Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: May 05, 2023 07:37PM

So I'm sitting up all night to watch the Coronation of the new king, Charles III.

The National Post describes the first two Kings Charles like this:

"The first Charles was beheaded in a popular uprising, the second was a hard-drinking womanizer whose dynasty fell to a Dutch invasion shortly after his death."

So, it shouldn't be that tough a task to improve on the success of a reign by a king called Charles.

Interestingly, this Charles is a 13th cousin to Jill Biden and a 12th cousin to our Prime Minister Justin Trudeau.

He is described as passionate about the charities of which he is patron and is well known to have always been involved in environmentalism, even before it was as prominent as it has become, so as monarch/king he's part of an ancient role but through his interests in gardening, conservation and protecting the environment he's right up to date, as he has been on these issues for many years even ahead of many others. I've read that he has saved several species of plants and trees that were on the way to extinction.

Yesterday, Charles met with two reps from Indigenous groups/organizations in Canada as well as with our Governor-General, who is an Indigenous woman. (The G-G is the King's representative in Canada - a ceremonial role). In an interview after, they all looked happy and expressed satisfaction with their meeting. I figure if they're OK with him that's a good start as they certainly have a lot to discuss, the various Indigenous Nations and the new monarch.

I was struck by a comment by RoseAnne Archibald, Assembly of First Nations National Chief, who said that they are there on behalf of their ancestors who signed treaties with the British monarch and they still want to honour those as they are very meaningful to the various nations. The three smiled and expressed much optimism about how things are going with Charles. He is very knowledgeable about the issues so that's a great start.

Canada is defined as a constitutional monarchy and a parliamentary democracy, in contrast to America being a federal republic. We emphasize our constitution as far as governance goes and the monarchy part is ceremonial.

I know Americans love their republican form of governance, which is described as a representative government. There are obvious differences in how our two countries conduct our systems but the ideals are similar and we are certainly not ruled by a monarchy nor do most of us wish to be. The history and symbolism, yes, but no literal rule, thankyouverymuch.

There will be four Mounties in tomorrow's ceremony and their amazingly fabulous and beautiful horses (that are 1/2-3/4 thoroughbred and a touch of draft for size and strength). I've seen them up close and personal - they are HUGE and gorgeous and talented and obviously well trained. They have to be to fulfill their duty despite massive and noisy crowds.

A Canadian astronaut is the flag-bearer in tomorrow's ceremony. I'm loving observing all the thoughtful symbolism of it all.

I am enjoying the coverage I've managed to see so far. It's interesting to hear from experts and regular folks alike, the first to explain what's up and the others to give their well-informed opinions about the various issues and questions and all the sights and sounds and plans, including the weather, as they await the ceremony. No matter your opinion about the politics, so to speak, of it all the Brits sure know how to throw a party.

I enjoy seeing others enjoying themselves and so I'm watching all the person-on-the-street interviews and appreciating their perspectives. It's fun to see people being happy.

OK, off now for my nap so I don't fall asleep before I see those crowns do their thing. They don't come out in public very often. This is the first in my lifetime, so far. It's better than the midnight movie. :)

And who doesn't like a parade. I'm just sorry the Queen isn't there to see it all going on.

(Late correction above: A comment I quoted was made by a First Nations chief, not our G-G as I originally stated. I know it likely is no big deal but I like to be accurate. Hope it's all fixed now).

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 05/06/2023 01:24PM by Nightingale.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: kentish ( )
Date: May 05, 2023 08:05PM

I was 13 when the last Coronation took place and felt part of it with all the local ceebrations that took place. I watched it at a friend's house on an 11 inch black and white TV because we did not have TV then.

Only four Mounties? I remember a whole troop of them in 53, together with military units from many Commonwealth countries. It is expected to be a bit smaller procession. There is much ancient symbolism in the ceremony and a highlight for me will be the Westminster Choir singing the Coronation Anthem Zadok the Priest. You will recognize it by the repetitive God Save the King. I think it is a magnificent piece.

