Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Changeling ( )
Date: January 27, 2023 10:51PM

Not too long ago I went through my bookshelf and gathered all of my LDS theme books, and I had in my possession quite a lot of them that covered a full spectrum of topics, these were not anti Mormon books but ones that the church would approve of, the stack of books would be taller than Shaquille O'Neal, and a few of them were written by Hugh Nibley and were addressed to me (by pen) by him in the front of the book, I saw him a couple times in his office when I was tagging along with someone else (these cats always have a gatekeeper out front to keep people out), I thought He was a ok guy if for anything for his WW2 experiences, anyway I have my own dumpster and I heaved all those books in there, I must emphasize You must heave your own stuff into the dumpster, I mean someone can of course help you get all that crap to said dumpster but you must throw it in there yourself, I must say it is quite therapeutic and I would recommend it greatly. I did keep the book "Mormon Doctrine" for entertainment purposes mostly. This technique can also be done by thinking it, it is done in some types of martial arts, the punch is thrown you step aside the punch goes by you and they are off balance, same as they throw a verbal barb at you move to a peaceful place and let it go by and not hold it, also doesn't hurt to have a couple of black belts too

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: January 30, 2023 03:19PM

Please recycle the paper. Their tree of life was cut down to make their house of cards. The pulp of that tree is more precious than the fruit.

Posted by: shortbobgirl ( )
Date: January 30, 2023 06:40PM

Does tossing my calculus book in the Mississippi count as recycling? I’m sure it’s disintegrated by now, it went in during the ‘70’s.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: January 30, 2023 06:44PM

Hah!

No loss. They've developed calculators that can do that stuff now.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: January 31, 2023 12:18PM

So calculus books created St Anthony Falls near the U of MN? I guess that was the real limit as x approached zero! I bet there are a few F Scott Fitzgerald books in the mix.

Posted by: shortbobgirl ( )
Date: January 31, 2023 07:09PM

It went in off the Washington Ave Bridge so below the falls.

Posted by: cl2notloggedin ( )
Date: January 30, 2023 04:39PM

People have said they don't want anyone else reading them, but my attitude is it keeps the writer of the book earning any more money off someone buying a new copy. Between the two of us, we made quite a bit of money. That was back in about 1996 or earlier.

Date: January 30, 2023 06:47PM

This is putting thought in motion, but in a way that will hurt no one and will help the person doing it. We, You and me are creatures of habit and things are designed that way for our safety and convenience. Muscle memory is built into our bodies, take for example a professional baseball player that is at home base and trying to hit the ball, there are all these complex movements to do but he or she will not think of them, they are in what is called muscle memory for lack of a more complex explanation, but this can be used against us after being members of the church, when I derail it by physically throwing stuff away I feel free and am rewriting my own muscle memory in a way. Like that scene in Lord of the rings when the ring is thrown into the lava or when Harry Potter broke and threw the most powerful wand into the lake. One time I asked my Father what he did with his medals from the Korean War (more that one Bronze Star and Purple Heart) and he you know what, he told me he has given them to me when I was a small child to play with, and or course I lost them, but that was him dealing with some PTSD and getting rid of stuff to move on

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: January 30, 2023 10:01PM

I recently tried selling my haul of LDS books and had no takers. No book store or even on facebook would give anything decent.

So I donated them and took the tax write off.

Date: January 31, 2023 12:32AM

Unfortunately the tax write off is gone now, has been since probably 2018 0r 2019, used to get a 500$ write off per organization per year now you have to go over some large calculated sum to write things off, oh well

Date: January 31, 2023 01:15AM

Writing off charitable contributions still exists if you are able to itemize.

You are correct that the limit you need to reach is beyond what the average tax payer will be able to meet.

Date: January 31, 2023 01:47AM

If you couldn't sell them, then they have no tax write-off value either, at least no value you could defend in an audit. Failure to sell them is proof they weren't worth what you were trying to sell them for.

Date: January 31, 2023 11:47AM

I went back to the Goodwill I donated them to and took pictures of the prices they put on the books, used that as my basis for my claim.

I know they sold as I watched a person buy a few of them and they were completely gone in a few weeks.

Date: January 31, 2023 12:19PM

Ah. Well done, grasshopper. ;)

Date: January 31, 2023 12:35PM

I threw everything Mormon out. You would have a very hard time connecting my life to the Mormon Church. About all there is are my BYU diplomas (not framed), A few secular books in Portuguese. though I have other foreign language books.

There is my missionary certificate, and my visa to Brazil. I do still have those. And that, as far as I know, is it. I do have one of the infamous BYU diplomas where they misspelled "University". That one is a keeper!

BTW, mods, there was a "banned word" in my post, and I finally gave up trying to find out what it was. The rest of my post was as innocuous as what made it past your filter.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 01/31/2023 12:47PM by Brother Of Jerry.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: January 31, 2023 09:15PM

I mean, the bottom. Just in case somebody goes poking around looking for useful or interesting stuff.

Posted by: cl2notloggedin ( )
Date: February 03, 2023 02:06PM

at the time I sold them in 1995 or 1996. I was just cleaning out ONE of my son's rooms. He is now in the behavioral health unit at what hospital we don't know. His dad took him to the ER and they told him that they would call when a bed became available last night. So they didn't call and when he asked to get the papers signed last night so they had permission to call, they said it wasn't necessary. So he is off at some hospital that we don't know.

We hope he gets the help he needs this time. He even called dispatch from his room (our son did) to tell them that a cop had threatened to kill his mom and his dogs. He always goes to the dogs to get my attention. He's really delusional.

BUT I get to clean the 2 rooms. OH MY! He makes horrible messes, BUT I found the book of mormons my aunt gave us at Christmas a few years ago, telling us that she felt she had a message from my mom that she needed to save her family for her. I highly doubt that. But I gave the BoMs to my TBM daughter as I knew my aunt was trying to be kind. Well, they were in a box in one of these bedrooms and they have now left the premises. If someone came in my house, they wouldn't think "mormon." Except the stack of journals in my closet. I debate throwing them out.

I hate to admit that we haven't read a lot of what our mother wrote, but I have a stack of letters my aunt gave me and I started reading them the other day in the midst of another mental breakdown of my son's. I'm glad my aunt saved them.

BUT my journals. I'll have to put a note on them to toss after I die as I still can't bring myself to throw them out.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.