Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: March 08, 2023 06:34AM

The LDS church is one big game of Simon says. A new trend has surfaced. We yoke ourselves to Christ by performing temple ordinances. This was never discussed when I went to the temple. It was about having the right hand shakes to get past all the sentinels on the way to the celestial kingdom. Now it’s about getting yoked like an ox to Jesus.

If you get sealed in the temple you are yoked to your spouse. I heard this one from a cousin who’s a temple sealer.

It’s all about yoking now. It’s terminology that was never used in my temple attending days. There’s a huge obsession to link everything in the church to Christ. Now instead of just benefitting from his atonement and ascending back to the father we are yoked to Jesus like an ox. I guess you become a beast of burden in the temple now.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: March 08, 2023 06:46AM

The church is one big yoke.

Date: March 08, 2023 06:50AM

Pretty much.

Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: March 08, 2023 07:56AM

And when I was a member, the yoke was on me.

Posted by: Out and about ( )
Date: March 08, 2023 12:43PM

bradley Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The church is one big yoke.

This made me laugh out loud. Bahahahahaha!

Posted by: I ( )
Date: March 17, 2023 01:19AM

bradley Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The church is one big yoke.

No joke!

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: March 08, 2023 12:15PM

I’m yoké, you’re yoké, we’re all yoké!!

Posted by: Boyd KKK ( )
Date: March 08, 2023 12:18PM

Wonder if they will start back with Jesus being Yoked to at least 3 wives? Used to be taught, now pretty much swept under the carpet.

Date: March 08, 2023 12:27PM

Boyd KKK Wrote:
---------------------------
> Wonder if they will start
> back with Jesus being Yoked
> to at least 3 wives? Used
> to be taught, now pretty
> much swept under the carpet.

Darn it! I remember Ginger and Mary Ann…

Who was the third wife?

Posted by: amiable ( )
Date: March 08, 2023 12:23PM

I thought this was only in born-again type Christianity. Who knew the LDS were so ecumenical!

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: March 08, 2023 01:46PM

Maybe they wanted a word to compete with the word woke. ;-)

Date: March 17, 2023 01:18AM

Now that's a joke! lol

Posted by: Dallin Ox ( )
Date: March 08, 2023 01:43PM

"Oxen are commonly castrated adult male cattle" (Wiki)

And yes, the irony of my username is not lost on me.

Posted by: Secular Priest ( )
Date: March 08, 2023 03:08PM

When I went through the temple in 1867 we had to wear garments supplied by the temple. They had long sleeves and long legs and tied at the front like buttoning up a shirt. They had a long wide collar and we told that represents the "Yoke of Christ." They they went to 'wear your garments. I guess it was too much in labor costs to wash these garments. So the Yoke of Christ was in the temple stuff up until 1967 and maybe a few years more. And the garment was made out of thick cloth and it felt like you were yoked to something.
Those were the days when the mark covered the knee cap.

Posted by: Secular Priest ( )
Date: March 08, 2023 03:08PM

Date: March 09, 2023 04:28PM

It might as well have been 1867 with garments like that.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: March 08, 2023 03:11PM

I'm seeing things today. It happens when I wear green to work.

I thought this was about new indoor gardens and something called toke.

Date: March 09, 2023 04:27PM

The temple would be more popular if you partook of the Rastafarian sacrament in it.

Posted by: Villager ( )
Date: March 08, 2023 04:19PM

The opposite of free agency is "yoked".

They are trying really hard to get rid of anything to do with "agency".

Chained around the neck with a heavy cement block and thrown into a deep body of water: "Yoked to death".

Date: March 09, 2023 04:32PM

Pretty much. They are saying social control tactics are following Christ. Being yoked. Following the covenant path. It’s all about being a slave for the church.

Date: March 09, 2023 04:40PM

I wonder if Russ saw the term yoked being used in other Christian churches and decided to apply it to the temple.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: March 09, 2023 09:31PM

I have attended a baptist service within the last month and there was nothing said that was remotely connected to word yoke. I think it's ponderize all over again.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: March 13, 2023 01:53PM

It comes up a lot with marriage in the more fundi types.

Date: March 13, 2023 11:34PM

Yes. EVERYTHING in mormondumb is copied

Posted by: Notmonotloggedin ( )
Date: March 08, 2023 04:29PM

-especially from the temple ceremony.

Now, all of sudden, they are using his name.

As usual, the leadership put their collective finger in the air to see how the wind's been blowing and...voila! they took action.

Posted by: metatron ( )
Date: March 09, 2023 01:23PM

That's sad.

On a lighter note, before I got coronary artery disease, my fried eggs were always about the yolks.The yolks were everything.

Posted by: OP ( )
Date: March 09, 2023 05:11PM

The temple has always been a beast of burden.
Mormonism is a bear.

The Mormon 'church' is a yoke!

