Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: January 28, 2023 06:19PM

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: January 28, 2023 06:49PM

First of all, I got a chuckle out of this sentence:

"This story appears here courtesy of TheChurchNews.c0m. It is not for use by other media."

I guess they don't want to be quoted or responsible for their "news."

The article said:
"Also, instead of reading in the assigned book of scripture for the course of study for 75% of semester calendar days, students will be required to read selected scriptural passages each term and then create additional personalized reading goals".

That sounds like lessons in how to cherry pick and never read any scriptures in context to me. I'm guessing the students simply aren't reading the scriptures and they don't really care to. The church doesn't know how to make them do it.

"...it is a burden teachers should be glad to carry, because their personal ministries are as important as their classroom instruction..."

I agree they are setting up teachers to take the blame for less than zealous students. Many students could not care less about seminary content and have more important things to do, like watching TikToc. But, the teachers should be GLAD because ministering and teacher stuff!

Most of the article was gobbledygook.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: January 28, 2023 07:08PM

The days of good grammar has went.

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: January 28, 2023 07:23PM

I don't think I more than a handful ever finished the volume of scripture assigned each year.

No one in my class finished the old testament.

I doubt many of those that read the scriptures understood them.

By assigning given passages, it removes the stigma of not reading texts in obsolete 400 year old English.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: January 28, 2023 07:40PM

"Credit requirements" -- to whom would these credits matter in the slightest?

"New changes....are meant to help instructors create experiences that will help deepen students’ conversion to the Savior Jesus Christ."

Translation: We are continuing to pretend that we are just like other Christian churches.

"Regarding the changes made for seminary credit, Webb announced the seminary student learning assessment will move from an individual assessment to a group review."

Translation: Too many of our students are not meeting our self-imposed standards, so we will make it easier for them to "pass," thus improving our internal metrics.

"Also, instead of reading in the assigned book of scripture for the course of study for 75% of semester calendar days, students will be required to read selected scriptural passages each term and then create additional personalized reading goals."

Translation: No one is reading the material, so we will reduce it to a few selected quotes that can be read in class.

"To preface the announcement, Webb shared the parable of the sower from Matthew 13 where the Savior speaks of some seeds bringing forth, “an hundredfold, some sixtyfold, [and] some thirtyfold” (verse 8)."

Translation: We know we are *******, so we are trying to make the best of things.

"These seminary changes come from a recognition that every student has a different level of family support, gospel understanding and personal commitment, Webb said."

Translation: It's been bloody difficult to get our students to attend institute, and to take us seriously, so this is the latest half-baked plan to bring them back and to keep them engaged.

“To do this well will require more personal, individual attention from teachers,” President Eyring said. “It will add a burden, but it is a burden teachers should be glad to carry, because their personal ministries are as important as their classroom instruction. If anyone can do it, your teachers can. They are wonderful.”

Translation: Teachers, get the job done, or your *** is out the door.

Date: January 28, 2023 07:56PM

Nailed it, summer!

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: January 28, 2023 07:58PM

Wow. It's almost like you have encountered this sort of manipulation before. . .

I nevertheless remain saddened that after having dropped the "f bomb" a couple of times about the Dobbs decision, you are back to your erstwhile discretion.

**** discretion!

Date: January 28, 2023 08:04PM

I know. I like Dark summer.

Smirk

Posted by: shortbobgirl ( )
Date: January 28, 2023 08:00PM

You’ll know they absolutely tossed in the towel when they adopt the Protestant model of one hour a week, after school, for a year or two.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: January 28, 2023 08:27PM

It’s no different than the Come Follow Me program. The church is trying to motivate its members into having a personal spiritual experience instead of just taking up space in a class and playing Simon say’s. The hope is to build personal belief but the reality is you can lead a horse to water but you can’t make it drink.

Very few members stay in the church because of belief. Most stay due to social pressure, family pressure, to keep a job, avoid a divorce or to keep an inheritance. I would say if you were born into the church, it’s easier to stay than to leave because leaving is going to cause a big life disruption.

The problem for the church is more members are leaving and if your cousin or sister leave it’s easier for you to leave. Most my nieces and nephews have left the church. Same situation in my wife’s family. In fact relatives who gave me flak for leaving are now out.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.