Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: vzgardner ( )
Date: March 25, 2023 03:00PM

From the subject article:
"The Latter-day Saints president, Russell M. Nelson, the current prophet, has devoted much of his life to saving lives as a cardiac surgeon. But we do not need a revelation to save the life of Great Salt Lake. We need an immediate churchwide call for conservation to deliver urgent care to the lake and protect the health of those of us living in the heart of Mormon Country."

If this "call" happens, I will be astounded; rather, this may well become the call/excuse for Mormons to start packing and return to Jackson County, Missouri. Problem is, Jesus won't be there to greet them.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: March 25, 2023 03:11PM

Thirteen thousand years ago, Lake Boneville was one of the largest inland bodies of water in North America

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_Bonneville

Shorelines of Lake Bonneville are visible above Salt Lake City along the western front of the Wasatch Mountains and on other mountains throughout the Bonneville basin.[1] These shorelines appear as shelves or benches that protrude from the mountainside above the valley floor, are visible on the ground from long distances and on satellite images, and have both depositional and erosional segments along their lengths.[2] Three shorelines of Lake Bonneville that can be traced throughout the basin, have been given names: Stansbury, Bonneville, and Provo.[1] The Stansbury and Bonneville shorelines formed during the transgressive phase of Lake Bonneville; the Provo shoreline formed during the overflowing phase.[3] Numerous other unnamed shorelines, which cannot be mapped everywhere in the basin, some of which formed during the transgressive phase and some during the regressive phase, are also present on piedmont slopes and alluvial fans. At its maximum, when Lake Bonneville was more than 980 ft (300 m) deep and almost 20,000 sq mi (51,000 km2) in surface area,[4] it covered almost as much area as modern Lake Michigan although its shoreline was more complex with many islands and peninsulas. Great Salt Lake, Utah Lake, and Sevier Lake are the largest post-Bonneville lakes in the Bonneville basin.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aral_Sea#Impact_on_environment,_economy,_and_public_health

The Aral Sea is considered an example of ecosystem collapse.[41] The ecosystems of the Aral Sea and the river deltas feeding into it have been nearly destroyed, largely because of the salinity being dramatically higher than ocean water.[6] The receding sea has left huge plains covered with salt and toxic chemicals from weapons testing, industrial projects, and runoff of pesticides and fertilizer. Because of the shrinking water source and worsening water and soil quality, pesticides were increasingly used from the 1960s to raise cotton yield, which further polluted the water with toxins (e.g. DDT).[42] Industrial pollution also resulted in PCB and heavy-metal contamination.[43]

Owing to the insufficiency of water left in the Aral sea, concentrations of these pollutants rose drastically both in the remaining water and in the dry beds. This resulted in wind-borne toxic dust that spread quite widely. People living in the lower parts of the river basins and former shore zones ingested pollutants through drinking local water and inhaling contaminated dust.[44] Furthermore, due to absorption by plants and livestock, toxins — many of which bioaccumulate and are not easily broken down or excreted by the liver and kidneys — entered the food chain.[43] Inhabitants of the surrounding areas commonly experience a shortage of fresh water, and health problems are widespread — including high rates of certain cancers, respiratory illnesses including tuberculosis (mostly drug resistant), digestive disorders, anaemia, and infectious diseases. Liver, kidney, and eye problems may also be due to the toxic dust storms. Together, this presented an unusually high fatality rate among vulnerable age groups: child mortality stood at 75 per 1,000 in 2009, while maternal mortality was 12 in every 1,000.[45][46]

The dust storms have also contributed to water shortages through salt deposition.[47] Overusing pesticides on crops to preserve yields has exacerbated this.[47] Crops are destroyed where salt is deposited by the wind. The most heavily affected fields must be flushed with water four times per day to remove salt and toxic matter.[47] A 1998 study indicated that few crops (besides fodder) tolerate the degradation, restricting what Kazakhstan farmers now choose to seed.[48]

Inland seas and lakes generally moderate a region's climate through humidification, regulation of thermal energy, and peri-winter albedo effects.[49] Loss of water in the Aral Sea has changed surface temperatures and wind patterns. This has led to a broader annual temperature range (about a 4 to 12 °C broadening) and more dust in storms locally and regionally.[49]

Posted by: Beth ( )
Date: March 26, 2023 02:21AM

Thank you for this information!

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: March 25, 2023 03:57PM

Something tells me that the Mormon prophet's "revelatory" ability about environmental issues is as good as it was for investment shell companies and pandemic healing.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: March 25, 2023 05:20PM

We have already broken the record for "snow water equivalent" in the mountains. The old record was 26.0" in 1983, the year of the State St "river".

