Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: January 26, 2023 09:29PM

Every temple should look like the mothership has landed. It’s all about the cosmic trip to Kolob.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: January 27, 2023 10:09AM

Ironically, the Provo temple was my favorite in the times I attended. The circular hall and the unique design felt only slightly better but because it wasn't some neoclassical toga bullshit. It felt more enlightened to me. It was the only temple that I ever felt that way iay in but this wasn't during the ceremony. The only other positive was in the mural room in manti.

Posted by: Kentish ( )
Date: January 27, 2023 08:04PM

I always thought it had all the charm of a moderm bus statiom.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: January 28, 2023 04:50AM

They are going to remodel it because people think it’s ugly and don’t want to get married there. I think it’s the perfect example of cheesy late 60’s Mormon architecture. We don’t need another granite center spire temple. Those are a dime a dozen in Utah.

Date: January 30, 2023 03:37PM

Mormonism became a big box religion. Makes sense in that way.

Posted by: I ( )
Date: January 30, 2023 10:46PM

Posted by: Onanymous ( )
Date: January 31, 2023 04:22AM

Didn't they already renovate the Ogden Temple a few years ago, it was only a matter of time they got to Provo

I think with them running out of new places to build temples they'll start more of this knocking down and rebuilding of some of the older ones, especially probably those mini temples from the Hinckley era and the 2000s. They already announced a major knockdown and rebuild for the Anchorage temple in a few years

Date: January 31, 2023 01:12PM

Millions upon millions for decades and decades of sacred busyness with no benefits outside feelings of righteousness.

It is a celestial comedy.

Date: January 31, 2023 04:25PM

Maybe they could retroactively get Christo & Jeanne-Claude to wrap them.

https://christojeanneclaude.net

Christo Vladimirov Javacheff and Jeanne-Claude Denat de Guillebon, known as Christo and Jeanne-Claude, were artists noted for their large-scale, site-specific environmental installations, often large landmarks and landscape elements wrapped in fabric, including the Wrapped Reichstag, The Pont Neuf Wrapped, Running Fence in California, and The Gates in New York City's Central Park.

I met Christo at a lecture on art once. Fabulous!

Wrapping something always makes it look better. Probably feel better too. I should know. I'm a rapper too.

What's a wrapper to do. Rap Around! That'll be a wrap-

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: January 31, 2023 04:30PM

What a bunch of wrap...

Date: January 31, 2023 05:59PM

elderolddog Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What a bunch of wrap...

Crap if discussing (disgusting) 'moronism'.
(The so-called religion of moron-I)

We might say, give that crap a wrap!

Date: January 31, 2023 10:43PM

I used to pass that thing so fast [on rollerblades] it looked like it was standing still. It was... but it's still standing? For what? lol

Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: January 31, 2023 10:51PM

I always thought the Provo and Ogden temples were quite innovative for their time. A bit dated now, but at the time they were very stylish.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: February 01, 2023 02:18AM

Bell bottoms and space ships.

Heaven.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: February 01, 2023 12:26PM

I can't say that the design was beautiful, but the design was definitely unique. I went on several family vacations to Utah in the 1980s. We never stopped to visit the grounds, but I definitely saw the spaceships in Ogden and Provo.

Posted by: the original moi ( )
Date: February 06, 2023 07:49PM

Ogden and Provo temples, when they were built, were rather a shock to me. I've grown to like them over the years. The style was taken from the scriptures where it says "Led by clouds by day and a pillar of fire by night." In 2003 or so, the gold spire of the Provo temple was painted white, yuck, and they slapped a Moroni statue on top of THAT! Double yuck! Now the Provo temple is going to be bastardized to look like most of the new temples. I just hope the hell they don't go reconstructing the Cardston temple.

Posted by: rubicon ( )
Date: February 06, 2023 10:09PM

What's funny is David O' McKay specifically didn't want a statue. he thought a statue was a waste of money.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.