Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: carbuncle ( )
Date: February 01, 2023 10:42AM

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: February 01, 2023 11:22AM

"Financial entrepreneur" from Utah raises red flags. Were the walls closing in? Was he living way beyond his means?

Sad story, but at least he didn't also take out his family in the process.

Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: February 01, 2023 11:38AM

He is very likely a relative of a large extended family of Cheney's that lived in my home town in Southern Idaho. Their mormon roots go very deep and wide.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: February 01, 2023 11:53AM

I don't see any signs that his financial services career had anything to do with it. He had a Harvard MBA and the requisite background to start his own firm. At least on the surface, everything there seems above board.

His arrest was for domestic violence charges. Plus he was facing a divorce. I think it was likely more related to that. I think he could have worked through his problems, but it seems like he was in despair.

Date: February 01, 2023 12:47PM

He had a four million dollar house, and he and his wife had had noteworthy arguments about money in the past, according to the article. That, plus the Utah reputation for playing fast and loose with finances, is what raises a red flag for me.

“Financial entrepreneur” is not an occupation that inspires much trust in me, especially if the person is an intermountain west Mormon. Finances may not have been the root problem, but nothing in the story removed that as a real possibility.

I’ve had family members involved with three sets of financial entrepreneurs in Utah. In one case, the two principals went to prison - commodity speculation gone sour, Ponzi scheme. The other two cases didn’t quite rise to criminal charges, but significant civil lawsuits. All were “good”, TR carrying and using Mormons.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: February 01, 2023 08:53PM

I worked on Wall Street. Nobody on Wall Street cared who was president or which party was in charge. The reason why is Wall Street had bought the political establishment and they do what they want. Lots of cocaine use when I was there. Not exactly the center piece of morals. It’s gotten even more corrupt since I was there.

Posted by: unconventional ( )
Date: February 05, 2023 08:31PM

Thanks Brother of Jerry for pointing out what many people think, but are afraid to say. “Financial entrepreneur” in the Intermountain West usually means pyramid schemer.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: February 01, 2023 12:12PM

I know nothing of the man's situation, operation of mind and thoughts. I am familiar with the expectations of a successful family and career from the Mormon mindset of prosperity gospel. And if one's marriage falls apart due to abuse (or even accusations of abuse) then some people will begin to question why.

My Mom is already hearing rumbles in her ward (my former home ward) about the recent passing of my wife. -If only I had prayed harder, been active in the church, not lost our testimonies. And there are others who think I should be happy about my loss; very typical unfeeling from uncaring and judgmental Mormons.

I think this is a tragedy and wish sincere condolences for the surviving family members.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: February 01, 2023 01:16PM

I'm sorry, Messy. You don't deserve their vindictive need to make things that happen about the church.

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: February 01, 2023 01:54PM

I'm so sorry to read that too, MG. Very cruel attitude. They know nothing about how or if you prayed and whether or not you were active, inactive or out of the church is none of their business.

Where is their compassion? A question too often needing to be asked about Mormons.

I trust you don't take it personally, messygoop. Take it from whence it came, my dear mum always used to say, meaning to hell with them, who cares what they think, or words to that effect.

Re the OP: I am always sorry to hear of a suicide. It's so sad to think of someone getting to that point.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: February 01, 2023 08:59PM

Just a bunch of piss ants being judgmental because it makes them feel superior. Jesus would tell them to geo fuck themselves.

Posted by: cl2notloggedin ( )
Date: February 01, 2023 01:56PM

are doing this. They always have all the answers, don't they? If anything bad happens in exmos lives, then they say SEE. If good things happen, then they can't figure it out. They grasp at anything to prove that we are all just big sinners.

Date: February 01, 2023 02:37PM

And what does it indicate when/if bad things happen in *their* lives? What are *they* "doing wrong"?

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: February 01, 2023 03:00PM

They're just being tested or are involved in someone else's test. It's all part of The Plan . . .  

"If Job could do it, so can I," they say.  "And how great shall be my reward!"

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: February 01, 2023 05:15PM

Messy, I'm so sorry that you had to hear about those nasty, judgmental jerks. If I had heard that in person, those people would have gotten a taste of "Dark Summer." I would have made them regret that they ever opened their mouths.

Date: February 01, 2023 07:59PM

Dark Summer. A force to be reckoned with. Definitely. I'd love to see it!