Mormons wouldn't know a yoke if they saw or heard one.

YOGA. Yoga. YOGA!

Mormonizm is hundreds of years -and always at least a joke away - from getting it.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: March 09, 2023 06:52PM

The concept of a human being yoked to anything is so distasteful. If Jesus represents anything, why wouldn't he represent freedom from outdated beliefs and rules, a new way of being?

Date: March 10, 2023 06:52PM

Totally!

Instead of a ball and chain, perhaps the wind...

good point summer

Date: March 10, 2023 08:04PM

...as in Jesus is the yolk of Christianity?

That way there's some sense to saying, "The Yolk's on you!"

Date: March 11, 2023 01:58AM

Most people/ Mormons especially, (how about you exmormons, or what I like to call formons, or former Mormons? [some through no fault of their own]) have no idea what yoke/ yug/ yoga/ yogurt even means. Just checking. lol

A little primer for the seekers in we~

If you were to ask 10 yogis the question, "What is yoga?," you would probably get 10 different answers.

In order to sort out the true meaning of yoga, it is helpful to start with the etymology of the word itself.

The word yoga comes from the Sanskrit root word “yug,” which literally means to yoke or unite.

The union that the word yoga is referring to is that of uniting individual consciousness (our individual experience of reality) with Divine consciousness (the essence of truth as perceived when we quiet our five senses and reconnect with the Supreme Self within).

The Sanskrit word yoga has several translations and can be interpreted in many ways. It comes from the root yug and originally meant "to hitch up," as in attaching horses to a vehicle. Another definition was "to put to active and purposeful use." Still other translations are "yoke, join, or concentrate."

In the self-limiting small world of Mormonism one isn't allowed to wonder or ask questions!

Mormonism doesn't even know where Jesus was for many years. Doesn't even wonder. Therefore can't explain.

For reference, see John Prine singing Jesus, The Missing Years https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=suoJ6mLVBlU

Date: March 11, 2023 11:11AM

Austin City Limits https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=suoJ6mLVBlU RIP John Prine

https://www.johnprine.com/

Spring 2020 - OH BOY [Records] - 10 songs from 1971-2018
https://www.npr.org/2020/04/06/828225080/john-prines-life-in-10-songs

https://performingsongwriter.com/john-prine-songs/

I guess I always loved to write, but I never had anything to really encourage it. I never thought I could be a journalist or novelist or anything, I just had a wild imagination and songwriting gave me enough rope to run with it.”

From that imagination has sprung some of the most beloved characters, familiar scenarios, and quotable lyrics of any writer, placing John Prine in a league of his own. From his spine-chilling imagery of the Vietnam Vet “Sam Stone,” to the bittersweet recognizable characters of “Donald and Lydia,” to the sing-along “blow up your TV” chorus in “Spanish Pipedream,” Prine is a songwriter loved by his peers and idolized by his fans.

John Prine was born the third of four children on October 10, 1946, and grew up in a Chicago suburb. His parents were natives of Western Kentucky, and his father emigrated to Chicago to escape the drudgery of the coal mines. But John spent many summers of his childhood with relatives in the Appalachian coal-mining town of Paradise, where the culture, music, values, and blue-collar struggles all played a part in developing Prine’s imagination and insightful view of the world. And it was here that the groundwork was laid for his lyrical gems to come.

Prine wrote his first songs when he was fourteen after his brother taught him a few chords on the guitar. He played mostly for himself, his family, and “to impress girls,” but never really took it seriously. After graduating from high school in 1964, he worked for two years with the postal service and was drafted by the Army and sent to Germany. There he spent ‘66 and ‘67 as head of the motor pool, and drug his guitar around with him to entertain the guys in the barracks. After his Army days were over, however, Prine went back to delivering mail – all the while writing songs as he walked his beat.

Prine’s life and profession changed in 1970 when, after a few beers, some friends talked him into getting up at an open-mike night at a Chicago club called The Fifth Peg. After that, events began to happen to lead John down the path of becoming a professional singer-songwriter. He met and become close friends with Steve Goodman, who at the time had a hit out for Arlo Guthrie with “City of New Orleans,” and it was Goodman who played one of Prine’s songs for Kris Kristofferson, bowled him over, got the attention of Jerry Wexler at Atlantic Records, and thus began the Cinderella story of John Prine.

John passed away on April 7, 2020. To remember him we take a look at the stories behind a few of his most loved songs. We will miss you, John. Thanks for all the music and smiles you’ve given us.

Note: there are some great song stories on this link.

American Songwriter: As the Mark Twain of American songwriting, John Prine was a beloved man, musician, and one of the best songwriters ever. He was this funny grandfather figure; a good old cowboy that was one with the heart of America—unassuming but legendary.

Date: March 17, 2023 01:09AM

By the book, and the so called "church", choir and the PLAY!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.