Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: March 05, 2023 05:02PM

My days are busy doing medical work online and I was thrilled on Friday to obtain a new and hopefully lucrative account.

I had to break a longstanding habit and work Sunday (today) to ensure I can stay on track with the extra work this coming week. It takes a while to set it all up and figure out the details for a new client. I didn't want to face that on a Monday morning. So I turn on my computer early this a.m. and after the home page appears the thing freezes up.

As an aside, I have an impossibly ancient machine and keyboard but I love them so haven't kept up to date with new stuff. (There's always new stuff. I get impatient with upgrades, upgrades, upgrades). I thought it was the mouse, which eats batteries by the truckload and was pleased with myself for having extras on hand - and knowing where to find them (I tend to have a messy workspace). But. New battery, screen still locked up. Then I thought the mouse was maybe dead. It's put in long service and deserves to be retired anyway. So I rush up to London Drugs and search out a helper guy in the computer department (scarce on the ground today for some reason) and tell him I need to buy a new mouse. (He's about 17 years old, predictably). For insurance I bought two more packets of batteries as well. I told him I'm surprised that my mouse wasn't working after I had put in a brand new battery. Then I just happened to mention that my screen was locked and his face froze. "Does that mean it's not the mouse?" I quavered and he nodded sympathetically.

Next thing I know he's showing me computers on sale today only. I'm thinking I was already not happy with the price of the batteries and now I need to spend another thousand dollars to have something for the new batteries to play with?

I just about went for it, being so anxious about serving the new client but then decided to try the new mouse first, even though I didn't relish a possible second trip to the shop if it didn't solve my problem. Arriving home, screen still locked. I switch out to the new mouse but it also doesn't work. I spend an hour looking for the business card of my techie guy but can't find it. Besides, I worried about the huge premium he may charge if I could even persuade him to come out on a Sunday. Then I remember that the computer kid told me I need to plug a little silver chippie into the back of the computer in order for the mouse to work. Pulling the computer box-thingie out from the wall, I knock it over and a bunch of wires pop out from the back. Now I have to try and reconstruct the configuration of which tangle goes where to try and plug it all back in. Then I try three different places for the new little chippie to fit into and voilà, the mouse lights up. But I hate it. Too big, with a nasty el cheapo plastic coat.

Meanwhile, screen still frozen up. Realized I couldn't face searching for Computer Guy's business card (I can't remember his name to just look him up) or a 6-hr ordeal of him rattling around my work station on my Sunday afternoon, not to mention his big bill for an emergency call-out.

So. I prayed. "Please, please, please, help me figure it out and give it life" or something to that effect. :)

Then I go for broke and yank the plug right out of the wall. I know you're not supposed to do that. But kind of half praying I plug it back in. (After I swept up an appalling pile of thick dust that was living and multiplying behind my desk). It comes back on! But it's taking forever for the home page to show up and meanwhile I resign myself to having to call somebody, anybody, to come check it out or else just go back and buy a whole brand new computer. But it will be empty. I curse myself too for losing track of all my back-up files. (Self-defence - I have somewhat recently moved and a lot of stuff is still not unpacked). How long will it take to recreate all my templates and how will I work without having access to them and other vital info? How will I get all my other work done and still find time for the new account, all without the security blanket of my familiar templates et al?

This is not how I planned to spend my Sunday.

So I pray a little bit again but without any faith at all that I will actually be saved from my own lapses. Besides, as I always say to explain why I never ask for anything for myself, countless folks have way way way worse problems, for sure.

Then my familiar home screen pops up! And it's alive! And my beloved old familiar sleek ergonomic mouse works too!

And that's why I'm here now yakking at you, still not working! But I could if I want to. Yay!

To get to the point, at long last. My best friend who is absolutely lovely, and a Christian of the Mennonite/Baptist variety, would say that definitely I can get to work because God answered my prayers. (Although she'd wince about working on Sunday). My take, as always, is that there are literally countless people ahead of me in line who need help way more than I do. But, you know, He sees the little sparrow fall, so the saying goes.

The funny thing is that after all that I'm tired. I want only to brew up my Yorkshire tea and pull out my English detective story. So why don't I do that and worry about this new client on Monday after all.

