

Person of China

Posted by: BoydKKK ( )
Date: January 23, 2023 09:06PM

Why the "correction"?
No need for it.
The term has been used by GA's and that is where it is from - so no need to change it.

A lot like quoting someone and PC now censors the quote. Our minor version of the Taliban destroying centuries old Cliff carvings because they find them offensive because of their belief.

Worse yet is writing about past Official Government programs and having the names censored - because the term is not "acceptable" now. You can't even quote history accurately.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: January 23, 2023 09:15PM

> Our minor version of the Taliban destroying
> centuries old Cliff carvings because they find
> them offensive because of their belief.

Sure. That's just what it's like.

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: January 23, 2023 09:42PM

I notice you started with a quotation mark but didn't close it. I have to assume the entire blurb was a quote but then you didn't give the reference. Could be tough for a reader to know who said it or where or when.

Plus, it is likely better to keep the offensive term out of the sub line.

I'd say you're lucky that your post lived to see another day.

Sure, they (whoever they may be) have used words in the past (or present) that are now seen to be the offence that they are. We can discuss it but we don't have to perpetuate it.

A good start would be to differentiate between one's own words and quoting the words of others.

Posted by: [|] ( )
Date: January 23, 2023 10:10PM

The original is from a speech by apostle Mark E. Petersen at BYU in 1954, but it uses the word "Chinese"

see page 8 beginning at bottom of left hand column:
https://static1.1.sqspcdn.com/static/f/773614/11417517/1301195240263/Mark%20_E_Petersen_Race_Problems_as_They_Affect_the_Church.pdf

(Also see page 10 for the famous quote by Petersen about "letting every Negro drive a Cadillac")

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: January 23, 2023 10:29PM

Yes, really, you can't yell about it being a quote if you don't provide it.

Posted by: blindguy ( )
Date: January 24, 2023 09:27PM

Nightingale wrote in part:

"Sure, they (whoever they may be) have used words in the past (or present) that are now seen to be the offence that they are. We can discuss it but we don't have to perpetuate it."

Words in and of themselves are not offensive; rather they are things that roll off our tongues as we move our tongues, teeth, and lips in hopes of communicating what we wish to say in a way that others will understand. Put another way, there are no such things as bad words; rather it is people and societies that determine whether and how bad words may become.

Also, bad words are not bad words forever. They may be considered bad or offensive by a generation or two, but at some point, those who wish to offend will either create new words for the job or will change the definitions of preexisting words and use these old words with new definitions as a sword of offense. So, while I don't regularly use what is considered to be offensive language or terms now, I am well aware that either before or after my departure from this world, most, if not all of these offensive words, will lose what is considered now to be their offensive nature.

Posted by: anonyXmo ( )
Date: January 23, 2023 09:40PM

since when do Chinese have 'dark skin'

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: January 24, 2023 12:38AM

They don’t have dark skin, though it is not quite Lilly-white. But they definitively have black hair, God’s least preferred natural hair color. God prefers blond.

Unnatural hair colors scare God - electric blue, Kelly green, hot pink, etc.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: January 24, 2023 01:08AM

I must be doing something right in ghawd’s eyes because he’s changing my hair color from black to sacred white!!!

Date: January 24, 2023 01:12AM

Ah yes.

But all that time hiking under the searing sun in the Los Angeles Alps has probably darkened your complexion, so on balance the curse goes unabated.

Not to worry. If you pray a little bit more and pay an extra couple of percent in tithing, you too can reign in the Celestial Kingdom with all your bits and bobs still intact!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/24/2023 01:16AM by Lot's Wife.

Date: January 24, 2023 01:09AM

The vast majority of Chinese people have until the last two or three decades worked outdoors as farmers or manual laborers. The Pudong financial district in Shanghai was rice fields until about twenty years ago.

So if one were judging from television, news photos, or even superficial tourism almost all of the images would be of deeply tanned workers who looked like the Latino workers in North American farm fields. So yeah, to anyone who didn't bother to investigate further Chinese skin looked like that of Lamanites.

I'm confident Petersen did not investigate further.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/24/2023 01:09AM by Lot's Wife.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: January 24, 2023 02:33PM

I was scratching my head about why a certain person in the news used the words "Coco Chow" to insult a certain other person. He must have been hard up for new racial slurs.

Date: January 24, 2023 02:37PM

Nothing but class, that one.

Posted by: midwestanon ( )
Date: January 24, 2023 10:36AM

Fuck considering the Lilys of the field. Let us instead consider a ‘Chinese’, born in China with a ‘DARK SKIN’.

Peterson was a piece of shit.

Posted by: botchan ( )
Date: January 24, 2023 06:43PM

Many years ago I was at a meeting where Neal A. Maxwell was asked about god’s plans for China. His response was, “We know that God loves the Chinese, because He certainly made a lot of them.” This elicited an uncomfortable laugh from the room, which seemed to annoy him because he was completely serious. He continued, “We know that God has special plans for the Chinese; we just don’t know what those plans are.”

Posted by: sd ( )
Date: January 31, 2023 04:09PM

who I believe is the author of that quote sitting in his exalted place at a meeting of the Quorum of the Twelve. In walks Gerritt Gong and sits down next to him. Mind blown.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.