Coverage starts here at 3 am. I hope to be up but who knows. I am often up at 5 on Saturday's to catch the early Premier League game, especially when Liverpool are featured so if I sleep in I won't miss much.

Date: May 05, 2023 08:47PM

Wow, kentish - you were there! An unforgettable childhood memory for sure. Yes re only four Mounties - due to the "slimmed down" ceremony, not nearly as lavish as the one for QEII's coronation, but there were only four for her funeral (that were ridden by Mounties anyway).

The ceremony starts here at 0100 so I'm hoping to grab a nap now so I don't fall asleep and miss the good bits later. I've missed a lot of the CBC pieces on all the history - that's the part I like - too busy at work this week to give myself time off. Bad timing. :(

Enjoy! (If you are up, ha - me too).

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: May 05, 2023 10:18PM

I will be asleep during the event. I am 3 months older than King Chuck 3 but not a fan...of him or the anachronistic institution he was born into. It should have ended with the death of The Queen. She was relevant. He isn't. JMHO.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: May 05, 2023 10:42PM

That's not an unusual view. I wouldn't be surprised to see the commonwealth shrink by two or three members over the next year.

Posted by: blindguy ( )
Date: May 05, 2023 11:34PM

Lot's Wife Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> That's not an unusual view. I wouldn't be
> surprised to see the commonwealth shrink by two or
> three members over the next year.

Yes. NPR reported yesterday that some Commonwealth members--particularly those with dark-skinned heads of state--are very much itching to leave the British Commonwealth and think now (or near now) is the proper time to do it.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: May 06, 2023 01:45AM

It won’t happen in the next year, but I would not be astonished if Northern Ireland decides to rejoin the Republic of Ireland. More surprising would be Scotland voting for independence. Unlikely, but not impossible IMHO

Posted by: Kentish ( )
Date: May 06, 2023 03:40PM

Northern Ireland will never choose to join the Republic while it has a protestant majority.

Date: May 07, 2023 06:09PM

Agreed.

Posted by: The original MOI! ( )
Date: May 06, 2023 03:59PM

I agree. I liked ol' Liz Windsor. But if Klaus Schwab's favorite effeminate little dildo had any brains, he'd take Canada out of the commonwealth. And FAST!

And queen Cowmilla? Oh HELL no! MOO! All that opulent wealth you'd think they could do something with her teeth.

Date: May 07, 2023 07:06PM

The original MOI! Wrote:
> And queen Cowmilla? Oh HELL no! MOO! All that
> opulent wealth you'd think they could do something
> with her teeth.

At age 75 she's likely well used to her own teeth by now and reconciled to uncharitable outsider opinions which have dogged her since her youth, most unkindly.

Date: May 05, 2023 11:30PM

To each his own. I am a monarchist. To me less about the person than the institution. The Britain I know and understand would not be the same without it. Countries like Australia and Canada will make their own choices and I suspect droping the Crown will not cause a riple of change in those countries.

Date: May 05, 2023 11:35PM

Probably true.

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: May 06, 2023 03:56AM

Up from my nap! Now I have to decide if I will have a margarita or tea and pick a tiara. KC has waited a long time for this, I hope it meets his expectations. Love him or detest him, it is history.

Date: May 06, 2023 05:32AM

I think it is more about stability and continuity, hardly undesirable in today's often chaotic world.

As an aside. The Abbey is full of graves and floor markers of the greats of British history. Only one is never walked on. Just inside the main door, surrounded by flowers (usually red poppies) is the Tomb of the Unknown, the first of its kind. "They buried him among kings..."

Posted by: The Jacobite Jacobin ( )
Date: May 06, 2023 06:48AM

I will not be watching. I met him once when I was a small child, and too young to know better.

This is a man who goes to climate conferences in a private jet, supports economic hardships for ordinary people, lives the life of Riley and and then asks the rest of us to pay fot it.

https://royalcentral.co.uk/uk/prince-charles-at-the-world-economic-forum-the-only-limit-is-our-willingness-to-act-136670/

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: May 06, 2023 08:58AM

I found the ceremony to be very moving. The music was beautiful, and I especially enjoyed seeing the Prince of Wales and his family.