I am thankful though for whatever force of the universe got me back here online today. Even if it was just the molecules aligning, or something, so that eventually through trial and error I got all the little doohickeys in all the right holes to spark life back into this ancient machine. Took me hours though. A computer major I ain't.

Now, where's that kettle. :P

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/05/2023 05:08PM by Nightingale.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: March 05, 2023 05:10PM

It often works: if in doubt, pull the plug out :-D

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: March 05, 2023 05:15PM

I feel you. I was yelling at Microsoft Word this week because the tool bar at the top inexplicably vanished, and I couldn't remember how to get it back. And none of the online advice was working. So, I took a deep breath, tried a few things, and finally got it back. Yay!

What you did I call "electronic death." In my case, I turn off the computer at the power strip. I know it's not good to do that, but as a last resort, it works. I suspect that you ran out of memory, Nightingale. You might want to reboot more often.

Another thought would be to get a backup computer. If all else fails, I have a laptop that I can use. It's not my favorite, but it can get the job done.

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: March 05, 2023 05:25PM

I am sorry for the multitude of angst and difficulties you've had to deal with today...and VERY happy you're back up...

...and that your various energies (electronic/mechanical/human) have synchronized, and are all working--in their expected order--again!

Yorkshire tea and an English detective story sound like a proper, post-trauma, response to me!

[You could also do a happy dance, if you think the tea and novel are not sufficiently sufficient. ;) ]

In any case:

Good Work, Nightingale!

We are proud of you!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/05/2023 06:33PM by Tevai.

Posted by: Shinehah ( )
Date: March 05, 2023 06:53PM

I haven't tried prayer to get my computer working but I have found that just the right cuss word often gets the #€!¢÷*# thing working.

Posted by: shortbobgirl ( )
Date: March 05, 2023 08:04PM

When in doubt hard reboot which is the same as pulling the plug. It’s already screwed up so why not.

Posted by: Kentish ( )
Date: March 05, 2023 08:36PM

Nightingale, you can't just write "my English detective story" without clarification. My favorite UK detective is actually a Scot. Ian Rankin, writer of the Rebus series.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: March 05, 2023 10:52PM

There can NEVER be enough Rebus!

Date: March 05, 2023 10:21PM

You guys are making me laugh. Thanks for that. I feel better now.

That’s my new life motto, Tom – If in doubt, pull the plug out. It even rhymes.

And in this case it seems to have been the right thing to do. If I’d tried that first rather than last I may have saved myself the whole pointless exercise of dashing out to the computer department at London Drugs like I thought some kind of miracle would happen there. The only miracle is on their side – they got me to spend money on something I didn’t need and don’t like. Never do I want to spend my day clutching a joyless piece of large brittle plastic like the awful mouse they sold me. Back in the day (last time I bought one) they were small and round and sleeker and softer and tucked comfortably right inside the palm of your hand.

Now I’m starting to channel Rabbie Burns and his Ode to a Mouse. Actually, I highly dislike rodents so for me that’s an unfortunate name for an essential piece of equipment that lives on my desk.

shortbobgirl: Yes, that *was* a hard reboot as it was very hard for me to decide to try it, lol.

summer: I can’t imagine you yelling but, as with me, if it’s just at a machine we get a pass for that. I’ll look into the rebooting thing. I figure the poor brain of this thing is completely full. It likely longs for retirement and maybe it’s time but I don’t do well with change. I like your idea of a backup or maybe I can go for a new one and use this old one for backup. It’s certainly earned its rest.

Tevai: You said “Yorkshire tea and an English detective story sound like a proper, post-trauma, response to me!” Haha – I agree, absolutely! Most restorative. I even, for a change, have resisted (so far anyway) flipping to the last page to see whodunit as I usually do. Kind of counterintuitively I can’t stand suspense.

Shinehah: You are correct – words are wonderful things. Certain ones can improve your mood just by uttering them!

Kentish: Haha. Yes, I forgot to include the most crucial details. Author: Susan Hill. Title: A Change of Circumstance. Main detective: Simon Serrailler. He lives and works in the fictional town of Lafferton. This is how the author describes it - Lafferton is a fictional cathedral town somewhere in Southern England. On Susan Hill's website she says of Lafferton “I am often asked if it is based on a real place. No, but if you think of places like Exeter or Salisbury you are on the right lines.”

