Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: metatron ( )
Date: March 13, 2023 06:51PM

...I think, "Wow! Cool lilac tree!" if I have time to really notice what it looks like, and if it happens to be in bloom. But there aren't too many lilac trees in my neighborhood, and I am usually in a hurry to get somewhere whenever I'm outside, and lilac trees don't bloom year round, so they just don't pop up on my "Wow That's Beautiful!" radar. But yeah I think lilacs are decent.

How about you?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: metatron ( )
Date: March 13, 2023 06:51PM

here is a comment that I posted on accident, and which I do not see any way of deleting.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/13/2023 06:52PM by metatron.

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: March 13, 2023 07:54PM

A very happy accident. Who doesn't want to talk about lilacs on a sunny afternoon in March? :)

For future reference, no, you can't delete yourself but you could go back and edit out a comment or post if you really want to.

Alternatively, you can contact Admin to ask them to delete your post entirely for you.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: March 13, 2023 06:56PM

I love lilacs, love the scent. I would like to plant some this year.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: March 13, 2023 07:01PM

I know what you mean. Since I retired, I've been gardening a bit. I've always stopped to look at flowers. Lilacs and roses especially make me stop in my track to go see and sniff. As a kid I had to stop and examine every bug and flower.

I usually have to walk up to the first lilac I see blooming each year. They are so beautiful. They don't bloom very long and they fade fast. I try to make a point to pick a bloom or two. I like the deep purple best. I stick them near my nose to enjoy the scent (not recommended if you didn't check for bugs). Two years ago I planted a small one in my back yard. I can hardly wait to see it bloom.

Posted by: shortbobgirl ( )
Date: March 13, 2023 07:26PM

I have a beautiful Korean lilac tree in my front yard. I love it.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: March 13, 2023 07:29PM

North or South Korean?

Date: March 13, 2023 09:16PM

No clue, the landscaper didn’t tell me

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: March 13, 2023 09:41PM

Then off the bridge you go!

Date: March 13, 2023 08:56PM

Swoon.

My all-time favourite blossom in life is the lilac. I'm with dagny on the best colour too - the deep purple.

Every Spring I go on the Great Lilac Hunt to find the best tree or bush.

Sadly, there are fewer and fewer as Construction is the Name of the Game now and new builds are creeping right up to the sidewalks. Gone are the frontages where the lilacs bloomed free.

There is absolutely no replacement for the real thing as all the smart people in the world have to date not been able to come close to reproducing inside a perfume bottle the scent that wafts on the air from a lilac tree in all its glory.

Thanks for the tip about the bugs, dagny. I'll likely never get that image out of my mind now though of eagerly bending over to enjoy a whiff and sucking a big fat bug up inside my head. Or would it fall out of your mouth? Yee-Ukk. Either way.

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: March 13, 2023 09:07PM

If there's a lilac bush anywhere near me, I'll be the one standing there with my head in the bush, inhaling deeply. It's my favourite scent in the world. And yeah, they're not around long enough. It'll be awhile before we see any lilac bushes around here though. Like June. LOL

Date: March 13, 2023 09:27PM

In the mid-60s, was there a popular perfume with a lilac base?

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: March 13, 2023 10:17PM

for mother's day when they were quite small. There are a lot of lilacs around here and the Brigham City Cemetery is surrounded by lilac bushes.

They are beautiful and, yes, they smell wonderful. Too bad they don't last longer. With all our snow, I wonder how they'll do this year.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: March 13, 2023 11:06PM

My wife and I planted all our trees and shrubs when we built our dream home and farmyard 45 years ago....and she insisted on lilac hedges on the north and south boundaries. The bees love them and they are beautiful when they're blooming. They remind me of my beloved wife every year when the bloom.

Date: March 13, 2023 11:12PM

Sweet, LR.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: March 14, 2023 05:53AM

Truly beautiful. For a crusty old farmer, LR has a touch of the poet in him.

Posted by: mad alice ( )
Date: March 14, 2023 01:08AM

I planted 8 varieties of lilac in the back corner of my acre yard. When they bloom, my granddaughter comes over and we pick armloads of bouquets. We take them around and give them to any neighbors that want them. It's a fun spring thing we do.

I fell in love with lilacs when I was 10. I lived in Portland and had to stop at a bus stop to wait for the one to catch going up to the dental school. There was a lilac garden by the bus stop. It was pure heaven. I knew that someday I'd have a space where I could plant lilacs that beautiful.

