Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Refiler ( )
Date: March 04, 2023 06:35PM

https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2023/03/man-sets-himself-ablaze-on-uc-berkeley-campus-screamed-mormon-mafia-video/

Man Sets Himself Ablaze on UC-Berkeley Campus – Screamed “Mormon Mafia”

A man set himself on fire at the University of California at Berkeley campus on Wednesday and reportedly injured two bystanders in the process.

Psychotic breaks and mental illness are very common among students. At some universities there seems to be at least one suicide attempt per week during term time and some even succeed. There are a lot of reasons for this – high workload and family/romantic relationships breaking down, involvement in cults or abusive political sects. Sometimes colleges/academics force students to write/say things they don't agree with/know not to be true so you can get through the course, which causes massive cognitive dissonance.

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: March 04, 2023 07:21PM

[|] Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> https://www.exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,2466159

The video in my Gateway Pundit link is a lot more dramatic than the other one.

Universities seem to be very toxic environments for mental health. I think the isolation in the lockdowns is still causing problems.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: March 04, 2023 07:28PM

In many cases, it's more the age of the students. For schizophrenia in men, the late teens to the early 20s is typical.

Date: March 04, 2023 07:56PM

summer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> In many cases, it's more the age of the students.
> For schizophrenia in men, the late teens to the
> early 20s is typical.

There is an old joke around here that the mental hospital has the highest concentration of "educated" people in thr city.

Universities do a lot to turn people's heads. I think it is a lot to do with the college environment, and the kinds of people and organizations that attach themselves to these places. There are also a lot of narcotics floating around these places and that doesn't help either.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: March 05, 2023 12:03AM

Oh baloney. Check out the average lifespan of the college-educated versus the nons. Or the rate of marriages, or the longevity of those marriages, or the number of "deaths of despair, or......

At least you are not subtle about your anti-intellectualism.

A single occurrence does not define a trend.

I used to teach at a university for part of my adult life, and the faculty member in the office next to me was on the committee that sent condolences/funeral flowers/whatever else seemed appropriate to families of students that died. Not many of the deaths were suicides, and of the suicides, most were in one department - aviation.

It was a state school, and the vast majority of the student body was from in-state (or neighboring states with reciprocity agreements). There was one exception to that - the aviation department, where most of the students were from out of state, often well out of state, and came from well-to-do families. I think the lack of rootedness had more to do with the suicides than the university environment.

When I graduated, back in the Pleistocene, I worked for a while in north Dallas. There were a number of high tech companies in that part of town, and the surrounding towns were thick with engineers, many of whom relocated from New England, as the computer boom there was dying down. Plano, TX, was the epicenter of this high tech ghetto, and in the late 1970s, it was the teen suicide leader of the nation. Again, I blame it on the lack of rootedness, though I can appreciate that being a New England teen and suddenly finding oneself in the Bible Belt could damage one's psyche.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: March 05, 2023 12:09AM

Oh, and as for the educated people in the mental hospital - educated people have health insurance and access to mental health professionals that can get them into a mental hospital.

The uneducated just tend to end up homeless.

Posted by: Villager ( )
Date: March 04, 2023 09:12PM

I wonder what they were discussing in his last class? Maybe Ensign Peak and the fraud found by the SEC. Could that be his trigger? Whatever it was I feel very bad for him and the people who saw it all happen.

Posted by: [|] ( )
Date: March 04, 2023 09:22PM

Has it been determined that he is actually a student at UCB?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.