Posted by: Taratoo not logged in ( )
Date: May 06, 2023 07:16PM

I was at school with the conductor of the orchestra. He was in my class, highly gifted and accessed free music tuition that was available to us. I learned and played violin alongside him. His family later emigrated to the US, he became a world renowned conductor and returned to London as director of the Royal Opera House.

THe Abbey is a short distance from his childhood home, our primary school, and Westminster Cathedral (Roman Catholic)where we both sang in the school choir for Mass and other events. Half a mile yet a million miles in personal, social and professional accomplishments.

Date: May 06, 2023 08:05PM

How cool that you have a personal connection to the coronation! The conductor obviously has a zest for his job. :)

Posted by: taratoo ( )
Date: May 07, 2023 05:47AM

I only became aware of his success via a 2003/2004 TV documentary series called 'Imagine' made by the BBC. I was intrigued by the name associated with it - he was known by a shortened form of his given name when at school.

He took Alan Yentob to see his former home in Westminster and his life there.

The school itself attracted Roman Catholic families mostly from Italy, Spain, Portugal...and significantly Irish. Working class families living in diverse neighbourhoods close to Parliament and the Mall etc. Some of the children attending the school lived in the Royal Mews as their parents worked at Buckingham Palace, though not in AP's case. I suspect not much has changed in respect of the school intake.

The two school buildings were redeveloped, the older, larger building into apartments and other mixed uses - including the location of 'The Passage' charity for the homeless. Diana befriended Cardinal Hume and took the boys to visit. William is still closely involved. https://passage.org.uk/

Date: May 06, 2023 09:13AM

Ancient and modern elements in the service (and it is a religious service) not least the recognition of other churches and other faiths. First time, too, for participation of female bishops of the CofE. Spectacular parade. Color and precision. Also new was the parade lined up in the palace garden afterwards and the cheers for the king. I watched on BBC so assume US networks covered that also.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: May 06, 2023 09:19AM

Sounds great!

Who won?

Date: May 06, 2023 10:26AM

Yes, I watched it on CBS (one of the major networks in the US,) and they showed everything. I've just switched over to the PL right now -- MC vs. Leeds.

Date: May 06, 2023 11:04AM

Waiting for the real game of the day. Liverpool.

Date: May 06, 2023 05:11PM

I like Brentford. They are the little team that could, and they performed respectably against Liverpool. Congratulations on the win. I see that your team is currently sitting at number 5 in the standings, and I don't see why they can't overtake Manchester United. I've given up on Tottenham getting into the top four this year.

Date: May 06, 2023 05:43PM

Glad Liverpool won but absolutely disgusted with the fan reaction to the National Anthem. An insult to the country they call home.

Date: May 06, 2023 05:48PM

Oh, that's really terrible! (I didn't watch the game.) I think that English football fans have generally been doing well in recent years, but at times there is a mis-step.

Posted by: Dallin Ox ( )
Date: May 06, 2023 12:53PM

No mention of the Global Faith Leader in attendance? But he's super important, just ask him!

Oh well, I'm sure Rusty Bucket is taking notes for his next birthday party back in SLC.

Date: May 06, 2023 01:37PM

Dallin Ox Wrote:
> No mention of the Global Faith Leader in
> attendance? But he's super important, just ask
> him!
>
> Oh well, I'm sure Rusty Bucket is taking notes for
> his next birthday party back in SLC.

Ten thousand thanks for bringing this back on topic! Very well done. :)

I didn't even think of this but it's a good point.

Maybe it's assumed that Mormonism is part of the general crowd within the Protestant community.

So they aren't special then, deserving to be singled out? Huh.

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: May 06, 2023 12:33PM

As an American, I won't be swearing allegiance to the new King, but I wish him well. It's a once in a lifetime experience. Sadly, I'll probably get to see the coronation of William V.

I did notice how he tried to modernize an ancient medieval European Christian ceremony with diversity and inclusion.

