Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: March 20, 2023 02:11PM

Mormons and White "Christian" Nationalists ("Nat-Cs" who used to be bitter rivals, but have now buried the theological hatchet to achieve common goals) are dying off and younger people are not joining their ranks.

The big problem for Mormons is this: as Mormonism once again shinks to become a Utah / Mountain West centric cult, what will happen when the number of non-white overseas followers outnumber those in North America? As they won't have any power, will they break away and form their own group and take their dollars with them?

For Nat-Cs, this is driving them to abandon democracy and towards extremes like authoritarian rule, fascist dictatorship, and/or terrorism.

https://www.prri.org/spotlight/prri-2022-american-values-atlas-religious-affiliation-updates-and-trends/

The 2022 Census of American Religion update is part of an annual update to PRRI’s groundbreaking 2020 Census of American Religion, the first study to provide reliable county-level religious affiliation data. To see the 2021 Census of American Religion update, click here.

As part of PRRI’s 2022 American Values Atlas, a random sample of 40,000 respondents from the Ipsos KnowledgePanel shows that most trends in religious affiliation moved little between 2021 and 2022. Notably, the proportion of white Christians in the country has remained steady, at 42%, after a long decline from 72% in 1990 to 42% in 2018. In 2020 and 2021 the share of white Christians in the country bumped up to 44% before returning to its current rate. The proportion of those who are religiously unaffiliated has ticked up again, to 27%, after rising from 16% in 2006 to nearly 26% in 2018, which was followed by a brief downward dip to 23% in 2020.

The 2022 Census of American Religion update is part of an annual update to PRRI’s groundbreaking 2020 Census of American Religion, the first study to provide reliable county-level religious affiliation data. To see the 2021 Census of American Religion update, click here.

As part of PRRI’s 2022 American Values Atlas, a random sample of 40,000 respondents from the Ipsos KnowledgePanel shows that most trends in religious affiliation moved little between 2021 and 2022. Notably, the proportion of white Christians in the country has remained steady, at 42%, after a long decline from 72% in 1990 to 42% in 2018. In 2020 and 2021 the share of white Christians in the country bumped up to 44% before returning to its current rate. The proportion of those who are religiously unaffiliated has ticked up again, to 27%, after rising from 16% in 2006 to nearly 26% in 2018, which was followed by a brief downward dip to 23% in 2020.

An additional quarter of the country (25%) is composed of Christians of color, meaning Christians who are Black, Hispanic, Asian American, Native American, multiracial, or any other race or ethnicity. This figure is essentially unchanged from the preceding few years. The remaining 6% of Americans belong to a different religion. This group includes those who are Jewish, Muslim, Hindu, Buddhist, Unitarian Universalist, or belong to any other world religion. This proportion has also remained steady over the past few years.

The white Christian portion of the U.S. adult population includes 14% who are white evangelical Protestant, 14% who are white mainline (non-evangelical) Protestant, 13% who are white Catholic, and small proportions of white Latter-Day Saints, Jehovah’s Witnesses, and Orthodox Christians. The proportion of white evangelical Protestants in the population steadily declined starting in 2006 (when they made up 23% of the population) before settling at about 14% over the past few years. White mainline (non-evangelical) Protestants and white Catholics accounted for similar portions of the population in 2022, at 14% and 13%, respectively. Both these groups have declined as a proportion of the population since 2006, when they were at 18% and 16%, respectively. However, these drop-offs of roughly four percentage points are less pronounced than the nine-percentage-point decline in white evangelical Protestant affiliation. The religiously unaffiliated category has absorbed much of the fall-off.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2023/03/19/poll-religion-christian-white/

You might find it strange that a large segment of the Republican base thinks Whites are the true victims of racism and that Christians are under attack. After all, America’s biggest racial group is still Whites; the most common religious affiliation remains Christianity. Whites and Christians dominate elected office at all levels, the judiciary and corporate America. What’s the problem?

Well, there is a straightforward reason for the freak-out, and an explanation for why former president Donald Trump developed such a close bond with white Christian nationalists.

This group feels besieged because they are losing ground. “The newly-released 2022 supplement to the PRRI Census of American Religion — based on over 40,000 interviews conducted last year — confirms that the decline of white Christians (Americans who identify as white, non-Hispanic and Christian of any kind) as a proportion of the population continues unabated,” writes Robert P. Jones, president of the Public Religion Research Institute. “As recently as 2008, when our first Black president was elected, the U.S. was a majority (54%) white Christian country.” By 2014 the number had dropped to 47 percent, and in 2022 it stood at 42 percent.

The group that has declined the most is at the core of the MAGA movement, the group most devoted to Christian nationalism. “White evangelical Protestants have experienced the steepest decline. As recently as 2006, white evangelical Protestants comprised nearly one-quarter of Americans (23%). By the time of Trump’s rise to power, their numbers had dipped to 16.8%,” Jones explains. “Today, white evangelical Protestants comprise only 13.6% of Americans.”

