Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: March 06, 2023 05:05PM

There is so much focus on doing for the dead, so is there reciprocation? Does Joseph Smith and Brigham Young fret over losing my soul?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ookami ( )
Date: March 06, 2023 05:14PM

I don't know, the dead don't usually answer when I ask.

Date: March 06, 2023 05:58PM

Yeah, well aren't there a whole bunch of men in SLC for whom the veil is very thin and are supposed to be ministered to by as angels?

Posted by: ookami ( )
Date: March 06, 2023 07:08PM

I just figure if the dead have a message for me, they can tell me themselves.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: March 07, 2023 07:56PM

Especially the old ones. Rusty should be seeing dead people on a weekly basis.

Posted by: Roy G Biv ( )
Date: March 06, 2023 06:29PM

I think if they are, they're more concerned with our happiness, not which church we go to......however, in the case of Joseph and Brigham, I'm probably wrong about that.

Date: March 06, 2023 08:02PM

You think they are ghosting us?

Posted by: moehoward ( )
Date: March 07, 2023 08:18AM

Did you start this post just so you could get this joke in?

Posted by: Gordon B. Stinky ( )
Date: March 07, 2023 05:21PM

Hehehe!

Date: March 09, 2023 08:34PM

If it's a don't ask don't tell policy, Oaks is in for a surprise.

Posted by: schrodingerscat ( )
Date: March 06, 2023 11:31PM

No.
They're dead.
They're not worried about anything or anyone.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: March 07, 2023 05:41AM

Compost and ashes don’t worry much.

Posted by: blindguy ( )
Date: March 07, 2023 08:32AM

Well...if there is some sort of life beyond the grave (which I highly doubt), then maybe those closest to us might worry about us.... But Brigham and Joseph? They certainly didn't worry about the personal lives of their followers during their lifetimes so why should they worry about them after their own deaths.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: March 07, 2023 04:30PM

Doesn't mean I expect anyone to feel the same way.

If my parents are worried about us, it isn't about being mormon, but more how things in our lives are going.

My very TBM aunt (that I mention often) asked me when we decorated graves at memorial day where I thought my parents were. I said, "Mom is following Bryce around." He is my disabled brother--from birth. He is 57 now. Later I told her that I knew my parents were with their kids and grandkids. I know she was looking for a mormon answer considering the issues I'd been having like my son with meningitis and mental health issues, etc. My TBM daughter has a lot of miscarriages. I think I shocked her. AND I think she can understand why my mother is following my brother around. She is my mom's sister. My brother does a lot better than my mother thought he would. He does better than a lot of the rest of us do. (My parents' kids are all out except this brother and the kids and grandkids are all out EXCEPT my daughter.)

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: March 07, 2023 04:58PM

I believe in an afterlife as well. My mom was a born worrier, so I'm not convinced that she would automatically lose that quality. She came to me in a dream at some point after her death and told me that when I was in my 80s, I would be living in a specific city. She seemed relieved/happy to say that. And I could definitely see her checking on how my life would go to make sure that everything would be okay.

I also call her my "traffic angel." I joke that she manages to steer me around major accidents on what, over the years, has often been a lengthy commute.

Once I found a little gold angel pendant in the parking lot of the store where she had worked for many years. The pendant had my birthstone on it. I always felt it was a gift from her to me.

Posted by: Gordon B. Stinky ( )
Date: March 07, 2023 05:23PM

For only 10% of your income, I'll allow you into a special facility where you will be able to meet and communicate with them! :)

They are there now, doing the work for you.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: March 07, 2023 06:22PM

Thanks to mormonism, the dead, Los Difunctos de San Garaboto y anexas, have never had it so good!

They have Paradise all to themselves! Gas is under $1.00 per gallon and golf is free.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: March 07, 2023 06:25PM

That's Garabato, I believe, with or without the annexes.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: March 07, 2023 06:59PM

"La historia se desarrolla en el ficticio "San Garabato de las Tunas..."

https://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Los_Supermachos

Would I try to correct you if you talking about knitting?

Date: March 07, 2023 07:18PM

Yes, you probably would.

Posted by: blackcoatsdaughter ( )
Date: March 07, 2023 06:45PM

I do not believe in an afterlife and in fact find the idea abhorrent(So, my family members are all on the other side, very close, close enough to watch me? ...so when I die, is that what I'll be doing? Watching and waiting for my younger relatives to die and join me? But once they do, they'll not do anything with me. No, because THEY'LL be watching THEIR descendents and waiting for THEM to die. And on and on in this immobilized cycle of watching the living. Like, it's funny how much people talk about the afterlife as a "next phase" as if it's a new chapter. Yet the narrative again and again returns to featuring THIS life as the main event everyone is so concerned about. It's why the families can be together forever thing fell apart for me once I really started to pick it apart. When I am dead, will I still be an introvert or will I get a new personality? A personality that simply LOVES a dinner table that stretches on forever just to fit everybody who was watching and waiting for my death. A personality that just has overwhelming capacity to make deep connections with millions of other souls. Then the me I know I suppose literally does disappear upon death. Any way you slice it. I either get my black void, the end of thought like I wanted or I get a book nook off somewhere private, undisturbed, and not have to watch the exploits of the living and being all about whatever the hell my nieces and nephews are up to.)

In any case, supposing people's nightmare afterlife exists where my dead relatives are watching, then they must be aware that Mormonism is a provable scam. They are no longer worried about ME, if they ever were.