I don't think the monarchy is going away any time soon.

They lopped off the head of the first Charles and then brought his son, the second Charles, back to be King.

It's too socially entrenched.

Date: May 06, 2023 01:34PM

So I missed the whole thing.

A hectic week at work. I was tired out. Slept through the entire ceremony. Wah. I vastly prefer watching an event myself rather than only seeing excerpts and hearing after-the-fact analysis.

I did stir just in time to see the Archbishop put the crown on Charles' head but then missed everything else after that too.

There are certainly mixed reactions from many sources about the monarchy. One aspect that likely many people do appreciate is the enormous tourist trade in Britain due to their system and history, which benefits many businesses and people.

I guess I'll look for excerpts on our newscasts this weekend and see some of the highlights at least. I really wanted to watch the parade and especially those gorgeous horses the Mounties rode.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: May 06, 2023 01:44PM

Hmmmm...

Maybe think about cutting down on your drinking?

/s

Date: May 06, 2023 05:17PM

My favorite parts were the crowning, Prince William paying respect to his dad, seeing William's family (Kate looked stunning, and the kids were beautiful -- the American commentators particularly noticed their excellent behavior,) Charles exiting the cathedral in his ermine robe, and with the orb and scepter (he reminded me of his mom,) the golden carriage ride, and the troops giving him three hurrahs. I was relieved that Camilla's crowning went very quickly, as the ceremony had already gone nearly two hours at that point.

There was discussion of the crown that he was initially crowned with, vs. the second, "working" crown with which he exited the cathedral. Apparently he wears the second crown for the opening of Parliament each year.

It made me wonder if I will live to see William's eventual crowing. Maybe, maybe not. As with his parents, Charles might live well into his 90s.

I should add that Harry, although seated in the family section, seemed very much alone. The American commentators noted this, that he seemed to have no one to talk to. Hopefully he was able to socialize during the afternoon reception. I don't approve of how he's conducted himself, but he is still the king's son.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/06/2023 05:23PM by summer.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: May 06, 2023 01:57PM

As a horse lover I had to look up photos of the mounties from the parade. Beautiful. I remember standing next to a Hanoverian jumper once that was 17 1/2 hands and it was intimidating and awe inspiring. I hadn't felt that way since I had neighbors as a kid who raised Clydesdales.

Then I saw Charles and Camilla with their crowns. Oh my. Just looked wrong. Someone having a fancy dress party?

They needed to follow Coco Channels advice, look in the mirror before leaving the house and take one thing off. Or perhaps 10 in this case.

But---To each his own.

Date: May 06, 2023 02:33PM

Yes re the horses. Incredibly beautiful.

I agree re the crowns too. Charles' weighs nearly 5 lbs, apparently. Camilla's is 1.3 lbs. They certainly look like they'd be heavy on one's head and not overly comfortable. They look like they just sit on top, not very secure. You'd hate to move the wrong way and have the thing fall off.

The controversy over the jewels is likely uncomfortable too.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: May 06, 2023 02:59PM

I am no royalist at all. However, I get the history. I get why the Monarchy still counts with so many. A lot of the rest of it I don't get. But . . .

When I see grown adults parading around in crowns and Cinderella carriages I just want to yell out, "Hey! It's 2023!" Give it up already. They make the Mormon Temple Drag seem reasonable in comparison.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: May 06, 2023 04:27PM

Those who would be king get to do so vicariously.

Date: May 06, 2023 05:08PM

The Canadian Mounties were featured prominently on the American coverage. They looked great! There were the four that you mentioned, Nightingale, and then another in front of them. I think that all of the horses were black. Very nicely done! I also spotted the Canadian flag several times.

Date: May 07, 2023 12:31AM

And the RCMP presented the king with a new horse, from the RCMP Musical Ride breeding program, continuing a tradition going back to them gifting her Burmese, a black RCMP horse decades ago.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: May 06, 2023 02:52PM

He won’t be as popular as mum was.

