Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: onthedownlow ( )
Date: February 28, 2023 05:18PM

More than 25 years ago, I served my mission in Brazil. There were many people I tried to stay in contact over the years but back then we did things by letter USPS. Eventually, I lost contact with a bunch of folks until recently I found them over facebook.

One person I found and baptized in particular, went on a mission and returned home and serves firmly in the church still. She never married which I find a little odd as she was not ugly. Her sister informed me though that she decided as its hard to find a worthy man in the church in Brazil. She is basically very TBM.

Of course I am no longer believing for the past 12 years. I shared the recent article of the church being fined to her as I feel bad that she is still single no children. She was not having it at all!! Still firm in her belief and I am the dude that taught her and baptized her. Go figure, strange turn of events.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: cricket ( )
Date: February 28, 2023 06:06PM

rational understanding. Some underlying need must be met by her latching onto to this cult?

Posted by: onthedownlow ( )
Date: February 28, 2023 09:48PM

i would think a sense of empowerment and purpose in life? she was a very sweet young lady when we first met. i could see that she liked me, however, i had my mind on my mission then, i met my wife within no time at all when i returned. she actually wont talk to me as if i promised her marraige. her sisters keep us in communication. but she has dug in her heels and is sticking with a loser. its really sad and i feel guilty having turn her life upside down. damn u joseph smith!!!

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: March 01, 2023 12:21PM

At some point, each person has some amount of responsibility for his/her destiny. You shouldn't be too hard on yourself if she is dedicated to the church.

My mission story involves marrying a beautiful woman who I met in the field, but she refused to get baptized- her brother however said yes and was baptized. For a long time, she felt bad but I always told her it wasn't her fault.

Posted by: madeguy ( )
Date: March 02, 2023 04:14PM

She's not ready to see the truth about her church. People do not want their belief systems challenged. They get defensive or dismissive.

If she becomes unhappy with the church she'll be more open to critical talk about the church, which she 'knows' is true.

And it may still happen.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.