And that decline may yet accelerate, because they skew older than the population as a whole. Put differently, there are far more baby boomers in this group than Generation Z members. White evangelicals are “losing” people with each successive generation. (“White Christian subgroups have each lost approximately half their market share just across the generations who are alive today,” according to Jones.) If your business had lost half its market share, you would be panicking, too.

With those kind of numbers, the responsible thing to do would be to think about “fixing” what’s wrong by adapting to a changing market. Instead, many in this cohort have doubled down, becoming the foot soldiers in the red-hatted MAGA movement. The decline isn’t going to be reversed by angry, gray-haired folks demanding abortion bans and “don’t say gay” bills.

Instead, White evangelicals might look at former “customers” who are abandoning organized religion in droves. “Nearly four in ten Americans ages 18-29 (38%) are religiously unaffiliated, an increase from 34% in 2021," the PRRI census said. "As the cohorts age, the growth in religiously unaffiliated Americans has started to show up more in the 30-49 age category, which is up to 32% unaffiliated from 26% in 2016.”

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: March 20, 2023 02:38PM

The fear of losing power often outweighs the quality of alliances.

The EVs shouldn't wonder why they are losing people. Many high profile EVs allowed themselves to be bought off by the most corrupt people who do everything opposite of what EVs assert to believe. IMO, it has tarnished the good EVs reputation enough that young people see them as hypocrites and people stuck in the past. More young people today live with diversity and see no reason to be fighting it all the time. Never mind a lot of the faith claims are difficult to swallow.

OTOH, I can't understand how Catholicism has survived either, so I'm obviously missing whatever keeps so many folks willing to support them.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: March 20, 2023 03:41PM

I think the generation that will trigger a massive decline in Mormonism has already been born, and may well be old enough to be serving missions now.

I'm not old enough, nor was I close enough to see the decline of Christianity in Europe. But I did see the decline of Catholicism in the NE US up close and personal. It happened in the 1960s, and great was the fall thereof. It was steep and fast. The same thing happened in Quebec, where the Catholic Church ruled with an iron fist. The public education system in Quebec was essentially parochial schools until the 1960s.

Now that is all gone in Quebec. They went from the most conservative province to arguably the most liberal. They pushed legalization of marriage equality. They went from the highest birthrate in Canada to the lowest.

I don't see that happening in Utah, but I would not be totally astonished if it did, at least with respect to involvement in Mormonism, if not a total political reversal.

Mormonism has been taking one hit after another, and at some point the youth are going to rebel and decide this simply is not worth their time and devotion. As I said, I think that time is already here. We should know for sure in ten or twenty years.

As for more foreign Mormons that US-based, I have mixed feelings on that. I think what is driving the youth out of the church is mostly North America-based. I don't really have a sense for how foreign youth born into the church are dealing with Mormonism.

OTOH, I think much of the success of Mormonism overseas is an afterclap of the popularity of the US around d the world after WW II. That popularity is rapidly fading, though our defense of Ukraine may be restoring a bit of the previous luster. I do think Mormon success overseas is closely tied to US popularity overseas, and that is no longer a given.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: March 20, 2023 04:19PM

I think you are right.

We can divide Mormonism into three categories: the US church, the older wave of wealthy converts abroad, and the new wave of poor people abroad.

The older wave, meaning congregations in Europe and East Asia, peaked some decades ago. There are still some communities in the UK, for example, and some other places, but on a continental level the church is moribund.

The new wave of converts in Africa and elsewhere appears to be robust, but those people bring no money and will probably lose faith when they get modern internet access. But even if they remain committed, they cannot sustain an American religion.

The US church is more interesting, and I think you have it about right. On Saturday I chatted with a dear Mormon friend (socially active, complete nonbeliever) about our families--defined as our siblings and their children. In both cases the percentage of our siblings who are still believers is about 20%, those who remain active although they do not in any way believe is perhaps 10-20%, and the rest don't consider themselves Mormon at all. Among the younger generation, truly engaged Mormons run at about 15%.

In short, my generation is probably the last one to go through the excruciating process of leaving the church one at a time. But we did that. And the church hasn't ever had a hold on the hearts of the next generation.

The tide has turned.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: March 20, 2023 04:45PM

The one place where I am still surprised by the strength of Mormonism is in Brazil, where I served a mission. Growth there still seems to be pretty strong. Of course, it was and remains a very pro-American country. When I was there, we tended to get converts that were whole families, and middle to upper-middle class. Those days are certainly over in the USA.

I don't know if that is still the case, but the are still growing at a pretty good clip. When I was there there was 1 stake, hot off the press. Now there are 281.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: March 20, 2023 04:55PM

I'm sure there are exceptions to every generalization I made. It would be interesting to know if current converts are still middle-class and still come disproportionately in families.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: March 20, 2023 04:12PM

There's something to be said about being Brown!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.