Date: May 06, 2023 05:30PM

Probably not, but I think he will do just fine. And William and Kate are set to be wildly popular, IMO.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: May 06, 2023 06:16PM

Where is Canada's new court jester ?

Date: May 07, 2023 12:28AM

Don't get me started..hehe

Posted by: tumwater ( )
Date: May 07, 2023 12:34AM

I have a friend in Smithers, B.C.. Based on his opinion of the Canadian political leaders, I have a good guess as to who is the jester.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/07/2023 08:27PM by tumwater.

Date: May 07, 2023 01:38AM

Smithers

Posted by: tumwater ( )
Date: May 07, 2023 09:05AM

Autocorrect....

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: May 06, 2023 08:18PM

I watched much of the ceremony taking place in the Abby. I had very mixed feelings ranging from disgust to amusement.

The rituals and regalia seemed way over the top. I can only take so much ritual.

I knew it was a religious ceremony, but it felt especially creepy seeing the king and priest alliance BS. The anointing behind the screen was especially off-putting. (I was anointed behind a curtain to be a queen in heaven, so there!) I didn't at all feel OK with all the references to God approving the king.

I had thoughts of kings pilfering gold from other countries. I had thoughts of kings killing and doing horrible things with their power. Historically, there is a lot of horror but also awe and beauty associated with the whole royalty history, not only from the United Kingdom.

I'm not sure living in mom's house in obscene luxury until she dies to begin a "life of service" at 74 is all that admirable.

It seemed vulgarly opulent in some ways but also magnificent and beautiful in others. I do understand the pomp, deep traditions and history, need for ritual, symbolism, leadership, and the importance of it all for the United Kingdom. I can't imagine England without all the pomp and royal connections. Congratulations to all on the new king!

Still, my overall takeaway is that humans in general are ridiculous. I switched to another TV station to see a few minutes of the Kentucky Derby which I also found unnecessary and ridiculous. I've officially turned into a crabby old person.

Date: May 06, 2023 08:20PM

Stay off my lawn, dammit!

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: May 06, 2023 09:37PM

The kentucky derby is amish nascar.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: May 06, 2023 10:08PM

With clownish hats!

Date: May 06, 2023 10:11PM

It would be way cooler if they ran it with locomotives.

Posted by: Human ( )
Date: May 07, 2023 01:01PM

In a media universe of pap, pap and more pap, the following is endlessly interesting, and as always, the verve & cheek of this fella simply astonishes:

https://samkriss.substack.com/p/in-englands-dreaming

So many snippets to choose from, every word being worthwhile and well placed, but here’s the opening, something we here will recognize:

“About midway through his coronation ceremony, King Charles III was lightly greased with olive oil from Jerusalem, deployed via a special spoon. Nobody knows the actual origin of this special spoon. It was made some time in the twelfth century, for a purpose that is still not entirely clear; by 1349 it had made its way, by unknown means, into the possession of the royal household. We don’t know what they used it for either. But three hundred years later, England briefly experimented with the idea of publicly disassembling its kings along the neck, and all the royal regalia was sold off and melted down—all except this spoon, which was bought by one Kynnersley, formerly Yeoman of the King’s Wardrobe, for twelve shillings. On the Restoration, it was decided that to be crowned King of England, a man must first be daubed with oil from this particular spoon. Every monarch since has undergone the ritual. It is a deeply significant piece of cutlery.”

On hating the monarchy:

“But it’s strangely hard to write that fury now. I’m just not feeling it any more, not really feeling anything, and I’m not alone. British people are not, in fact, embarrassingly devoted to their royals: for the most part, we simply don’t care. The day before Charles’s coronation, one poll revealed that 62% of the country wasn’t particularly bothered about it either way. Surveys usually find that support for the monarchy is highest among old people and much lower among the young, but for adults under 25 the most common position isn’t republicanism, it’s a shrug: don’t know. The monarchy is not worth hating, because there’s nothing there to hate. A soap opera for foreigners, a few dutiful shower curtains, some nice choral music, and a line in chintzy ceremonial plates. That’s all. It barely even exists.”

