Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: metatron ( )
Date: March 20, 2023 02:33PM

First of all, by way of presenting myself, I was very active and obedient and "righteous" as a TBM for 24 years before walking away from mainstream Mormonism in 1993. I was never involved in a polygamous community, and having grown up in Nevermoland, I don't think I was even aware that such communities existed until I was on my mission. Growing up in the 70s, I was told from time to time, or overheard, that polygamy is a righteous institution and that someday it would be restored to the earth, among the Lord's people - the same COJCOLDS of Donnie and Marie and Johnny Miller and Danny White.

Now about the Netflix documentary, "Keep Sweet: Pray and Obey": The final scene of Ep. 4 was so awesome; how all of that FLDS stuff tumbled out the back of that trailer. Or maybe I get too excited about metaphors. I just thought it was awesome. I am _very_ impressed with the women who told their story. Their courage is amazing.

My wife told me about this film and I sat down with her to watch one episode per night for the past four nights. The final episode was heavy and shocking to the extent that I could feel my gut tightening up and the tension building in all of my muscles. We paused the video for a minute, but I wanted to watch to the end. So then we resumed.

Watching the first three episodes, I kept thinking "This cult no longer exists because Warren Jeffs is in prison." And then in that last episode, reality hit me like a brick, as I realized that with Warren speaking his "prophecies" from prison, and some people still eager to hear his every word, the outcome that I had imagined was probably not accurate, and that the abuse of women and girls probably still continues.

I do not know when the final interviews for the show were recorded, and that leads to my questions:

Are there still parents living in Utah whose children are still living in "Zion," i.e. YZF Ranch?

Are there still people who believe Warren Jeffs is their prophet?

Thank you, and thanks to all of those women who spoke out, walked out, or just bolted out of there, especially the one who sat in the courtroom and stared her prophet down.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 03/20/2023 03:01PM by metatron.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: [|] ( )
Date: March 20, 2023 05:08PM

Posted by: metatron ( )
Date: March 20, 2023 10:58PM

:-(

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: March 21, 2023 02:14AM

Sam Bateman was arrested. He is basically Warren Jeffs 2.0. He hasn’t even gone to trial yet. The girls that were found safe in ND were probably about to be smuggled into Canada to stay with the polygamists there.

Just about every time I go to the Costco near downtown SLC, I see polygamists shopping there.

They are very much still around. The FLDS is not the only group.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.