Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: March 19, 2023 04:27PM

https://www.thechurchnews.com/living-faith/2023/3/19/23640818/in-case-you-missed-it-president-nelson-to-receive-gandhi-king-mandela-peace-prize-plus-7-stories

Excerpts:

“Historically Black college in Atlanta honors President Nelson for his global efforts to abandon attitudes and actions of prejudice through nonviolent ways.”

“Next month President Nelson will receive the first Gandhi-King-Mandela Peace Prize from the Martin Luther King Jr. International Chapel at Morehouse College, a historically Black school in Atlanta.”

“The prize — named for Mahatma Gandhi, Martin Luther King Jr. and Nelson Mandela — is awarded to “a person who promotes positive social transformation through nonviolent means. The individuals use their global leadership to affirm peace, justice, diversity and pluralism,” according to a news release about the award.”

“The 98-year-old President of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints was selected as the inaugural recipient of this award “for his global efforts in ‘abandoning attitudes and actions of prejudice against any group of God’s children’ through nonviolent ways.”

“Oil portraits of President Nelson and former U.S. President Abraham Lincoln will be inducted into the Hall of Honor in the King chapel. Their portraits will hang alongside more than 150 portraits of other civil and human rights leaders.”

-----

Really?

Alternate universe.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: March 19, 2023 04:28PM

Appalling.

Date: March 19, 2023 04:32PM

I thought I had stumbled onto the Onion unawares.

I checked three times. It appears to be actually true.

Colour me completely dumbstruck.

Gandhi. King. Mandela. Lincoln. And Nelson?

Does. Not. Compute.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: March 19, 2023 04:37PM

Oh, brother.

Posted by: Clifton ( )
Date: March 21, 2023 08:15PM

...I would have expected nothing different. Throw in the endorsement of Mandela's wife, too. "Necklacing for all disfellowshipped Mormons"....

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: March 19, 2023 04:38PM

And how did he accomplish that, I might ask?

Date: March 19, 2023 04:51PM

summer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> And how did he accomplish that, I might ask?

From the Article:

"The Rev. Lawrence Carter, dean of the Martin Luther King Jr. International Chapel at Morehouse, told the Deseret News more about why President Nelson was selected by the chapel board of directors for the Gandhi-King-Mandela Peace Prize.

“We wanted to identify Russell M. Nelson and link his name with these three giants,” the Rev. Carter said.

“President Nelson is, I believe, a role model for how Christians need to get out of three boxes — the race box, the nationality box and the culture box — to unite the human family,” he said. “With the power of his prophetic, revelational vision, he looked out across great troubles in this country and saw the chance to form an alliance [with the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People].”

Words actually fail me.

A most unusual phenomenon.

Date: March 19, 2023 04:58PM

Someone didn't do their homework and only listened to church fluff.

Or...

Some lucky school got a little donation or "gift" of some type.

Or...

Someone is a Mormon convert and embarrassed themselves with this recommendation.

Or...

Someone in Georgia is clueless that Mormons elect people like Mike Lee who are against everything a place like Morehouse College fights for.

Date: March 19, 2023 05:15PM

From The Atlantic, 2017:

Excerpts of a discussion between Emma Green, staff writer at The New Yorker and Max Perry Mueller, a historian at the University of Nebraska at Lincoln:

When Mormons Aspired to Be a ‘White and Delightsome’ People

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2017/09/mormons-race-max-perry-mueller/539994/

(Please ignore the political references in the article. They do help to explain some of the points made in the discussion but no politics at RfM! I'm focusing just on the topic of racism in Mormonism history, scriptures, teachings and practices).

Green: “Conflicts over race in the Mormon Church have lasted well into the 20th and 21st centuries. Black men were allowed to become priests only starting in the 1970s, and black men and women could not participate in sacred Mormon temple rites until that point. The Mormon Church didn’t repudiate its past teachings on race until 2013.

“Why did it take so long for these reforms to emerge?”

Mueller: “When Mormons disavow their past, it’s not simply disavowing institutional history. It’s pointing out what’s wrong with past leaders. Because of continuing revelation—the Mormon belief that their leaders are speaking messages directly from God—it’s really hard to disavow the prophets. If you start disavowing the prophets of the past, that undercuts the whole premise that God provides revelations to his people in the present day.”

Green: “The LDS Church historically encouraged its members to buy Native American slaves or to adopt native children and raise them in their homes. The latter practice extended into the 1990s with a program called the Indian Student Placement Program.

“What do you make of these practices, exactly? Were they racist?”

Green: “In recent years, other conservative religious groups have pushed for what they call “racial reconciliation.” Are there similar efforts in the Mormon context?"

Mueller: “Their version of racial reconciliation is what I call “multicultural Mormonism.” There was an ad campaign called “I’m a Mormon” from 2011 to 2012. This was explicitly presenting a multicultural face of Mormonism to the world: multicultural, multinational, multilingual. The Church acknowledged that it did have a problem as a white Church.”

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: March 19, 2023 10:38PM

Get out of the race box and into the tithing box!

