Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: March 23, 2023 02:13AM

accused of child molestation, NBC affiliate news KING5 tonite including views of church I took kids & family b4 church was built in Carnation...

Wow, talk about Close To Home

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: [|] ( )
Date: March 23, 2023 02:48AM

https://www.king5.com/article/news/crime/man-arrested-allegedly-molesting-young-boys-redmond-church/281-2789f680-ea32-4fd4-a4db-c9d2668beea2

Floodlit already has a lot of information (way to go 3am!)

https://floodlit.org/a/a586/

"March 22, 2023: FLOODLIT has received several reports from people familiar with the case or with Darrell’s life. According to these reports, Darrell’s disturbing behavior towards little children and especially little boys was well known to many members of his Mormon ward (congregation) for many years, dating back to the 2000s. On multiple occasions, ward members told the bishop about Darrell, but local police were not called until December 2022."

Posted by: 3am ( )
Date: March 23, 2023 09:09PM

Thank you. We've corresponded with several people who attended the same ward as the accused and/or who knew him before the alleged incidents. We are currently looking for information as to what the local bishops / bishoprics did and when in response to ward members' concerns about his frequent disturbing behavior. If anyone here was a Mormon church member in Redmond, Washington or knows anything about this story, please contact us at floodlit.org.

We've also bought most of the available public documents in the two criminal cases and one civil case tied to this investigation. We can confirm that the accused is alleged to have sexually molested a little boy during sacrament meeting in February 2020.

In the meeting. While seated between the boy and the boy's father.

Posted by: Beth ( )
Date: March 24, 2023 12:32AM

Hi!

Great website!

I was looking at the volunteer page and wondering if you need help gathering court documents. I know some are free, and some are not. Some are scanned, but some require a trip to the clerk.

How do you assign work to volunteers? Do you need the docket and transcript? Prison records?

@All, this is the page I’m talking about.

https://floodlit.org/contact/

Do you have to disclose the names of donors?

Do you have, or are you able to get, nonprofit status?

Why do you leave the names of those found not guilty on your site? That concerns me. Not guilty doesn’t mean innocent, but it also means that the state did not prove their case beyond a reasonable doubt.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/24/2023 12:34AM by Beth.

Date: March 24, 2023 07:05AM

Yes, we need help gathering court documents. We are currently buying hundreds of them a month from the Utah XChange website and other places.

Re: "How do you assign work to volunteers? Do you need the docket and transcript? Prison records?" - ideally we'd get those records, yes. Every case is different, though.

Re: "Do you have to disclose the names of donors?" - No, we keep all donors' names private and anonymous.

Re: "Do you have, or are you able to get, nonprofit status?" - We've decided against that at this time, for the sake of protecting our anonymity and that of donors, information sources and abuse survivors.

Re: "Why do you leave the names of those found not guilty on your site? That concerns me. Not guilty doesn’t mean innocent, but it also means that the state did not prove their case beyond a reasonable doubt." - Because FLOODLIT's purpose is not to assign a value of guilty or not guilty in these cases, but rather to report accurately on what transpires in them in criminal/civil court proceedings, in official LDS responses and/or settlement agreements, and in public discourse.

In other words, we're not trying to say that every person in the floodlit database is guilty. We're trying to say that they were at one time publicly accused of a sex crime, and we're trying to offer facts that can help anyone researching that case.

That way, when someone goes, "wait whatever happened with Hugh Nibley and those allegations against him? Who was it that alleged stuff and what did they say?" We've got a listing on him so people can read about that, even though he was never formally charged with a sex crime.

Date: March 24, 2023 02:39AM

>We can confirm that the accused is alleged to have sexually molested a little boy during sacrament meeting in February 2020.

>In the meeting. While seated between the boy and the boy's father.

That is damned brazen molesting a kid in public in the presence of the family.

Date: March 24, 2023 03:13AM

Oh, I agree with you. Here’s the statement I’m questioning:

“Found not guilty: We don’t typically remove someone from our database simply because they were found not guilty, because that alone doesn’t always determine whether a public conversation about the allegations was justified. However, we do not wish to cause harm to anyone, and we recognize that it can be tremendously stressful for a person who has been publicly accused and then found not guilty to go on with their lives. We are willing to remove records from our database whenever their publication may present harm to any innocent person.
We are willing to consider exceptions to the above criteria on a case-by-case basis.”

https://floodlit.org/posting-policy/

Date: March 24, 2023 03:29AM

First, my post above was a response to 3am, not you.

