Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: blindguy ( )
Date: May 07, 2023 02:04PM

I think the Cleon Skousen and Moms for Liberty supporters (from another thread) would vehemently argue the point. Nevertheless, the taught history of the U.S. is filled with many factual errors, some accidentally and some purposely left in place.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: summer ( )
Date: May 07, 2023 05:38PM

Having toured Mt. Vernon (George Washington's home,) and Monticello (Thomas Jefferson's home,) I was not left with the impression that either man was overly religious. There was no evidence of their religious beliefs that I saw. Instead, there was abundant evidence that they took great interest in their homes, their families, daily life, and what was going on in the larger world. Jefferson (of course) had a great interest in architecture, and Washington in agriculture, as demonstrated by his extensive home gardens. I recall Washington's home office as showing an interest in science, geography, and world affairs. They both come off as having been remarkable men. We were lucky to have them as some of our founding fathers.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: May 07, 2023 06:07PM

Jefferson made his own Bible. He cut out all the miraculous stuff and left only Jesus, his teachings, and his life.

Also indicative of the founders' ambivalence was the separation of church and state. For if you believe there is one God and he speaks to you and your group, then it is immoral not to unite church and state. That's the logic of today's radical evangelists--and they are right.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: May 08, 2023 11:53AM

He prayed that he would be able to own more humans than he already owned.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: May 08, 2023 03:19PM

Hell they painted Washington like he’s a God on the top of the US Capitol rotunda. Any figure that popular get’s portrayed in all sorts of exaggerated ways.

Washington was a military man and he probably cussed like one.

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: May 08, 2023 07:34PM

https://founders.archives.gov/documents/Washington/03-05-02-0415

General Orders, 3 August 1776
General Orders

Head Quarters, New York, August 3rd 1776.

Parole: Uxbridge.Countersign: Virginia

That the Troops may have an opportunity of attending public worship, as well as take some rest after the great fatigue they have gone through; The General in future excuses them from fatigue duty on Sundays (except at the Ship Yards, or special occasions) until further orders.1 The General is sorry to be informed that the foolish, and wicked practice, of profane cursing and swearing (a Vice heretofore little known in an American Army) is growing into fashion; he hopes the officers will, by example, as well as influence, endeavour to check it, and that both they, and the men will reflect, that we can have little hopes of the blessing of Heaven on our Arms, if we insult it by our impiety, and folly; added to this, it is a vice so mean and low, without any temptation, that every man of sense, and character, detests and despises it.

Clarkson and Chase under confinement for Desertion, and reinlistment into the Artillery, from another Corps, to return to Capt: Bauman’s Company until Col. Ellmores Regiment, wh. claims them, comes into camp.

Posted by: kentish ( )
Date: May 08, 2023 04:23PM

You mean Friberg's illustration was not just out of proportion? Tell me it's not so. Next you will tell me Edison did not invent the light bulb and apple pie is not an American invention. Oh wait...

Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: May 08, 2023 04:38PM

America was not founded as a Christian nation. America was deliberately founded as a nation to be managed totally independent of religion.

First of all, America was founded principally as a means to facilitate commerce between the states. It was only later writers- mostly Christian evangelicals- who decided that there had to be some sort of divine purpose behind it.

And anyway: even if the founders had X, Y or Z in mind, that in no way requires me to follow their example. That was then. This is now.

Posted by: blindguy ( )
Date: May 08, 2023 07:53PM

...when it came to religion and what role it should play in government. For example, Patrick Henry, the founder best known for his quote of "Give me liberty or give me death!" was, in fact, very much an evangelical Christian who believed that Christianity should be at the heart of any independent government.

However, his views were not shared by everyone at the time, particularly Thomas Jefferson, who wrote the Declaration of Independence; and James Madison, who was the secretary at the convention that created the U.S. Constitution. While both men were Christians by birth, neither believed that the U.S. should be a Christian country--both were very involved with the Enlightenment philosophy movement at the time, and both were very aware of the (then) recent history of the European religious wars as well as what happened in some of the colonies that had single rofficial government religions prior to the Revolutionary War.

Posted by: TSCC ( )
Date: May 09, 2023 08:01AM

Jefferson wasn't religious, but I think Washington was a man of his time. That meant prayer, church every week and joining the Masons. Washington was not fanatical in his religion, but does seem to have practiced one. He makes reference to the Bible in some of his writings.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.