I’ve read most of the previous books in the series. Obviously I must have missed the last one because suddenly Simon has a major injury I didn’t know about (or have forgotten although don’t know how such a significant story line could fade from my memory). This current book isn’t my favourite as the major case concerns drug dealers – I don’t enjoy that type of crime story. Murders are OK, drugs not so much. For me anyway.

Re Rebus: We mentioned him here recently – remember I said I unexpectedly bumped into Ian Rankin in my little bookstore. I can’t begin to describe what a surprise that was as I wouldn’t ever think such a thing could happen, certainly without me planning it but I had no idea he was in town doing book signings and serendipitously he walked into the shop when I happened to be there. I couldn’t have planned it better and I ended up being the first one in line to get an autographed copy. I asked him if he could write faster (one story a year from him isn’t enough) and also make Rebus quit aging. He just laughed. (I’m afraid his detective is getting too old to be out and about solving gruesome mysteries for much longer. Why can’t authors these days let their characters just stand still!).

This was fun, y’all. Thanks again.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: March 06, 2023 05:21AM

For her "Miss Fisher" series, author Kerry Greenwood set most of her novels in 1928. So Miss Fisher had one very busy year! Greenwood moved the clock forward to 1929 for her most recent books.

The lead character is such a good embodiment of the flapper era that it boggled my mind to consider that if she were a real person, she might have lived into the 1970s.

Regarding computer mice, I once spent some time trying out the various mice in a store. It's amazing how they all feel different from one another, with some being almost unbearably uncomfortable.

I used to yell at early versions of Word a whole lot more, because they deserved it. lol

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/06/2023 05:23AM by summer.

Posted by: Kentishz ( )
Date: March 05, 2023 10:39PM

Stand still indeed. I did prefer the books when he was still on the Force. As an aside John Hannah fits my imaging of Rebus than the actor who shook over in the tv series.

I am a fan of Raymond Chandler's Marlowe series written in the 40s. John Banville has absolutely cloned Chandler in his book Marlowe. Humphrey Bogart was Marlowe to me so I am s little concerned at the casting of Liam Neeson as Marlowe in the upcoming move of this book. Love Liam but am not sure he is Marlowe.

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: March 06, 2023 03:16AM

Yes for Rebus - and an even greater, shouted YES!!! for Chandler who was, in my opinion, one of the greatest English-language writers of the 20th century, whatever the genre considered. Just wonderful.

Date: March 06, 2023 02:15PM

Kentishz Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Stand still indeed. I did prefer the books when
> he was still on the Force.

Me too. I don't know how much more scope there is for an aging retired Rebus.

> As an aside John
> Hannah fits my imaging of Rebus than the actor who
> shook over in the tv series.

I can't recall seeing Rebus on TV at all. I don't remember Hannah being Rebus. If I did see it and am not remembering it then I'm losing it faster than I thought. But I think I've only ever just read the books. Twice each.

> I am a fan of Raymond Chandler's Marlowe series
> written in the 40s. John Banville has absolutely
> cloned Chandler in his book Marlowe. Humphrey
> Bogart was Marlowe to me so I am s little
> concerned at the casting of Liam Neeson as
> Marlowe in the upcoming move of this book. Love
> Liam but am not sure he is Marlowe.

I like Liam Neeson but sad to say don't know Marlowe (I've heard of him of course). So it will likely be easier for me to accept whoever would play him as I have no particular attachment to the character or the books.

It's funny how we can connect to fictional characters and they become real. Often the first actor who plays them, if they do it well, is identified with that character for us and it's difficult for new actors to take over. I guess they're always up for a challenge though.

It's amazing that a person can create a character that resonates so well with a wide audience for such a long time. That is creativity.

Same with Inspector Morse (have we mentioned him lately?) I wasn't as into the young Morse TV program as the old Morse. They did it well, of course, but I didn't find the stories as appealing. I loved old Morse - even when he was being his usual crotchety self there was a quality about him that evoked sympathy and appreciation. I just saw a picture of him as a young man - you should look it up - amazing!

