Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: unconventional ( )
Date: March 05, 2023 07:27AM

Eventually, devotion to a cult takes its toll.

Decades of narrowmindedness, no true hobbies, lack of objectivity, lack of curiosity, lack of true friends, inability to articulate authentic feelings, etc. result in people who become hollow shells.

They can easily be infuriated about people, especially family members who escaped and led lives firing on all cylinders.

I suspect that is why it’s almost impossible to get my siblings to even talk to me. They hate me because they hate the hand they think they’ve been dealt.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: March 05, 2023 03:40PM

It can go the other way too :(

I have siblings who bailed out during their teen years. They are angry with me for quitting the church. Why?

Because I did the entire church program: mission, temple marriage and church callings. I broke my mom's heart for leaving the church. Well try asking the church leaders for help after your house burns and being told to count your blessings.

Anyways, I have strained relationships with them due to my leaving the church.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: March 06, 2023 04:52PM

and I heard this yesterday on Glen Beck. I was driving home from walking the dogs and switching radio stations and it caught my attention as he was talking about 3 of his kids being depressed and he was talking to some therapist about what to do to help them. The therapist said that we have taken the sacred out of suffering. I said BS LOUD back at the radio.

WHAT!! What a stupid thing to say, but that is what they taught us. AND then if something bad happens to you, they tell you you weren't righteous enough.

I have 3 siblings who left the church before I did. They are all more kind of believing, but don't live the life of a mormon in the least, but will ask me things about it and "don't I believe in this or this or this?" And I say, "I believe NOTHING about the church." My older sister just left.

I'm the one who is completely out and nonbelieving, but our parents died 14 years ago. I didn't break their hearts and none of us did. What happened to me broke their hearts and I was their most devout child.

I don't understand those who already left and act like YOU broke your mother's heart. That makes no sense. But I guess your house burning down was your opportunity to find the sacred in suffering. What an attitude!

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: March 05, 2023 03:56PM

Depends on the people. I know TBM’s who do a lot of things and are happy.

Posted by: unconventional ( )
Date: March 05, 2023 06:43PM

Usually the well-adjusted cult members are half-hearted, make a lot of money, and only go through the motions. Tithing is no big deal, and the church is nothing but a club to them.

I get it, if it works for them.

If life is about enjoyment, consumerism, and not ever getting at the root of things, then yes, that’s a valid path.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/06/2023 03:18PM by unconventional.

Posted by: madeguy ( )
Date: March 06, 2023 02:40PM

Living an authentic life is not always easy.

Truth is sometimes inconvenient, but living a fantasy
your entire life is soul-crushing.

Sometimes you have to leave significant people behind

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: March 06, 2023 04:38PM

ChurchCo is bigger on ‘prosperity’ & obedience than they are on Kindness, Respect, & being genuine individuals.

Indoctrination & family - peer pressure are the way(s) they accomplish this, sorta like 45 did for a while.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: March 06, 2023 04:55PM

She is the last of us who was still active mormon except our disabled brother. After COVID, she just couldn't bring herself to go back because of how people treat each other in the church.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.