Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: [|] ( )
Date: March 05, 2023 02:05AM

Accuracy is terrible - at least for dogs.

CBC sent DNA samples from 3 dogs- one purebred Great Dane and 2 unknown mixed breeds to 4 companies.

None of the results for the mixed breeds agreed. Worse, one company identified the Great Dane as a Chihuahua.

Worst of all, the also submitted a human specimen which ws identified by 2 companies as being from Basenji/Beagle by one and Central Asian Shepherd/Turkish Kangal/Mastiff/Akbash Dog by the other.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/marketplace-dog-dna-test-1.6763274

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: March 05, 2023 02:37AM

So you're saying they couldn't figure out what breed the human was?

Posted by: knotheadusc ( )
Date: March 05, 2023 04:35AM

I had my dogs tested on Embark. Both results were very accurate in our case. One of my dogs is a street dog from Kosovo, and they correctly identified him as an East European Village Dog. One of his DNA relatives looked like he could be his brother, comes from Kosovo, and lives in Sweden.

My other dog is a beagle mix-- with coonhound and Llewellyn Setter. They got that right, too. I was amazed.

Posted by: moehoward ( )
Date: March 05, 2023 09:12AM

And I thought I had problems...

Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: March 05, 2023 10:19AM

I did a Wisdom Panel test for my mutt. My dog is a rescue, so I don’t know what breeds are in his recipe, but one thing from the test that caught my eye was the recommended weight for my dog. It was something like 52 to 96 pounds. For one thing, that range is so big as to be completely meaningless. It’s like telling a person that their ideal weight is between 150 and 300 pounds. Another thing: my dog weighs 42 pounds. He would be seriously overweight at the low end of the scale, and he would probably die before he could get to 96 pounds.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: March 06, 2023 10:46AM

Yeah it's all fouled up.

My cats DNA came back as a tiger and the aggressive one came back as a rhinoceros.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.