Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: schrodingerscat ( )
Date: March 08, 2023 09:14PM

Why not let girls just compete with boys and
women compete with men?

Testosterone?

So let women take testosterone. Let them get as swollen as Arnold Shwartzenager in his prime, and Jump like that little white Dude who won the dunk contest at the All Star game.
The only thing stopping them is a shot of testosterone every day.
We all have testosterone and we all have estrogen. We just produce different amounts.

The ironic thing is, we are feminizing men with endocrine disruptors, which our bodies mistake for estrogen.
It is found in all plastics to make them plastic. The softer your plastic, the more the phthalates, which are a one of many endocrine Disruptors.

NIH link on Endocrine Disruptors
https://www.niehs.nih.gov/health/topics/agents/endocrine/index.cfm

Scientists at the NIH have issued warnings about it, but we are All Addicted.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 03/08/2023 09:51PM by schrodingerscat.

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: March 08, 2023 09:18PM

Harvard study on why Phthalates should be banned in products.
https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/news/features/the-big-3-why-phthalates-should-be-restricted-or-banned-from-consumer-products/

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/08/2023 09:19PM by schrodingerscat.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: March 08, 2023 09:38PM

I agree on the point of letting teams & individual sports able to participate together, but for me the info on chemicals in our environment was a bit over the top,

Athletes should not be able to take non-therapudic meds / chemicals, either males or females... If chemicals/ meds are part of being or becoming Trans, I think-say (my opinion) the individual forfeits eligibility to compete.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/08/2023 09:38PM by GNPE.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: March 08, 2023 10:26PM

Why don't men just avoid soft plastics? Look out for soy products and birth control hormones in the sewer and water too!

I know... men could take testosterone shots if they want. That would solve it, right?

Date: March 08, 2023 11:05PM

Kind of hard to avoid it when it's absorbed through your mother's skin and delivered to you in vitro through your Mother's bloodstream, makeup, perfume, scented candles, carpet, shampoo, plastic bags, IV's, the list goes on.

You can't avoid it. Endocrine disruptors are in the water, in teflon that makes your pans non-stick. Anything that's flame retardant, like your carpet, lacquer that lines your canned food, is filled with endocrine disruptors.

I don't know if taking testosterone is a good way to inhibit endocrine disruptors, but found this.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1472648313000692

"Phthalates
Phthalates are considered to be one of the major groups of anti-androgenic substances and thus are established reproductive and developmental toxicants (Grady and Sathyanarayana, 2012).

It has been shown that rats exposed to phthalates during the prenatal period can develop specific developmental reproductive anomalies that have been identified as ‘phthalate syndrome’. These include cryptorchidism, smaller testes and penis size and alterations to the vas deferens and epididymis as well as a shorter anogenital distance (Foster, 2006). A dose-dependent correlation between DBP administered during pregnancy and lactation, reduced anogenital distance (Mylchreest et al., 1998) and lower testosterone concentration has been reported at doses as low as 50 mg/kg/day (Lehmann et al., 2004)."

Posted by: Phlog ( )
Date: March 09, 2023 07:26AM

Why even separate weights in boxing? We could have all the heavyweights fighting the bantams.

Posted by: blackcoatsdaughter ( )
Date: March 09, 2023 08:32AM

I have such a hard time with conversations regarding sports, particularly when concerning any controversies(like performance enhancing drugs, transgender placement, women vs men, concussions and injuries, etc.). Because on the one hand, I see the passion of sports fans and athletes and I get it, in the way of "ah, good for you. I'm so glad you have found something you really enjoy at that level."

But at the same time, seeing guys screaming in their living room at a tv screen or an athlete getting an injury that merely means they can no longer play the sport anymore (but otherwise, their quality of life is perfectly fine for doing anything else) and crying about never being able to play again; and I think "what is wrong with you?"

I just don't have enough enjoyment or empathy for sports to be able to adequately have a conversation about it. My solutions all feel so stupidly obvious ("why don't you just do something else? Seriously, you can't throw a ball anymore/be a woman boxer and yet you can't find a new dream?") yet I understand there is something critical I am missing about the passion and drive someone could have for sports. I can't get rid of the blindspot though, even knowing that it exists.

Date: March 09, 2023 09:40AM

I agree. Our priorities are totally askew when it comes to sports. In nearly every state in America the #1 highest paid public employee is the head football coach of the state University football team. Not the Governor or the President of the University. #2 is typically the coach of the rival team. #3 is the basketball coach and #4 is his rival. Only in Massachusetts is that not true where the head of a university hospital is the highest paid. Of course Boston has 180 universities, nearly all private.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: March 09, 2023 11:45AM

I agree with you and blackcoats. Our priorities are so bizarre and messed up.