If I were to entertain fantasies of an afterlife, really just go to town and put my fiction writer hat on, and Mormonism is somehow true(we just totally missed a huge piece that made everything not a complete and utter lie from start to finish) then I theorize that the Mormon god is actually a malevolent, predatory entity. The dead are worried for me, because we all went through the secret rituals and signed the contract of this being. And on the other side, this enables this entity to feed upon the stuff of our souls. It matters not that I fell away from the church; I bowed and said the words and made the hand signs. I'm locked in by the magic rules of this creature. So, in the afterlife, I will be scooped up and kept in this hungry fiend's basket until he gets a hankering for a snack and randomly picks me, to eat, like a gingerbread man.

Sometimes, I fiddle with this story idea and make this entity actually encompass all faiths and wear the mask of all the gods anyone conceived of(that makes most sense, honestly, if he's hungry and uses manipulation and deceit in order to entrap us all, he would put on all sorts of colours and creeds to ensnare as many as possible). Same deal. My dead relatives are all squished up in the snack basket together, wailing in despair that I once pledged allegiance to both Christ and Mormon god, so, am branded forever with "prime treat" on my forehead.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: March 07, 2023 08:33PM

LOL!
You have a future in science fiction or fantasy stories!

Date: March 07, 2023 08:42PM

The dead can certainly see that Mormonism is bogus. Why don't they try to warn you in the temple?

Posted by: schrodingerscat ( )
Date: March 07, 2023 09:02PM

After we die we become the most important life forms on earth, worms, who produce the worlds most valuable byproduct, worm shit.
Which creates plants, which turn the elements into carbon based, life giving fruit for the future life forms to metabolize and the cycle starts all over again.
Forever.

Date: March 07, 2023 11:48PM

schrodingerscat Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> After we die we become the most important life
> forms on earth, worms. . .

Lord 'ave mercy.

Posted by: OP ( )
Date: March 09, 2023 05:22PM

Cold? Hungry? Tired? Worried?
They don't even care...

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: March 09, 2023 07:53PM

No...because they're dead!

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: March 09, 2023 10:47PM

I don't know if they ARE worried for us, but I think they very possibly COULD be, especially in extreme, often life-threatening, circumstances. [For example: Unbeknownst to you, you are about to be crashed into by an out-of-control drunk driver. Suddenly, however, and seemingly out of "nowhere," you feel an overwhelming urge to immediately turn your steering wheel hard right or hard left....after which the out-of-control drunk driver goes sailing by, to the side of you.]

Initially, I was raised Hindu/Vedanta, and then--about junior high school age--mostly Unity School of Christianity (both of which "believe" in reincarnation), so my earliest awareness of what happens, or MIGHT happen, after death has always been some iteration of reincarnation.

Most everyone in my family believed in reincarnation, so--to ME--acceptance/"belief" in reincarnation is a comfortable "home base."

Later, as an adult, I was absolutely amazed to learn that Judaism, also, "believes in" reincarnation--under the Hebrew designation: "gilgul." (You can Google "gilgul" for at least some information on the Jewish perspective.)

As an example, my impression from being a Jew for the last four decades is that a sizable percentage (I don't know about "most") Jews believe that those Jews who were murdered in the Holocaust have, at some point since that time, reincarnated as newborn babies (who, in this life, may be great-grandparents right now, for all I know).

From the accounts I have read, there do seem to be at least some connections which exist at earlier death, and are then evident in three-dimensional life later, from a given person's rebirth on.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/10/2023 02:25AM by Tevai.

Date: March 10, 2023 10:55PM

The doctrine of reincarnation was voted out at the Council of Nicea by one vote. Had the vote swung the other way, Catholics might have adopted reincarnation. That goes to show the importance of voting.

Date: March 10, 2023 11:06PM

bradley Wrote:
> The doctrine of reincarnation was voted out at the
> Council of Nicea by one vote. Had the vote swung
> the other way, Catholics might have adopted
> reincarnation. That goes to show the importance of
> voting.

:D :D :D :D :D

I like this post very much, bradley!

Date: March 11, 2023 03:09PM

Nagarjuna posited that you could be your own son. I guess you would have to die pretty close to orgasm. That is the state of many men in love.

Date: March 11, 2023 08:02PM

La petite mort

Date: March 12, 2023 09:33AM

So apropos.

Posted by: manymore ( )
Date: March 10, 2023 05:59PM

Elder Berry Wrote:
> There is so much focus on doing for the dead, so
> is there reciprocation? Does Joseph Smith and
> Brigham Young fret over losing my soul?

No!

ALWAYS remember... (Never forget)
People sometimes forget, or mistake...

°
Mormonism, by design, and interpretation, DOES NOTHING (italicized, not shouted) for members/ others.

°

The LDSC/ Mormon 'church' is dead!

That's why it takes members time/ thoughts/ energy/ money/ free agency/ liberty/ choice/ freedom/ life away from them.

TMC DOES NOT give.
It takes. Everything

Really

Therefore, always remember, Mormonism isn't for giving or forgiving. It stands in the way of you and your potential/ connection/ expansion...

It is a stumbling block to reaching out to your maker and guide... Even trying to steal the small voice! Always interrupting your power accent and natural processes.

The NOT GIVING, BUT TAKING 'church'.
It doesn't even give a crap.

It separates the individual from (potential?) reality.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: March 11, 2023 03:39PM

The dead are only worried for me.

Posted by: I ( )
Date: March 12, 2023 04:23PM

I don't think they're the only ones

Date: March 12, 2023 07:54PM

Not since Jerry Garcia died.

Date: March 12, 2023 08:11PM

bradley Wrote:
> Not since Jerry Garcia died.

:D

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.