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: March 14, 2023 04:00AM

I have a deep purple lilac for Nightingale ;-) but it only flowers in alternate years. I don't know why.

On another note, if you're the "mad alice" who used to post here, welcome back, it's nice to see you :-D

I always liked your posts.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/14/2023 04:00AM by Soft Machine.

Posted by: Roy G Biv ( )
Date: March 14, 2023 02:16PM

I love lilacs too. There was one in the front yard of our property when we bought the house we're in now. When my wife's mom lived with us for the last 4+ years of her life, we planted another one outside her bedroom window so she could see it from her bed. She died about a year ago and my wife sprinkled a few of her ashes around that lilac. Its a nice reminder of her and nice to know a little but of her is in there, growing with the lilacs.

I think my favorite is honeysuckle though. I put in a trellis about 20 feet long and 10 feet high and planted honeysuckle on it. When it blooms, the sweet smell wafts through the breeze way off the garage and across the back yard. It makes a nice privacy barrier too between us and the one neighbor we have near our house. I hope they enjoy the smell too. I'm planning on extending the trellis and planting more this year.

Date: March 14, 2023 05:06PM

We had honeysuckle across the back of the yard when I was a kid. Loved it.

Posted by: fossilman ( )
Date: March 14, 2023 03:03PM

I love lilacs. They are wonderful to see and smell. But you can't grow them here in the deep south. I've replaced them with gardenias. They are white, but with a wonderful aroma that always reminds me of my home where I grew up.

Date: March 14, 2023 03:57PM

This is shaping up to be my all-time favourite RfM thread!

So what a happy 'accident' it is.

I love it when we catch a glimpse of different sides of fellow posters. Artistic, sensitive, interesting, knowledgeable, poetic.

Thank you all for this Lovely Lilac Adventure in the midst of an otherwise pretty darn frustrating annoying and altogether irritating week.

Of course, it's only Tuesday. But it already feels like this week has been 10 days long.

Another thing about lilacs: their Latin name (Syringa vulgaris for the purple lilac) is atrocious, especially for such a lovely bloom and enticing scent.

From a poem by Lida C. Tullock:

"Oh, Lilacs! common you may be,
But always beautiful to me!
For do you not recall
Those halcyon days of early youth,
When life seemed naught but hope and truth,
And love illumined all."

From context, by "common" she meant abundant in quantity.

I wish I could say the same for my neck of the woods, from which the lilacs have been nearly totally expunged - sadly a casualty of the house-building frenzy that voraciously consumes every square inch of land.

No room to bloom.

Lucky New Hampshire:

http://www.cowhampshireblog.com/2007/04/11/new-hampshire-state-flower-purple-lilac-syringa-vulgaris/

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/14/2023 03:59PM by Nightingale.

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: March 14, 2023 04:50PM

Date: March 14, 2023 05:20PM

Indeed it is.

"...life seemed naught but hope and truth,
And love illumined all"

And then we grew up.

Or something like that.

Date: March 14, 2023 06:59PM

So I reminded myself of Adele's song When We Were Young:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDWKuo3gXMQ

This comment under the video gave me a good laugh:

"Adele always makes me miss my boyfriend that doesn't exist."

Posted by: ookami ( )
Date: March 14, 2023 04:07PM

We had a lilac tree in one of our yards growing up. I always like the look and smell of the blossoms.

Date: March 14, 2023 07:35PM

I'm enjoying this thread too. I have a honeysuckle (red flowers) in my yard. It's always full of birds and pollinators. I remember as a kid in CA looking for honeysuckle flowers so I could pull off the stem and suck out a tiny drop of nectar.

I also grew up around gardenias which also had a wonderful scent. In church, as a Beehive girl in Primary, we had to make a flower to represent us for our sash. I made a white gardenia because my mom decided it represented purity. Sigh. I saw them in Alabama a lot but not here in Idaho much. I miss them.

The other plant I've loved as a kid was the pussy willow. I was always picking off some of the soft little furry catkins to rub against my cheeks. They were like having tiny pets. Even now I can't help but stop touch them when I see them.

I also liked cattails when I was young. I sneaked some into the house. One day they popped open and made a giant mess with seeds everywhere. I never forgave them.

So many favorite plants, so little time. Thanks for sharing.

Date: March 14, 2023 07:43PM

Date: March 14, 2023 07:58PM

I'll bet you were a regular Dennis the Menace and blew seeds into Mr. Wilson's yard!

I made daisy chain necklaces from dandelion flowers and many wishes blowing the seeds!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.