We hit 26.1" yesterday. There are still statistically 3 weeks left in the typical snow season (until mid-April), so we may well not just break the all-time record, but crush the record.

So, we are going to get 2 full years worth of snowmelt (the area is just below 200% of average snow) in one year. The ground is not going to absorb twice as much water as normal, so there should be even more than 2 years worth of runoff this spring. I'm guessing the lake will come up 5 feet. I'll report back in in late June to report how accurate my prediction was!

In any case, a record high snowpack made diverting water back to the lake a tough sell with the legislature this year. They did more last year. A Water Trust was established and funded last year, and that is what will be managing the water the LDS Church just donated. So the water trust is just barely getting up and moving.

Ditto the Bear River Restoration project, which is planning to, among other things, remove several tens of thousands of non-native Russian olive trees, which are huge water sucks. They are also very nasty trees to remove, hard to kill, and fearsome thorns. It is expected that that will free up 10K to 13K acre feet of water.

Utah has been very supportive of the Bear River restoration project, which is being done by the NW Band of the Shoshone, if i recall correctly. Unfortunately, the actual project is in Idaho, near Preston, and the Idaho legislature has shown little to no interest. Insert your favorite expletive here.

Idaho needs to cooperate to make sure the water gets to the lake. The Bear River starts in the Utah Uintas, and ends at the GSL, but along the way goes through corners of WY and ID.

There are a number of important reasons why it is in our interest to keep a viable amount of water in the GSL. That said, I keep hearing this drumbeat of claims of potential toxic dust storms, stated like this is some kind of undeniable result of the lake receding. I am getting increasing skeptical of that particular claim.

About half of the lakebed is already exposed. On top of that, the entire salt flats in western Utah were up until a few thousand years ago, also lakebed. The Salt Lake Valley does not get dust storms off the lake. It takes more than just exposure to create a dust storm. You need the right kind of soil. There are places in Utah prone to serious dust storms. One is up near Snowville, on the way to Burley. There are warning signs on the interstate telling people not to stop on the highway. And why would anyone just stop in the middle of the highway? Because the dust storm was so bad they had no idea where the road was. It gets that bad.

Dust storms anywhere near that bad do not happen in the Salt Lake Valley. Ever. The lake bed is not loose soil. Much of it feels like rock when you walk on it. Some is heavy, wet sand. Where the Bear and Jordan rivers empty into the lake, there is river silt, but does the river silt contain toxic metals?

I have started looking at the air quality records for the valley. The only heavy metal that is tracked is lead, as far as I can tell. I have just begun to look at that, but comparing 2005 to 2020, lead levels in the air on the ten worst days of the year (which I would assume to be windy days off the lake), the 2020 numbers for lead are below the 2005 levels. A great deal more lake bed was exposed in 2020 than in 2005, so you would expect the additional exposure to increase the lead levels in the air.

So I am not seeing evidence these toxic dust clouds are real, in spite of everyone talking like this is incontrovertible fact. I will continue to poke around and see what is in the air quality data.

Date: March 25, 2023 05:25PM

>>Idaho needs to cooperate to make sure the water gets to the lake.

Unless it has something to do with suppressing gay, brown or black people or forcing fetuses, I'm guessing they won't be interested in any cooperation. (Half way joking.)

Date: March 26, 2023 02:20AM

Has Idaho always been this nutty?

Date: March 26, 2023 11:36AM

Yes, but it is escalating because it is attracting more of the nuttiest of the nutty. People here need to pray for brains!

Posted by: L.A. Exmo ( )
Date: March 25, 2023 05:35PM

Utah recreational drivers aren't helping. They're breaking up the hard crust and loosening the lakebed soil.

"Can this tweak to Utah vehicle law help reduce toxic Great Salt Lake dust?

Increasing numbers of vehicles are driving on the exposed lakebeds.

Motorized vehicles are banned from traveling on exposed lakebeds and navigable rivers in Utah, but a problem emerged in recent years with the way it is written in state law.

It was not completely clear to anyone what types of vehicles were and were not allowed in those spaces, before this year’s legislative session. That, in turn, made it difficult to enforce or prosecute."

https://www.sltrib.com/news/2022/04/26/can-this-tweak-utah/

I didn't have a paywall issue with this article.

Date: March 26, 2023 01:03AM

Yes. And will the snowmelt reestablish the salt crust over the numerous hot spots, or will it simply cover them with water that may recede in the future, and we’re back in the same place?