Second, you make a valid point.
But, consider this case we discussed here a couple of years ago

https://www.exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,2346357,2346357#msg-2346357

He was not convicted, in fact, a grand jury refused to indict him. but the Oregon Medical Board was convinced enough to revoke his license. Is that a sufficient enough measure of guilt?

Date: March 24, 2023 07:42AM

Thanks for bringing that up. We will review that case.

Often, a DOPL license revocation/suspension record is enough for us to feel justified in posting about public allegations.

There are quite a few LDS professionals who have admitted to committing sexual impropriety or abuse while operating in their capacity as professionals. In some such cases, no charges were filed.

In other cases, settlements were reached that effectively prevented prosecution.

We’d rather have too much helpful accurate information in the floodlit database than too little.

Date: March 24, 2023 11:23AM

Sorry about that.

Date: March 24, 2023 07:20AM

It's a complex topic, and we want there to be more transparency about it.

Examples of cases we've included even though there wasn't a conviction:

--

Philander Smartt, former mission president:
https://floodlit.org/a/a328/

Wasn't charged with a crime, but the LDS church acknowledged that he deceived and victimized multiple sister missionaries serving under his direction, and called his behavior "immoral and sinful."

--

Joseph Bishop, former MTC president:
https://floodlit.org/a/a027/

No criminal charges, but there might have been were it not for statute of limitations restrictions. The case was highly publicized and the LDS church weighed in multiple times.

--

John Parkinson:
https://floodlit.org/a/a276/

Conviction eventually reversed.

--

Efrey Guzman:
https://floodlit.org/a/a441/

Mormon branch president in Utah who was acquitted in 2014 of various sexual assault charges.

--

When people debate cases like the above, we want floodlit to be a place they can turn to for accurate information.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: March 24, 2023 11:32PM

The recording of Joseph Bishop was also inculpatory. He did not deny having the secret room with the bed, nor did he dispute that he took women there. Nor did not deny having raped his accuser; he just asked which one she was.

I daresay most men who are accused of rape would reply with a horrified "no," not by asking which of the women she was.

Date: March 25, 2023 01:34AM

I think I would have two lists, one for convicted, and one for credibility accused.

I believe the victims. I’ve been there. I was abused when I was seven. I was raped when I was 19. In the Navy, I was raped when I was 25 and almost raped when I was 24 (two friends heard me screaming and stopped him).

No one was held accountable.

Nevertheless, if I created a website devoted to outing sex offenders, I’d make it very, *very* clear which of these people were convicted, and which were credibly accused.

ETA: Oh, I forgot to mention the Navy doctor (not a radiologist), who cornered me in an isolated area of the x-ray department, grabbed me, and told me that my problem is that I “need to get some.” I don’t remember how I got away. He’s currently in private practice in San Diego.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 03/25/2023 01:50AM by Beth.

Date: March 25, 2023 02:01AM

I'm not taking a position on the question you address, Beth. I'm merely adding detail to Joseph Bishop's case.

Date: March 25, 2023 02:04AM

No worries! I didn’t think you were.

All is well.

Date: March 25, 2023 05:45PM

Great thoughts, thank you.

Working on the two-list thing. Should be done in the next few days. You’re right - it’ll greatly help people.

I’m so sorry for what you’ve been through. That’s truly horrific.

Date: March 25, 2023 06:00PM

Thank you. You are kind, and I appreciate your empathy. I remember the first time someone said, “I am so sorry that happened to you.” That was in 2019. He was a VA doctor, and I cried.

I’m impressed by your dedication to the victims. The voiceless. The people who were blamed for horrific crimes that happened *to* them.

Some people will read your site and start to be freed of guilt. That’s a great gift.

Date: March 28, 2023 10:09PM

Thank you.

It's so important to help abuse survivors understand that, contrary to what the LDS church has long taught, they are in no way to blame for what their abusers decided to do to them.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: March 25, 2023 11:33AM

Bishop ran the MTC when I was there.

Date: March 25, 2023 01:26PM

I imagine there are more people here who were in his MTC. It seems mathematically inevitable.

Date: March 23, 2023 03:34AM

More Shame & disgust on 'God's Only True & Living Church'

I wonder... do the munchkins in the COB shield the Mighty 15 of these items so they can maintain plausible deniability? Hmmm

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: March 23, 2023 09:22PM

How can they deny knowing what happens in THEIR church when they have the gift of Holy McGhost to keep them up to date?

Date: March 23, 2023 09:54PM

I wish ChurchCo would ES&D, Refunding all $ & other resources to the sheeple; they are utterly a worthless, demonic organization.

Ask me how I really feel!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.