Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Elder Brother ( )
Date: March 23, 2023 02:29PM

https://www.ksl.com/article/50606243/heres-how-the-church-of-jesus-christ-spent-102b-in-service-last-year

In their 48-page report, there is absolutely no mention of how they came up with this number.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Silence is Golden ( )
Date: March 23, 2023 02:47PM

My bet is if you deduct the Humanitarian Fund contributions, Fast Offerings, and Missionary Fund. Then you will come down to Service hours, which will most likely include all hours reported by Bishops, SP, and Missionaries. Add in average times for all other callings, temple work, plus ministering. You will have the remainder. There may be small contributions from tithing or some obscure water rights donated.

But over all, most of the value they claim was produced by the membership and used by the membership. Heck, even things that helped those outside the church was done by the membership. Since it is the membership who donates\supports the Humanitarian Fund, the Missionary Fund, and the Fast Offering fund.

So since I know for a fact that all funds outside of tithing do not apply to your 10% tithing requirement. Then the church as a Corporation is not really out one red cent, and are still raking it into Ensign Peaks.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: March 23, 2023 04:50PM

They can claim whatever they want because maybe a small church committee (10 people or less) will ever see the actual numbers.

I had a boss who would make similar claims about new clients that he was recruiting. He was never in his office and all he had to do was to make a dumb "Here's a list of phony names that I brought into the business" this year.

And he claimed it was the rest of the workers (working their asses off) whom were just too stupid to know how to treat new clients right.

Posted by: subeamnotlogedin ( )
Date: March 23, 2023 05:09PM

Although I have resigned over 10 years ago I hope the LDS church will do some good with all that money.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: March 23, 2023 05:27PM

The church made me feel as if I had been serviced.

Posted by: Kentish ( )
Date: March 23, 2023 06:55PM

No matter what the figure is derived from it kind of pales against 100 billion.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: March 23, 2023 08:08PM

He came up with 47 million dollars in cash out of hand from the church.

In a comment, another exmo pointed out that the OP missed the 16.8 million dollars the church gave to Ukraine, bringing the cash amount to 64 million dollars, which is $933,000,000 short of the church's claimed amount of just over a billion dollars.  The OP believes that the church counts every single possible thing they can, including all the full-time missionary work at $29.95/hour...

https://www.reddit.com/r/exmormon/comments/11zlyoa/ksl_article_thats_titled_heres_how_the_church_of/

The comments are very entertaining!  One very believable comment is that the the KSL website is not allowing negative comments regarding their story, just positive ones, such as, "They can burn the money for all I care..."

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: March 23, 2023 09:11PM

Transparent dishonesty.

I did the same sort of analysis but got bored and deleted it. But yes, the church is including work on church "farms," food processing centers (canneries?), service missions, counseling presumably by LDS Social Services, etc. In other words, work done for the church counts as service to the world.

Also, the church included fast offerings dispersed. So they are demanding offerings from members, then turning around and giving some to other members and counting that as church philanthropy.

And finally, if you want to claim a billion dollars in charity it's not a good sign when you list a single $32 million donation followed by three $5 million ones. If there were more than three, contributions of that size the church would assuredly have listed them.

So yeah, the itemization almost certainly does not reach $100 million let alone one billion.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.