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: February 03, 2023 09:18PM

Oh, MG, I am sorry.

You truly do not deserve this, and most especially at this point in your personal life.

I don't have any wise words of wisdom (I wish I did have some words of wisdom to share), but I feel so much for what you are going through right now.

We are feeling for you. I know it doesn't help much, but we do care.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: February 04, 2023 12:17AM

This may sound cliche, but I am taking the high road. I wish no harm upon those who are so are so judgmental.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: February 04, 2023 12:27AM

Applause.

Posted by: sd ( )
Date: February 01, 2023 04:24PM

I saw the story and said to myself that guy looks so Mo. Thanks for confirming my Modar.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: February 01, 2023 05:04PM

He was needed on the other side. Can she sue God for alimony?

Date: February 01, 2023 05:43PM

Your question brought forth yet another question . . .

As mormons, we've all been part of, either up close and personal or hazily, in passing, that singular event of having some young person in our life "called home" because ghawd needed him or her 'on the other side.'

And obviously, when ghawd calls you home, off you go.  You can't stand outside, going, "yeah, yeah, in a minute!" or, "...the street lights aren't even on yet!"  Nope, off you go!  You don't even get the chance to put your bra back on!

So here's my question: doesn't ghawd see how 'calling someone home because I need him' punishes the deceased's loved ones?  Why does it seem that he doesn't care how much it screws over those *left behind*, to quote a possible future standard of living?

Why doesn't ghawd make these 'calls' something to look forward to? Why doesn't he tell the bishop, "Buy a HUGE life insurance policy for Brother G. Festus Rockruff before this coming Friday, so his family will be taken care of when I call him home to labor on the Other Side!"

He's ghawd right, so this would be even easier than seeing to it that the winner of the Miss Lindon 2022 pageant gets called to the Washington temple mission once the responsibilities of her office have been discharged!  And he's got that nailed down!

Why is ghawd's church flailing and failing?!?!?!?!?!

It's not a good look!

Posted by: heartbroken ( )
Date: February 01, 2023 08:42PM

Maybe God needs TBMs on the other side because there are so many dead people who just don't believe the Mormon church is true, even when the veil has been lifted.

God has to just keep killing more and more TBMs to help with the missionary work even though baptisms for the dead and temple work for the dead are performed on earth and not in the next life. It seems to me that more TBMs are needed here and that God can wait till they die of natural causes to help in the next life. What's the hurry?

Date: February 01, 2023 08:54PM

Okay, now you're just being cynical!  It's like you're trying to mock ghawd, who giveth liberally and upbraideth not!!

I suppose that we're just going to have to be content with "Everything happens for a reason."  Which begs the question, why bother to pray for anything?  Is there any evidence of prayer changing ghawd's mind?

Posted by: Honest TB[long] ( )
Date: February 03, 2023 10:07AM

I read this obituary online that shows how wonderful the Church must be. One of the biggest defenses of the Church is how wonderful everything looks. This particular obituary is about a man who must have gotten called home by the Lord at a young age after a very wonderful life. Surely his life was about as picture perfect as it can get before he was called home by the loving Lord.

https://www.legacy.com/obituaries/legacy/obituary.aspx?pid=203772062

"Dale Lawrence Cheney passed away on January 25, 2023 in New York City ..... He served a two-year mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in Cordoba, Argentina (1996-1998), where he grew to love the people and the gospel of Jesus Christ. This experience nurtured a profound love of serving others that became one of his guiding principles ..... He is survived by his loving wife, Lauren ...."

Date: February 03, 2023 01:28PM

What you describe is much like the case last month of that Michael Haight who killed his family in Utah and whose obituary lauded him as a great man.

Mormons consider loyalty to the church more important than anything else. Their "morality" is unidimensional--like their religion and their character.

Date: February 03, 2023 04:17PM

The all time champ, for me, was the wife who shoot her husband, then drove a half hour to a scenic spot and shot herself, and her obit just formulaicly stated, “she was preceded in death by her husband of 21 years …”

Date: February 03, 2023 04:20PM

I guess she has egg on her face now.

Date: February 03, 2023 06:02PM

Hey, at least they didn’t say she was preceded in death by her loving husband. They had their limits.

Date: February 03, 2023 06:18PM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.