On Charles *the person*:

“Charles is simply not like the other royals: not like his parents, not like his siblings, not like his sons. A shy, quiet, bookish boy in a family whose literary pretensions don’t extend much further than Horse & Hound. The royals do not, as a rule, read; they are barbarian warlords: illiterates. When Prince William Henry was presented with the second volume of The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire, he replied: ‘Another damned thick square book, eh, Mr Gibson? Scribble, scribble, scribble, eh, Mr Gibson?’ But Charles knows how to read, even if his chosen materials leave something to be desired. He was the first person in his family to go to university. He cares about architecture. He cares about organic farming. He cares about the perennial esoteric wisdom concealed beneath all world religions. What usually happens if you drop a nerd like that in the middle of a gang of rugger-playing toffs?”

Finally, how am I to refrain from snipping this foining at American scoffers:

“I started to get deeply annoyed by the way some people would jeer at our stupid pageantry. Americans, mostly, desperate to point at a political system more larpy and lunatic than their own. Look at the Brits, still ruled by hereditary aristocrats—isn’t it pathetic? Like some fantasy kingdom. Like Game of Thrones. Isn’t it out of date? The Nairn-Anderson thesis repeated as a playground insult: you guys are lame. Well, what would you prefer? Should we have some crap president in a suit and tie, notionally elected but basically appointed by the IMF? Should we become another boring republic in a continent full of boring republics? Should we sell off Buckingham Palace to some grasping property developers, so it can be turned into luxury apartments, auctioned off in Singapore? Should we break down that hideous hat, so its three thousand diamonds can adorn a Saudi oil billionaire’s hubcaps instead? Would that be democratic? Would that be more normal? Would that radically change our political situation, or would it make things even more the same than they already are?”

Human, humming “God Save The King”

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: May 07, 2023 01:24PM

Human Wrote:
> Well, what would you prefer? Should we have some crap
> president in a suit and tie, notionally elected
> but basically appointed by the IMF?

????

What?

Date: May 07, 2023 08:44PM

Human thinks that different means true whereas sometimes it just means stupid.

Posted by: An.America. ( )
Date: May 07, 2023 02:19PM

Thank you Human, You have made some good points.Charles,the late Queen, and the other royals are people with good and bad traits.Charles has his faults but he is hard working and always has been as were many others. He hasn't lived off his mother or lived in her house since he came of age, dagny. Why am I not surprised that you are the biggest critic here? I have followed the royals since I was a kid and can see the good and bad unlike some critics

Date: May 07, 2023 05:50PM

All of who of which is why I do not focus so much on the person as I do the institution. The entity of the Crown is the glue that holds the system together, IMV. The Crown is impervious to political parties and their political ambitions in ways that an elected person perhaps can never be. What social heights can a king aspire to? He is already top of the heap. He can however thwart the selfishly ambitious who are perhaps driven by a desire to agrandize themselves. It has been said that the King has no power but correctly it is the power he denies to others that is the greatest strength of the system.

So I say God Save the King, send him victorious, happy and glorious. Simply put, I believe if he is all those things then by extension Britain and its realms are, too. And I am all for that.

:-)

Date: May 07, 2023 06:59PM

So I never got to see all of the re-runs even. I was so pleased to see that it was being shown again on Saturday afternoon in its entirety on both my station, CBC, and on CNN after I had fallen asleep and missed it in real time (which is always my preference - nothing like seeing the action as it happens, in my view, whatever the event is).

So at some point as the formal service was ending, CBC interrupted the programming to switch to breaking news about the wildfires in Alberta and new evacuation orders. I switched to CNN to try and see the end and soon they too switched back to live coverage of the latest shooting tragedy in TX. I can't complain about the choice to cover the urgent breaking news. But for those reasons I missed the end of the "live" coverage on the day.

And yet again I never saw the Mounties. Weird, as I think I at least did watch most of the beginning and they were in the initial stages of the day I thought.

