Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: March 03, 2023 01:33AM

If you are able, it would be good if you could let us know your situation.

If you need help, tell us your location (including what county you are in!), what your immediate needs are, and we can inform the relevant authorities.

Some of you may still have Internet access, even if everything else seems impossible right now.

We are thinking about you!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/03/2023 01:38AM by Tevai.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: summer ( )
Date: March 03, 2023 05:25AM

Yes, indeed. That was quite the snow dump in some areas.

From having been through similar snow dumps in the past, it will likely take at least a week to clear out the roads, perhaps double that in the more heavily hit areas. That's assuming that an area has adequate snow removal equipment. Electricity (assuming they bring in a lot of crews from across the country,) will also take about a week, but up to 2-3 weeks for some.

One of the big dangers is roofs collapsing from the excess weight of the snow. I saw on the news last night that a grocery store was wiped out when its entire roof collapsed.

And even the areas that didn't get snow got a lot of rain. Landslides are a huge danger as well.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/03/2023 05:28AM by summer.

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: March 03, 2023 10:24AM

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: March 03, 2023 11:16AM

What do I do if I’m unable to check in?!

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: March 03, 2023 11:29AM

elderolddog Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What do I do if I’m unable to check in?!

Bundle up to the max--and, for food, locate the dozens of Mason jars your Mom (or possibly your Grandma) filled with canned fruit all those years ago, and stored in the basement for a future "rainy day."

It may take awhile, but someday fairly soon (a week; maybe two weeks, maybe three) a Sheriff's deputy will show up at your door to see if you have survived.

If so, Congratulations!

You will have survived the snow crisis of 2023!

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: March 03, 2023 12:21PM

This is an excellent time to dig into that food storage, EOD. Think of all that wheat! You definitely will not starve.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: March 03, 2023 03:54PM

Heavy snow is a tough deal especially in areas not used to or equipped to deal with it. Be safe everyone.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: March 03, 2023 05:06PM

If you need help with snow emergency, get off RFM and go to your local law enforcement or dept of transportation website, or get on the phone and call somebody. We are bloviators, not first responders.

Oh, and EOD was being ironic. That was high quality bloviation.

Posted by: snagglepuss ( )
Date: March 04, 2023 12:44AM

So far no reports of houses blowing up due to broken propane tank lines filling the homes with gas. Winter of '92 did the same thing, collapsed Portola's only grocery store downtown, and boat sheds on Lake Tahoe. Blocked up everything to CA for a week just before New Year's Eve.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: March 04, 2023 02:52AM

I just looked up Portola, CA. As strange as this is to say, once long ago Lot and I took the kids across the United States and on a lark spent a few days in a charming little town called Graeagle.

That was where this occurred:

https://www.exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,2136505,2136521#msg-2136521

Unless my maps deceive me, you live in an absolutely wonderful area.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.