Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: tensolator ( )
Date: March 12, 2023 04:37PM

About a year ago, after I had not returned to church post COVID, I get a pounding on my front door. After my first COVID recovery I usually become exhausted by 3:00 PM. Being a Sunday the pounding woke me from a nice enough nap. It was 1:30 PM if I remember. I thought if I stayed very still the knocking would leave. But my Alsatians went wild and my wife was asleep I assumed. I did not want her disturbed.

I opened the door.

There stood 3 men. There was no gold, frankincense or myrrh. I knew one, and in my post slumber disorientation the gentleman I knew asked if they could come in. The other two asked if I could put the Alsatians out. I did, mistake.

The puts in the middle was the EQP. What a dick. He comes in and immediately starts grilling me about church attendance. Or lack of.

My wife wanders downstairs. The rapper did wake her up. Most of the heated conversation I have forgotten, but a strange verbal sequence took place.

The EQP asked, "How are your daughters?". Great I replied. They are. Each one is well educated. They have given us beautiful grandchildren. My son-in-laws are excellent. One is headed to law school soon. One is an IT genius. One a school counselor. Two more graduate within the year.

Imagine my, " What the...?" moment when EQP replied with, "Really? are they really OK?".

Finally I snapped out of post nap to offense. I let him know he knew nothing. When I told him my girl and her husband had just attended the ward THAT morning you could tell he did not know sh!t from shineola.

Finally Mr. Righteous finally leaves. My wife looks at me and says, "You let him talk to you like that?". When I get angry she tells me to be calm, when road rage trickles in, be calm, do not get angry. I did not know sh!t from shineola apaarently.

The kicker, the next evening the gentleman called. He wanted to come over. He did. He apologized. He apologized for the EQP who could not make it due to home evening. What a laid that was.

I know I have a more in my eye. But I do not believe I am nasty like EQP was that afternoon. I should have turned the dogs loose.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/12/2023 04:39PM by tensolator.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: summer ( )
Date: March 12, 2023 04:59PM

You do realize that you don't have to let them in? I would have told the man that you are in post-Covid recovery, that you need extra sleep in the form of naps, and that his unannounced, impromptu visits have prevented you from getting the necessary sleep time. Tell him to stop coming by without a previously arranged appointment (...and if necessary, that appointments should not be expected.) Start sticking up for yourself and your family!

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: March 12, 2023 05:04PM

...that old saying, "it's all grist for the mill..."

Grist: (noun)
1) grain that is ground to make flour.
2) useful material, especially to back up an argument.

"I like your mormons. I do not like your mormonism's leaders. Mormonism's leaders are so unlike your mormons."

--Judic Mahatma West, Assistant Bel Canto, Shropshire Downs

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: March 12, 2023 05:13PM

On the plus side, at least one of those three is not completely without shame. He may be joining you in leaving the church eventually.

I have a friend in a SoCal stake where the stake presidency is very concerned about the number of people who have not resumed attendance post-pandemic. Sounds like your local leaders are very concerned as well. Although, implying that you are damaging your children's eternal reward is pretty heavy-handed and clumsy, as guilt trips go. Your leaders must be feeling rattled. Their behavior reeks of panic.

Posted by: I ( )
Date: March 13, 2023 11:24PM

Never open the door to Mormons
Especially when busy or out of it

That's what the fence, sign, porch, camera, dog, lock, or all of the above are for.

Always require an appointment
Still, it's a disappointment

ALWAYS lead the conversation
ESPECIALLY in your house

Never discuss "church" (that's what "church" is for)

Discuss things in common, or uniting, or outside their wheelhouse or ask them if there is anything you can do for them, or simply turn them away at the door.

They come for one thing. To take something from the visit. They should come with gifts and be respectful - and not eavesdrop or report to the devil... or not come at all

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: March 15, 2023 07:16PM

haven't gone back post COVID. I never thought I'd see the day. Other than our disabled brother, she is the last of the siblings and her children and grandchildren to leave the church. I haven't heard any tales from her about any leaders, but if some come by, I'll hear about it.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.