I mean, that's the only way to end the cycle of poverty, right?

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: March 20, 2023 06:36AM

"Christians need to get out of three boxes — the race box, the nationality box and the culture box"

How about getting out of the Mormon box?

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: March 19, 2023 05:05PM

There is speculation that the donor of this lofty award needed money and came up with the idea of "let's make up a glorious sounding award, and then see if we can sell it to someone in the public arena with a serious ego problem."

And if they were clever, they first contacted Wendy. . .

I bet that after this "inaugural award", they'll award this honor however often they can get a buyer, and they're hoping it's weekly.

Posted by: Humberto ( )
Date: March 19, 2023 05:11PM

If you're a leader of a group representing a marginalized people, and there is another group who has a history of persecution against your group but has claimed a change of heart, wouldn't it be useful to capitalize on the guilt of the repentant?

But I can see the argument that this may be a step too large...

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: March 19, 2023 07:12PM

This is the guy who excludes about slightly more than 50% of church members from church leadership or even meaningful participation...

How Fitting !!

award determined by a shill Jeopardy! writer.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/19/2023 07:42PM by GNPE.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: March 19, 2023 07:44PM

You can buy anything with money.

Posted by: Dallin Ox ( )
Date: March 19, 2023 07:49PM

"the first Gandhi-King-Mandela Peace Prize"

So Morehouse conjured up a brand new award, no doubt after a sizable contribution from LDS, Inc. (The college already has a Gandhi-King-Ikeda Institute.)

IOW, the church bought itself a participation trophy, very similar to that bronze Joseph Smith statue in India last November.

I can't find anything on this other than the usual Mormonista PR outlets. No one outside of Mormonburg cares.

Gandhi, King, Mandela, Nelson.
"One of these things is not like the others, one of these things doesn't belong…"

Posted by: schrodingerscat ( )
Date: March 19, 2023 08:55PM

Amazing what a few well placed billions will buy you!

Posted by: blindguy ( )
Date: March 19, 2023 10:31PM

I suppose the most recent U.S. president was unavailable?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/20/2023 06:47AM by blindguy.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: March 19, 2023 10:33PM

Best line of the day.

Date: March 19, 2023 10:45PM

They just completely discredited that award.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: March 19, 2023 11:54PM

Who cares. Time to move on. They could make Russ Mr.Universe and I wouldn't care. Most these awards have become a joke anyways.

Posted by: tensolator ( )
Date: March 26, 2023 08:31PM

Rubicon Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Who cares. Time to move on. They could make Russ
> Mr.Universe and I wouldn't care. Most these awards
> have become a joke anyways.

You see, at 98, with unlimited resources, Russell "Don't Say Mormon" Nelson, just might win Mr. Universe.

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: March 20, 2023 02:03AM

Please tell me the people responsible for giving this award are unaware of the church policy to ask preteens about sex?

Date: March 20, 2023 03:28AM

I declare the award meaningless since the selection of RMN is a travesty.

In other news, the whole entire world has gone insane - bonkers - cuckoo.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: March 23, 2023 06:24PM

Give one to Joel Olsteen.

Date: March 23, 2023 10:32PM

https://universe.byu.edu/2023/03/15/president-nelson-named-the-inaugural-recipient-of-the-gandhi-king-mandela-peace-prize/

Daily Universe reports on the inaugural peace prize going to the CULT Leader,”The statement cites President Nelson’s 2020 social media post as a contributor to his receiving the award. The Facebook post, shared shortly after the death of George Floyd, called upon all people to “abandon attitudes of prejudice against any group of God’s children” and asked those who have prejudice toward another race to repent.

“We need to foster a fundamental respect for the human dignity of every human soul, regardless of their color, creed, or cause. And we need to work tirelessly to build bridges of understanding rather than creating walls of segregation,” President Nelson wrote. “I plead with us to work together for peace, for mutual respect, and for an outpouring of love for all of God’s children.”

So Moorehouse U gave this prize based upon a gaslighting FB post?
Where he ‘asked those who have prejudice toward another race to repent.’

How could Mormons NOT have prejudice toward another race when they read racist scriptures everyday and sing the praises of the racist who elevated common 19th C racist myths to ‘revelation from God’ where they remain?

Posted by: subeamnotlogedin ( )
Date: March 26, 2023 02:16PM

“Tithing breaks the poverty cycle” that statement alone is not peaceful.

Date: March 26, 2023 04:01PM

That statement is absurd. Giving away money is not how one gets out of poverty for cripes sakes.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: March 26, 2023 05:34PM

They aren't "giving it away"!!!

They are simply buying blessings.  Incredible blessings!  It says so, in the bible!

Who you going to believe, huh?!?  The bible or your lying eyes?

Posted by: Prince Caspian ( )
Date: March 26, 2023 08:05PM

Date: March 26, 2023 09:27PM

{{Groan}}

:)

Date: March 26, 2023 10:05PM

3rd world countries should PROHIBIT CHARITY $ LEAVING !!@@

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.