We still like to have our gladiators out there trying to kill each other but at least we pay them for the entertainment. Eye roll.

Date: March 09, 2023 11:06PM

The crazy thing is we all know 99% of pro football players end up with traumatic brain injuries, yet it remains, by far, the most popular spectator sport in America. And since 70% of NFL players are black, we all know we are just sending mainly black athletes out there to get brain damaged, just so fat American couch potatoes can high five each other while stuffing their faces with copious amounts of beer and snacks!
Nothing could be more grossly racist.

https://www.militarytimes.com/pay-benefits/military-benefits/health-care/2022/06/09/brain-disease-affecting-pro-football-players-appears-to-be-rare-in-the-military-study-suggests/

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: March 10, 2023 03:05AM

Nobody is holding a gun to anyone’s head to make them play football. People CHOOSE to play it. For everyone who’s playing in the NFL or on a big college team there are lot’s of people who wish it was them. Racist? You either make the cut or you don’t. There’s no quotas or affirmative action in football. You get picked because you have the skills and ability.

Posted by: One ( )
Date: March 10, 2023 03:31AM

dagny Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I agree with you and blackcoats. Our priorities
> are so bizarre and messed up.
>
> We still like to have our gladiators out there
> trying to kill each other but at least we pay them
> for the entertainment. Eye roll.

To quote James Caan as a football coach in the movies: "100,000 people don't fill up a stadium to watch a kid take a Chemistry Test".

Posted by: One ( )
Date: March 10, 2023 03:29AM

blackcoatsdaughter Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I have such a hard time with conversations
> regarding sports, particularly when concerning any
> controversies(like performance enhancing drugs,
> transgender placement, women vs men, concussions
> and injuries, etc.). Because on the one hand, I
> see the passion of sports fans and athletes and I
> get it, in the way of "ah, good for you. I'm so
> glad you have found something you really enjoy at
> that level."
>
> But at the same time, seeing guys screaming in
> their living room at a tv screen or an athlete
> getting an injury that merely means they can no
> longer play the sport anymore (but otherwise,
> their quality of life is perfectly fine for doing
> anything else) and crying about never being able
> to play again; and I think "what is wrong with
> you?"
>
> I just don't have enough enjoyment or empathy for
> sports to be able to adequately have a
> conversation about it. My solutions all feel so
> stupidly obvious ("why don't you just do something
> else? Seriously, you can't throw a ball anymore/be
> a woman boxer and yet you can't find a new
> dream?") yet I understand there is something
> critical I am missing about the passion and drive
> someone could have for sports. I can't get rid of
> the blindspot though, even knowing that it exists.

-------------------

Think of it in terms of someone who spends years of schooling to get into a specialty and then has a crippling or disabling disease and can no longer practice or work in that field.

With athletes there is limited time to be good enough to compete.

This is why top trainers and athletes generally recommend AGAINST 2 year missions. Few come back to a great career after taking that much time off.

Posted by: blackcoatsdaughter ( )
Date: March 10, 2023 08:42AM

Yeah, on paper, I said, I get it. I understand passion.

I, personally, can't get away from the nagging thought, "...but it's just a game." There is no amount of analogies you could make to get me to see it as important as they take it.

Like, for instance, there was a transgender woman who was in some sort of boxing or fighting type sport, who made headlines a few years back because she was breaking the faces of her female competitors in the ring. I don't remember the details, I just remember it was a hot topic for a while because her cis gendered female competitors were getting brutally injured by her in the ring. Like the conversation specifically revolved around where to place her and whether or not it was fair for her to fight other women.

I can't help thinking of what it must be like to be her. What decisions would I make? So, here I am, living the dream life of being accepted as a woman, and my extra dream, my passion, is boxing. And I want to compete with other women, like me, so that I'm not excluded. But I am so good, I end up giving my competitors brain damage or they go to the hospital afterwards and need facial reconstruction surgery after what I did to them. Whatever.

I can't imagine being in that spot, being so obsessed with what is essentially a game, to figure out that I am hurting people when I do it and to think to myself, "Well...yeah but I want to be a female boxer, though." Do you get what I'm saying? Like, I can't empathize with that moral and ethical conflict and putting the priority on my own ability to play the game. After the first time I sent another woman to the hospital, I'd retire. Maybe start up a dojo to teach neighbor kids how to kick box or something. You know, give back.

It is the same with injuries in these sports. I can't imagine being so obsessed with it that I'd put my body in so much risk or even get so upset, like life is over if I couldn't PLAY A GAME.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.