Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: January 27, 2023 10:43AM

Funny how the current candidate for a real revelation in over 100 years came just as what it encouraged and encodes is fast becoming an unavailable American dream.

https://www.sltrib.com/religion/2023/01/22/natalie-brown-looking-beyond-lds/

In the canon on Mormon spiritual texts this one seems a dismal failure even more than the word of wisdom making the manifesto against plural marriage their most successful revelation since Smith.

Even their revelation on race beats the proclamation in revelatory punch. The proclamation is right alongside wow in begging to be ignored.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Northern_Lights ( )
Date: January 27, 2023 12:16PM

I think this article was more about the failure of Rusty-Mormon Corp to provide a good end product than the politics of the Proclamation on the Family.

While I don't agree with or share their political outlook plenty in America do, both inside and outside of Mormonism. So the ideas of the traditional nuclear family and the idealized version of post-war American gender roles somewhat common if you look in the right place.

I came into Mormonism long after road shows, bazaars, and sports leagues were a thing of the past. Maybe that is why my memories of it are stored in the same part of my brain as jobs I have had previously. My memory almost makes it like a former employer than a spiritual experience.

The Corp demands so much and provides nothing but a stinky building that is not properly heated in the winter or cooled in the summer. They are not even the only true church on the face of the earth and more and have the Hickmeister that only say they are sustained as a Prophet.

I don't even have to look hard to find a church with cool music, activities for people of all ages, donations requests that don't require a loan, in a professional cleaned and maintained building and sermons delivered by a person who at least is a professional at it. I can even go on thinking that Jesus choose American to save the world from gays and brown people as many of them think that as well.

Date: January 27, 2023 01:31PM

I think this is a lifelong member complaining about an irrelevant document and expectation.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: January 28, 2023 05:03AM

Ha! Ha! One constant complaint I hear about LDS church buildings is that they are smelly. I guess they better start burning some incense like the Buddhists do.

Date: January 28, 2023 05:08AM

I never got the nuclear family thing. Family is family. Families have existed for a long time.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: January 27, 2023 04:52PM

they seem to now have given up regarding divorces so their focus needs / needed a new home, but they also don't like Kindness, Honesty, or the values of genuine friendships Except those in the same basket as ChurchCo...

talking about No Moral Compass, ChurchCo is #1

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/27/2023 04:56PM by GNPE.

Posted by: shoulderwheelie ( )
Date: January 27, 2023 06:43PM

My parents still (as far as I know) have a copy of that odious document hanging on their bedroom wall. It makes me sick to read it—completely invalidates my relationship and, yet, my mother refers to my spouse as her *-in law. Aghhh, the mental gymnastics she has to do!

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: January 27, 2023 09:02PM

Some of the church's wedges are stuck permanently between generations and will not shake loose.

It's tragic.

Date: January 27, 2023 10:06PM

Yes, you speak the truth L-dub. So many doctrines in Mormonism are tragic for different people, in different ways. I imagine everyone on this board will spend a lifetime trying to undo aspects of hurt that the church has provided us as a lasting legacy. Yay.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: January 27, 2023 10:46PM

The gift that keeps on giving.

Like herpes.

Date: January 28, 2023 08:06AM

It all boils down to what actually works. There is a lot of experimentation going on. Some will call it social collapse. Who has the final say is the universe. There’s always the human ego trying to change the universal order of things but usually the universe wins.

Date: January 28, 2023 08:43AM

Please enlighten me what you think the ‘universal order of things’ is when it comes to the definition of family, Rube…

Date: January 28, 2023 08:45AM

Apologies for the nickname, Rubicon. I have a tendency to shorten names all the time.

Date: January 29, 2023 05:39PM

I assume it is something along the lines of social darwinism. The universe is just the background to change and evolution.

The family is a myth. We attempt to order things and interrelatedness is just another one of them.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.