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: March 25, 2023 07:20PM

Thanks for the link, Beth. I really enjoyed reading that although of course the subject is grave. But the writer is talented. It's made me look her up and watch for more of her articles.

Date: March 26, 2023 01:07AM

And the graphics! That’s what hooked me.

But when she grabbed “a death foretold,” I cringed a bit.

Don't mess with my magic realism! ;-)

Posted by: reinventinggrace ( )
Date: March 26, 2023 03:18AM

While Terry Tempest Williams may be a Mormon, she has been an outlier for many years.

Her book "Refuge" about her mother dying and the Great Salt Lake flooding in the 1980s was published 30 years ago. A very good read. Natural history and soul searching.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/372932278332

Props to the NYT for publishing her piece.

RG

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: March 26, 2023 03:46AM

Very good indeed. There is also a straight line between May Swensen, Mary Oliver, and TTW.

Watching that time lapse video about the Bear River Refuge made me think she is weeping, probably devastated. She spent so very many years trying to save that place.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/26/2023 03:47AM by Lot's Wife.

Date: March 26, 2023 09:41AM

TTW is one of the most talented environmental writers in the US, and probably the world. I sometimes feel like "can any good thing come out of Utah?" We punch way above our weight in nutcases per capita, but we have also hatched some pretty talented people - May Swenson, Kip Thorne (both from Logan) and Terry Tempest Williams, who grew up in SLC near the GSL, come immediately to mind.

As luck would have it, I have had a trip planned for tomorrow out to the Bear River Massacre site in southern Idaho, to see the site of the Bear River Restoration Project that the NW Band of Shoshone are undertaking. The SLCUU Church is looking into volunteer projects there for tree planting, russian olive tree removal, etc this summer. I've never been, and have only seen the part of the Bear River from Evanston WY up to its source near Mirror Lake in the Uintahs.

So, anyway, road trip tomorrow, weather permitting. I have never been to Preston, ID, and figured it was about time. I'm planning to take back roads from Malad to Preston.

Date: March 26, 2023 11:31AM

(I’m replying to RG alll the way down to Moe)

Thank you for providing background and information about TTW. I’d never heard of her, and I didn’t want to break any RfM rules or upset anyone.

BoJ, if you’re kidnapped by Idahoans, sound the alarm! We’ll come getcha.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/26/2023 11:32AM by Beth.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: March 26, 2023 12:30PM

the backdrop of environmental matters in the religious / Christian milieu has been dubious beginning when society began to pay attention, especially for those who subscribe to the End Times perspective;

Is this (slowly) changing for Utah & the IMW (Idaho ???)?

Crops need water, skiers need snow, ChurchCo likes to project Utah as a clean & healthy place.

It occurs to me this started rolling when Geneva Steel closed up, has a report card been issued on their clean-up?
(Was clean-up the Utah law, or, was it 100% Federal responsibility??)

Elsewhere, in / near Lakewood NJ, Jewish folks are building 1000’s of apartments but eliminating (nearly?) 100% of trees on the land ‘to appear desert-like’ reminiscent of the mid-east…

The End-Times thingee was a near-fatal blow to environmental consciousness & appropriate actions…

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/26/2023 12:33PM by GNPE.

Posted by: Prince Caspian ( )
Date: March 26, 2023 08:02PM

Posted by: schrodingerscat ( )
Date: March 27, 2023 01:37PM

Maybe this is Nature’s way of saying,”This ain’t the place! Best keep on trekking West of the Cascade Range!”

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/27/2023 01:39PM by schrodingerscat.

Date: March 28, 2023 12:09AM

Nooooooooo.

Just stop in Idaho.

Posted by: T-Bone ( )
Date: March 30, 2023 01:00PM

Heck, I remember when the Great Salt Lake was overflowing. If you drove toward Wendover, there were places on I-80 where the water came right up to the freeway.

Anybody else remember that?

Date: March 30, 2023 01:24PM

Yep. That was when they built the pumps to pump water into the west desert in the hopes of increasing the evaporation rate enough to lower the lake a bit.

That was precisely when the lake started dropping, and the pumps were never used as far as I know.

This year’s extreme rain/snowfall was not predicted or expected by anyone. It may be a one-off, but if it happens for a couple more years, they may get to fire up those pumps.

Around 1980, the rock wall around the south marina had to be raised about 8 feet because the original wall that had been there for decades was under water. The layer that was added is clearly visible if you visit the GSL State Park.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.