Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: March 20, 2023 01:12PM

My wife and I watched it last night. It was profoundly disturbing to both of us given our history. I can't really have any sort of objective take. Too emotionally charging for me.

What do other people think of it?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: March 20, 2023 01:26PM

I do plan on watching it. It's one of those movies I normally tend to avoid because I can tell it will make me sad. I'd like to see Fraser's acting.

Posted by: tumwater ( )
Date: March 20, 2023 01:33PM

Haven't seen it and isn't on my list to watch.

But imdb.com seems to back up your feelings about the movie.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt13833688/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: March 20, 2023 04:19PM

I had an aunt who was that size, She may not have been quite as large, but she was definitely in the ballpark. Her husband was skinny, and always had a pitcher of iced tea at lunch, which my family usually had with them when we visited.

She was the only person in that large Mormon family who was more than the level of "I'd like to lose a few pounds" overweight.

There were only 2 wedding gifts that I still remember after all these years (and, incidentally, still have) and her's was one of them - a lovely hand pieced quilt. It was in the "oh, wow" category. All the more impressive because the family was dirt poor. When I was a kid they still had an outhouse, a hand operated water pump on the back porch, and still farmed strawberries using a mule to plow. Tin roof on the house, that was up on blocks off the ground. No foundation. The dog stayed under the house, where it was cooler. I was fascinated by the whole experience of visiting there.

She was in the hospital once for her weight, and her daughter was caught smuggling food to her. There was a woman in the movie who was talking care of the main character who was working desperately to keep him alive, but also buying him his favorite sandwiches. I didn't get a sense that she was sabotaging his recovery. She wanted him to be happy, and the sandwiches helped. That was one of the interesting threads in the movie.

BTW, my aunt, I think somewhere between 350 and 400 lb, lived into her late 70s before congestive heart failure got her. Most of the rest of the family lived to about 90. A couple of them are still alive in their 90s. Good genes.

The main theme of the movie (not a spoiler - this becomes obvious early on) is that the protagonist is likely dying, and wants to re-establish a relationship with his now college-age daughter, who is monumentally pissed at him for leaving her and her mother to take up with a gay lover.

I think most people's initial reaction is revulsion, and how could I ever be sympathetic to this character? By the end, you are sympathetic. I perhaps more than most, because I had some lived experience that was similar.

Anyway, tear-jerker, but worth all the attention it got at the Oscars.

Date: March 21, 2023 12:40PM

That's just what I was looking for thanks.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: March 20, 2023 09:09PM

I thought of watching it. Not sure I can handle it. OH NO! To take up with a gay lover.

Now I might just have to.

Date: March 21, 2023 12:39PM

It hits closer to home with me. You might find it a useful watch. There is a tender part with the ex-wife.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.