I also preferred Lewis as a sidekick and not the main man as he is in the Lewis series (with Laurence Fox). Lewis all of a sudden getting into opera and classic literature (as Chief Inspector Morse was) doesn't come across as realistic at all. To me anyway. Although I know people can grow and change, obviously. But this was a bit of a long stretch in terms of character growth. :)

Readers/viewers can be opinionated can't we? But maybe authors get a kick out of us getting so involved in their creations. Sometimes it's likely a pain for them too.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: March 05, 2023 11:25PM

to download any dictations I have. Only one. I work for a company. I couldn't handle all the computer stuff on my own. BUT they had a server have water drip in it and they lost their system about the first of February. I'm the one who was the guinea pig for getting it up working on a Sunday, but I always work Sundays. I like the work I get on Sundays better as nobody else likes working. I work 7 days a week, but only a few hours a day. I'm partially retired.

BUT I'm stressed today as we have SO MUCH SNOW. We got about a foot last night. It shows every other day. I think it is snowing right now. So I have a house that is actually open concept and built in 1976, believe it or not. There have been small cracks in the ceiling above the opening and they got worse today, so "husband" put up a support. And I'm like "Do I dare go to sleep?"

We have a metal roof that has "brakes" towards the edges so it doesn't avalanche on the dogs when they are out back. And it stops the snow from sliding off, but I know I've had to knock some down several times. I think I'll be on the roof tomorrow to shovel snow off. There is plenty of a cushion to fall onto.

So I've said my own little prayers today.

I am SO SICK OF THIS SNOW. It is never ending and I'm not in California. I'm in little Hyrum, Utah. At least it is warming up. It is supposed to be 40 a few days this week.

I'm glad you figured out your computer. I have three and I don't use cordless stuff, though I have them. I get too stressed as it is. I have a cord that connects to 2 computers and you push a button to switch, but I put my 2 laptops away as my son was getting on my computers and saying they were hacked, etc. And messing with them. I've written about his issues before. He is taking his medication and has improved a lot THANK WHOMEVER.

I hate computers personally and reading what you went through today makes me stressed out just reading it!! I hope things continue to work.

Date: March 06, 2023 01:53PM

cl2 Wrote:
> I hate computers personally and reading what you
> went through today makes me stressed out just
> reading it!! I hope things continue to work.

Sorry to stress you out cl2. I don't hate computers as they let me work from home (very convenient always and extra fortunate throughout the pandemic). I do not enjoy the glitchy times, for sure.

It's discouraging at times to discover that I'm the major glitch.

I'm fortunate that I have techies who can rescue me as necessary when it comes to the work. They just don't work on Sundays. I can forgive them for that.

Hope all your glitches work out. You must enjoy being semi-retired. At least it gives you more time for other pursuits, hopefully.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: March 05, 2023 11:30PM

I have yet to resort to prayer to fix inanimate devices that fail. Cussing usually feels better, at least to this reprobate.

Posted by: shortbobgirl ( )
Date: March 06, 2023 10:53AM

My last reaction to stubborn technology was”in the names of all that is holy make this f****ing thing work”. Not sure if I was praying or cussing.

Date: March 06, 2023 01:45PM

shortbobgirl Wrote:
> My last reaction to stubborn technology was”in
> the names of all that is holy make this f****ing
> thing work”. Not sure if I was praying or
> cussing.

Different words, same idea, shortbobgirl. :)

To LR: I wouldn't expect anything different!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/06/2023 01:48PM by Nightingale.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: March 06, 2023 11:55AM

If saying a prayer helps one calm down and think clearly, then I'm all for it. I'm glad your computer began working again.

This was my favorite part of your story.

-(I tend to have a messy workspace)

:D

Date: March 06, 2023 01:48PM

messygoop Wrote:
> -(I tend to have a messy workspace)

> :D

Yup. No matter how many times I try to straighten it up and tuck things away it's beyond chaotic on its best day.

Still, somehow I manage to manage. Thankfully.

But I am going to tidy up.

One day.

Posted by: the original moi ( )
Date: March 07, 2023 07:32PM

From personal experiences with it, I have very little trust and faith in this technical crap, especially stuck in line at a cashier behind someone who's damn debit card isn't going through. One time in the south MalWart in Lethbridge, the loud speakers announced that the debit cards were down. There were a lot of long faces, but I breezed on through with my basket of stuff, paying with lowly cash.

