Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: T-Bone ( )
Date: March 09, 2023 12:08AM

I really can't stand it when people call any church "the" church. There are just so many out there.

So when I lived in Utah, and a Mormon would say something like, "Well, the church says..." I would always stop them and ask, "Which church? There are so many of them."

They had to stop and think for a second. They usually lose their train of thought.

Yes, I realize that when the topic is agreed upon, using "the"
is correct. But when they try to interject their religion into a conversation, when up until that point it was a perfectly rational conversation, it grates on my nerves.

Using "the" gives something way too much importance. The sun, the moon, the Queen, etc.

They need to be put on notice that interjecting religion into a conversation where it is out of place is not welcome.

Try it, it's fun.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: March 09, 2023 12:41AM

And here I thought you were going to say your wit and good looks :)

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: March 09, 2023 06:21AM

The dust, the squeegee, the fingerprints, the eggshell.

I don’t think “the” implies importance, just specificity.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: March 09, 2023 09:46AM

That’s the truth! But seriously, the article creates distance between the observer and the object.

”The” blacks are different than blacks, “the Jews” are different from Jews, “the” gays from gays.

And “the” church indicates that everyone knows, or should know, which church is the reference.

In the first cases the distance means the object people need to be considered distinct, inviting the question of why. In the latter, the distance implies authority or at least power that is obvious, beyond question.

So depending on context, “the” can indeed enhance or erode moral qualities. It functions as an implied adjective.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: March 09, 2023 10:35AM

Do you mean the church, or The Church™?

:-) :-) :-)

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: March 09, 2023 11:06AM

I like it, T-Bone. Nice to see them off balance if only for a moment.

Made me consider the provenance of the word "the" which actually I have considered before and it does give significance I would aver.

All I can find for provenance is some olde English stuff that seems like a guess to me.

My theory is that it came about along with the words, thee, thine and thou. Seems like part of the set. And as all those words do, it says what is to follow is divine though perhaps they started out as commoners.

When someone accentuates the "the" rather than the noun to follow, we see the power behind the throne. The subject matter to follow is preceded by a herald--the. There are many ways to say "the". Just ask Meryl.

They know about the other churches but they also know the others do not have the fullness of the gospel and other churches are not deserving of the THE. It's hard to take when no one realizes you are special.

Now shall we discuss the definition of the word "is"?

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: March 11, 2023 01:06AM

I've piled on "the church" in public places and been told "be careful, someone might hear you"...to which I answer, I f#$#%$ hope so...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/11/2023 01:07AM by Lethbridge Reprobate.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: March 11, 2023 07:07AM

>> Using "the" gives something way too much importance. The sun, the moon, the Queen, etc.

Well, to be fair, the sun is by far the most important star to humanity. Proxima Centauri and Tau Ceti don't even come close. And it's not like our moon has any siblings.

I grew up in the Roman Catholic church, which has had its own problems with arrogance over the millennia. Even then, growing up in the 60s and 70s, I would say it was starting to lose the arrogant attitude. I never remember hearing "the church," and it was never felt (by that time,) that Protestants were in the "wrong" church. You will hear Catholics saying, "the Pope," because really, how many popes are there? It could be true that in more heavily Catholic countries, Catholics might say, "the church" -- I really don't know about that.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.