Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: bluebutterfly ( )
Date: March 27, 2023 11:10PM

I haven't posted in quite awhile, but things have come up recently that have compelled me to do so. I will create a separate post for the other topic.

I just started watching 'Under the Banner of Heaven' (I know, late to the party...but I recently stumbled upon it). And whoa...the accuracy of Mormon culture/history and the fact that certain elements are so triggering have me quite intrigued. Example: when Brenda first attends the Lafferty family picnic and the patriarch catches her with her eyes open during the prayer...oh that look he gives her. The hard blink/head nod. If you know you know. I remember getting that look from my mom as a kid!

Just wondering what other opinions are about it and what triggered you? I feel completely immune to all things Mormonism now, but it's incredible how the experience being raised in TSSC never really leaves you. Also, my spouse is a nevermo, so there's not always someone to talk to who truly understands!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: March 29, 2023 11:55AM

I read the book years ago. I can't make myself watch it. I know it will make me disgusted on all kinds of levels.

I remember threads about it here a while back. I think many people thought it was fairly accurate and definitely NOT something complementary for the public to see about the church.

Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: March 29, 2023 02:33PM

An excellent portrayal o how their violent acts followed very logically from established LDS teachings.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.