As 'anybody' says above (which made me laugh), this is the 21st century. So I can catch it on YouTube or somewhere. (It's just that I have a thing about seeing things live). But it's not a huge issue.

The breaking news about tragedies in various communities reminds you of the priorities in life.

I appreciate reading all your comments. I didn't expect there would be so much interest in the subject of my off topic blurb but it sure does lead to many interesting discussions. One of which is getting our priorities right in this life.

I agree with kentish that the monarchy represents stability and continuity. And history - much of which isn't very positive if you only look at the people (absolute power, back in the day, did absolutely corrupt). But I found it amazing and remarkable and inspiring even that humankind has managed to keep track of a thousand and more years of history as well as some of the positive and meaningful traditions that played out in the coronation ceremony. Even the invitations that were sent out were steeped in symbolism, also picturing the rose for England, the daffodil for Wales, the thistle for Scotland and the shamrock for Northern Ireland.

Here's a picture of it:

https://www.royal.uk/news-and-activity/2023-04-04/the-coronation-invitation

I thought this was interesting too:

"For the first time in over 400 years, a Catholic Archbishop will take part in a Coronation service in this country. Cardinal Vincent Nichols will not only be present, but will also offer a blessing alongside other Christian leaders."

There were also representatives of other faith traditions so it was an ecumenical/inclusive event in that way.

I did notice though that during the promises/vows Charles had to several times affirm his Protestant faith and that Protestantism would be the faith of the realm (or words to that effect). Very interesting. A British king cannot be Catholic, according to the ancient ceremony.

D&D: "Mormon temple drag". LOL

Kentish: Victorious. Happy. Glorious. Not bad aspirations.

I hope they're giving C&C today off with their feet up and a glass of port in their hand, or whatever their pleasure.

I loved all the crowd interviews where people seemed so happy to be there. Happy is good. Happy people beget happiness. I'm all for that and wish there was a bigger supply.

Date: May 07, 2023 07:13PM

Nightingale,we have a copy of the invitation. Someone mailed a copy to us carefully placing our names in the invite. Gave us a chuckle.

Today we went to a Daughters of the British Empire Coronation picnic. Cool, clouds, a downpour, and even wind and hail. A suitable English summer's day for the occasion. Summoning the Dunkirk spirit, we were not deterred,

Date: May 07, 2023 07:21PM

Haha, kentish. That's a good one. One of the CBC guest commentators, a history expert, brought her sister's actual invitation to show it to the TV viewers. Her sister, who had done some work that was being recognized, history-related I think, was an invited guest to the ceremony. She was holding it up to the camera to give viewers a close look and suddenly she tucked it away, saying if it got rained on her sister would not be best pleased. It was funny but yeah, an actual personal invite in living colour would be something a historian and guest would want to try and preserve in pristine condition.

It was amazing how cold and rainy it was, with "sideways" rain as they kept describing it and yet every person-in-the-street interview was with people who were happy anyway and really enjoying themselves. Can't let weather win if an occasion is grand enough, definitely. Just keep calm, carry on, and smile.

My dearest mum would have absolutely loved seeing the ceremony and all the coverage. I'm really missing her this weekend. (Not unlike a lot of other weekends, days, months, moments). She may have even travelled over to be there in person. Oh well, maybe they can see it from heaven. :)

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 05/07/2023 07:23PM by Nightingale.

Date: May 07, 2023 08:16PM

I guess I am a bad and disloyal "subject" as I have watched none of the ceremony. I change channels when a clip comes on. My bad. My monarchist Scottish mum would not understand.

Date: May 07, 2023 08:34PM

Watch it if only for the brilliantly timed military parade. I promise you won't get tainted in any way.

Date: May 07, 2023 09:37PM

I'll pass Kentish. I was raised knowing I was the same age as Chuck and surrounded by images and trinkets to remind me but I just don't care about the monarchy now. I wish Canada would do away with it
I am not alone in that belief.

Date: May 07, 2023 10:05PM

How does it impact you on any real level in Canada? How would you even notice it was gone? Not arguing just wanting to know the realities.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.