Date: March 07, 2023 08:15PM

Yeah, "one time" though. :P

When it works it's great. Convenient at least but also amazing.

Today is a bad day for me to ponder the great divide between tech stuff and the regular world. I spent my entire workday hanging out with the techies just to achieve a basic result I used to be able to do myself in a flat New York minute.

At the same time, technology innovations allow me to work from home, saving me an interminable and expensive commute and a couple of hours a day of time I can sure put to better use. Such as breaking out my latest detective novel, just to relax a bit.

Newsflash to Kentish for the sake of completeness: Tonight's book is by Elly Griffiths, whose Ruth Galloway, forensic archaeologist, series I recently mentioned. Tonight I'm in a different series about Harbinder Kaur, a detective in London, but it's book #2. I missed the 1st one and just finished the 3rd one. I didn't realize the stories were in order so didn't start at the beginning. I'm a bit disappointed because I didn't enjoy Book #2 in this series nearly as much as I did the archaeology ones. Maybe they're better in order. I found Book 3 confusing. Too many characters, or something. But it could be me. I'm frazzled these days. Can't even solve a make-believe mystery! Or keep track of a crowd.

I don't have any other novels lying about waiting for me - what a major oversight on my part - so my only other choices are two non-fiction: One is Harry's book. I succumbed to the sales pitch and bought it a while back but so far have left it lying by itself unopened. Without even looking for them I've seen or heard many negative reviews. More about him spilling his guts than about the contents. Or maybe it's pretty much the same thing. The other book on my to-read shelf is called 'Saving Freud' (from the Third Reich) by Andrew Nagorski.

I'm not kidding about the stressful day with the techie issues so the Freud one doesn't really appeal for now. I'm sure it's a riveting story. But not right tonight.

So Detective Kaur and London it is.

Whatever you all are reading, enjoy!

Sorry, moi, for going on a tangent. I do that. Sometimes. Because everything is related to everything else. In my brain anyway.

Posted by: Kentish ( )
Date: March 07, 2023 09:28PM

Someone you could try if you have not already found him is Robert B. Parker. Parker was a devotee of Chandler and has written numerous books about his hero Spencer, and several Jessie Stone books (Tom Sellek has played in movie versions of these). A terrific British writer is Phillip Kerr, whose Bernie Gunther books are quite brilliant. They are set in Germany during the rise and fall of Nazism which Bernie is opposed to requiring him to tread lightly in stories st involve the likes of Himmler and Goebbels.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: March 07, 2023 09:40PM

A bit of advice for the hard-rebooters (not that you asked, but hey, its free!)

Listen to see if there is any disk activity. If your computer is frozen, there probably isn't any, but in any case, listen for the tell-tale noises of disk activity. If you don't know what those noises are, save a file sometime and listen closely. Or reboot normally. That causes a lot of disk activity.

If your computer only has a solid-state drive (common on laptops these days), the disk is all electronic - no mechanical parts. No noise when the disk is active. You just have to take your chances in that case.

Stopping the computer in the middle of a disk action might screw up the disk directory. That's not guaranteed, and even if the directory does get corrupted, the OS may be able to sort things out on a reboot, and only lose the particular file that was being saved when the interruption occurred.

The worst that could happen is you may have to reinstall the backup of your hard drive - an annoying operation, but not all that hard anymore. Assuming you have a backup. Killing the power will not physically damage the computer, though it may corrupt the data on a disk drive.

You DO have a backup, don't you?!

I had one disk failure in 35 years, I bought a new disk and put it in the laptop, and plugged in my external backup. The OS booted off the external drive automatically, asked if I wanted to format the internal drive, and load the backup onto the internal drive. I said yes, and found something else to do for a half hour.

There was a certain amount of fear and loathing on my part, because I had both a Windows and Mac partition on my original drive, but both partitions got installed properly, and everything just worked. Yeah, color me surprised.

Backup technology is pretty decent these days. I use Time Machine on Mac OS.

BTW, one time I had outfitted a college lab with 35 desktop machines, and 15 of the 35 machines had hard drive failures within 2 years. We had apparently gotten a bad batch of hard drives. They are mechanical devices and are subject to failure. A word of warning.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.